So what cool/inspiring places have you visited... (1 Viewer)

saintmdterps

Falling feels like flying til you hit the ground.
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
...and where would you like to visit? We've been discussing our family vacation and my wife want to take another cruise. I'd like to go someplace warm and just plant. I'm thinking along the lines of Cat Island in the Bahamas. I don't know squat about it, but I heard an interview with Sidney Poitier and he speaks highly of the place...

Cool places I've seen
1. Pikes Peak/Garden of the Gods-Colorado Springs-Real Mountains!!!
2. Shirley Heights, Antigua--unbelievably beautiful view of Falmouth and English Harbors
3. St. Thomas--my wife and I took a 1/2 day sail/snorkel cruise we still talk about.
4. Negril, Jamaica- Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!
5. New Orleans--Not kidding! I live in Maryland, and I love New Orleans. Many great memories already.
6. Barefoot Windjammer Cruise-Domenica, Isles de Saintes, Guadeloupe, Montserrat

Places I'd like to see..
1. The Himalayas-don't need to climb, just see from afar and meditate
2. Costa Rica-Surfing and beaches
3. The Big Sur-just want to drive up the highway
4. An African Safari--camera only
5. England/Ireland-must do pub crawl

So where've y'all been? Help me talk my wife out of being herded around like cattle on a cruise with 3,000 other people

Coolest place? Emerald Mound, Natchez Trace Parkway, atop the sun mound...at dawn...where the Natchez tribe once did human sacrifices.

The sun mound is the smaller mound atop the big mound.
natchez_emeraldmound.jpg

Dads, I figured you having been in the armed forces, you're pretty well-travelled. Very cool pic!

In no order

1. The coast along California around Monterrey
2. Masada at dawn
3. Pretty much any mountain summit after a good climb (I haven't climbed any big mountains, but it's great feeling to reach the top)
4. Cappadocia
5. Sailing the along the cayes of Belize, actually, just sailing in general - particularly sunrises and sunsets
6. I forget the name of this Buddhist temple at the top of a mountain outside of Chiang Mai
7. The Great Wall
8. The pyramids-- all of them (Giza, Saqqara, one in Belize)
9. Sliding down a dune in the Sahara in a jeep...
10. The desert at night -- Sedona, Sahara, the Wadi Rum
11. The Grand Canyon
12. The Temple Mount (Wailing Wall, Dome of the Rock) - Jerusalem in general
13. Eating ceviche on the pacific in Peru
14. A nightclub in Bogota
16. St Peter's Square in Rome - the Pieta is incredible, actually most churches in Rome and Florence have amazing art work... the Vatican museum is great
17 Neuschwanstein
18. The bottom of the Red Sea -- swimming with 30 hammerhead sharks
19. Anywhere with my kids
20. Rob Roy's grave in Scotland

Last edited:
the coolest place i have ever been is Niagra Falls....

other than that, Silver Dollar City in Branson City, Missouri.....:hihi:

In no order

1. The coast along California around Monterrey
2. Masada at dawn
3. Pretty much any mountain summit after a good climb (I haven't climbed any big mountains, but it's great feeling to reach the top)
4. Cappadocia
5. Sailing the along the cayes of Belize, actually, just sailing in general - particularly sunrises and sunsets
6. I forget the name of this Buddhist temple at the top of a mountain outside of Chiang Mai
7. The Great Wall
8. The pyramids-- all of them (Giza, Saqqara, one in Belize)
9. Sliding down a dune in the Sahara in a jeep...
10. The desert at night -- Sedona, Sahara, the Wadi Rum
11. The Grand Canyon
12. The Temple Mount (Wailing Wall, Dome of the Rock) - Jerusalem in general
13. Eating ceviche on the pacific in Peru
14. A nightclub in Bogota
16. St Peter's Square in Rome - the Pieta is incredible, actually most churches in Rome and Florence have amazing art work... the Vatican museum is great
17 Neuschwanstein
18. The bottom of the Red Sea -- swimming with 30 hammerhead sharks
19. Anywhere with my kids
20. Rob Roy's grave in Scotland
Hence the Name UncleTrvlingJim. What kind of job or jobs did you have that enabled you to see so much? I'm impressed, that's a great list.

17 Mile Drive Carmel and Carmel area in California.
Carmel beach watching the sun set on the Pacific
Hiking through the Giant Redwoods

Favorite place and time I had was taking my son at 3 years old up the Mt Blackmore trail in Bozeman for a day hike up to the 10000 foot summit and looking towards the Grand Tetons. He walked all of it himself.

Attachments

• image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
Coolest place was all of Rio de Janiero, Brazil. I was at Copacabana Beach when it hit midnight to become January 1, 2000. Over 2 million people were there.

Hence the Name UncleTrvlingJim. What kind of job or jobs did you have that enabled you to see so much? I'm impressed, that's a great list.

I think most of that list was from backpacking... I've worked on projects with the DOD, and that brought me a few places as well....

Holly Beach before Rita, along with the Pogie boats. Also, in the marsh somewhere between Delacroix and Ycloskey on a cool ,windy morning in December after Katrina, walking near the muskrat traps.

Homer, Alaska. It's pretty cool to go all the way to the End of the Road.
D016_0032.jpg

The most inspiring place I've ever visited was the Vietnam Wall in D.C.-- the emotion was palpable, it made me feel proud to be an American and I'll never forget it. Anyway, that's really close to where you live and I'm sure you've been there.

I noticed you have New Orleans on your list, but I'm not sure if you realize what a great place NOLA is to visit with children. It's a reallyneat place to teach the kids about history in a fun way; the Quarter in the daytime has lots of neat tours and attractions, the Plantation Tours are awesome and of course the Katrina devastation tours are a must. If your kids have never lived in NOLA, they'd probably love the swamp tours, and of course the Audobon Zoo is world-class. Also the aquarium and the Children's Museum are top-notch. There's also the D-day Museum and the best food your children will have experienced in their young lives... I'm telling you, I look back on growing up there and marvel at all the cool stuff that the Children of New Orleans get to do that other kids around the country never get to experience..........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom