So what about Hartley? (1 Viewer)

Thick and Thin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I have not seen this discussed. I like Carney as a whole but he obviously doesn't have what he used to. I mean in a close game a point will cost a win! Is Hartley the answer? I think he is. The kickoffs have been less than stellar from Morestead, contributing to good field position for the opposing teams. Not sure where Coach is with Morestead but I hope he can come back soon. See ya John and all the best. Thanks for all you have done for my team. GEAUX SAINTS!! Through Thick and Thin

Carney is gonna be our kicker throughout the season. Hartley will kick next year.....We don't want to lose him so he'll be retained on the roster.. Morestead not only kicks but he tackles! when is the last time you 've seen a kicker make tackles? Carney missed from 50yds but was just wide, it would have been good from 58yds.

I have not seen this discussed. I like Carney as a whole but he obviously doesn't have what he used to. I mean in a close game a point will cost a win! Is Hartley the answer? I think he is. The kickoffs have been less than stellar from Morestead, contributing to good field position for the opposing teams. Not sure where Coach is with Morestead but I hope he can come back soon. See ya John and all the best. Thanks for all you have done for my team. GEAUX SAINTS!! Through Thick and Thin

I wouldn't put the missed xp on Carney. It seemed like the snap was off and Brunell had some trouble getting it down. It was bad timing though.

I thought the kickoffs have been good. Our coverage has been iffy at times, but the kicks have been good. I would like to see Morestead's punts get alittle more distance though.

Carney is gonna be our kicker throughout the season. Hartley will kick next year.....We don't want to lose him so he'll be retained on the roster.. Morestead not only kicks but he tackles! when is the last time you 've seen a kicker make tackles? Carney missed from 50yds but was just wide, it would have been good from 58yds.

I don't seem to quite understand this...

so if Hartley is going to be our kicker next year, why isn't he just our kicker this year...

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the missed xp on Carney. It seemed like the snap was off and Brunell had some trouble getting it down. It was bad timing though.

I thought the kickoffs have been good. Our coverage has been iffy at times, but the kicks have been good. I would like to see Morestead's punts get alittle more distance though.

I don't seem to quite understand this...

so if Hartley is going to be our kicker next year, why isn't he just our kicker this year...

Agree with the first part of your post, but to answer your question I think the main reason everyone see's us sticking with Carney for this year and switching to Hartley next is age. Carney is old and depending on how well we do he may or may not decide to retire after this season. Hartley is a good kicker at a young age, while not quite as reliable as Carney seems to be yet. Carney is very reliable from anything under 40 and we saw on Sunday he has the leg for the 50+ range still. Hartley is a young kicker and young kickers have a tendency to be inconsistent and nervous during big games, neither of which we want if the game is on the line.

As far as I see it Carney is our Kicker this year unless he suddently start to miss a lot of kicks. But aside from the kicking duties he was probably also brought in to help mentor Hartley, so that hopefully Hartley will be able to resume the full kicking duties next year.

With regards to Morsteads punts and distance, he has had no problems with distance in the previous games, but having your punter save your *** twice in a game and injuring his ankle, may have something to do with it. While it is nice to have a punter that can and will actually tackle it is IMHO not something that you want to do too often. Morstead is far too valuable as a punter/Kickoff to risk getting injured because the ST fails.

The extra point missed was not Carney's fault. The snap was a little high and then Burnell screwed it up placing it in position. Nothing Carney could do about it. The dude made a freaking 46 yard Field Goal to get us going at the start, what the **** else you want from him?

Morestead's kicking has been great. Great hang time, distance, and always in the corner. The reason the other teams get great field position is cause no one on special teams seem to be able to tackle or block for that matter.

Nobody is talking about how the long snapper Kyle is not as good as the one we cut earlier during the year.

I still say Carney kicks on Monday, then for 2 or three of the next games Hartley gets activated and given a shot. If he is meh or bad, Carney for the rest. If he's money, I think he holds onto the job w/Carney inactive until we need a spot. I was surprised at both the range and how close the old man was on that 50 yarder though. So it wouldn't suprise me to see us just stick with him.

Morestead got a sprained right (kicking side) ankle tackling Giants. Give him a bit of slack

It's going to be tough to keep two kickers if minor injuries start popping up. We're relatively healthy now. But what are we going to do when we have to inactivate 6 guys do to minor injuries and a kicker that doesn't kick? This could bite us later in the season with roster management.

Last edited:
Carney is a good kicker for us as long as he doesn't have to kick in Florida.

It's going to be tough to keep two kickers if minor injuries start popping up. We're relatively healthy now. But what are we going to do when we have to inactivate 6 guys do to minor injuries and a kicker that doesn't kick? This could bit us later in the season with roster management.

Exactly. Payton is already "pot committed" a little bit anyway on Hartley. He's taken extra measures to keep a spot for Hartley, and now we definitely need that spot with the injuries we have, especialy Evans. Now is the time to make the switch, mid season with a soft spot in our schedule after the falcons.

Nothing against Carney, it's just that I think we'll need someone who we can lean on to kick from long distance at some point as we approach the playoffs. I think Hartley can be a constitent kicker for us and provide an added dimension in kicking from long distance, and obviously Payton and co. do to - that is why he currently occupies a roster spot. Time to plug him in.

Carney is doing fine. Obviously he has lost some but I right now I take him over Hartley.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom