So what did the Ravens do against the second best run defense in the NFL (3.3 ypc) (1 Viewer)

Whats scary is Jackson still has a ton of growing to do as a passer. If he ever gets that part of his game down, that's going to be ridiculous.
Yeah and he's not that far off from dominating in the passing game as well. Much closer than most people will give him credit for. His QB rating is 110 with 24 TDs to only 5 Ints and another 6 rushing TDs, mastering the complete QB position. Quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah and he's not that far off from dominating in the passing game as well. Much closer than most people will give him credit for. His QB rating is 110 with 24 TDs to only 5 Ints and another 6 rushing TDs, mastering the complete QB position. Quickly.

The fact that he runs so well really sets him up in the passing game. As soon as he gets inured running the ball, his passing stats will collapse as well. He's not the first dual threat QB and he won't be the last, but they all fizzle out unspectacularly in the end.

Remember that tie they gave Cam an MVP?

He won't get it down, because every time he gets into a tough spot as a passer he will run instead of taking a sack and learning how to play better in the pocket next time.
I'll take him running for 38 yards vs waiting to get sacked.

That makes absolutely no sense. And Jackson actually looks to throw first vs running with it. If he scrambles out of the pocket he keeps his eyes downfield and tries to find somebody open.

The Ravens are definitely lighting up the league, but...I have a feeling that they will come crashing down to Earth in the playoffs.

I have no statistics or hard facts to back up my belief- just a strong hunch.

They are fun to watch, though.

I think at some point a team with a running QB (maybe the Ravens) is going to change the way front offices look at the "franchise QB". Guys like Lamar Jackson are at their best in their first 6-8 years. If I was the Ravens GM, I would draft another guy in the same mold in the next 2 years. Use your QBs like teams use their RBs. Only keep a running QB through his rookie contract and and give him an extension only if he is good. I think teams are sometime too worried about moving on from a young QB they invested in. Always have a back up that can take over in case of injury and if possible use the back up at other positions while he wait in the wings (like Payton and Taysom). That can save 15-20M in cape space a year and you can use that money to build around you short-medium term QB.

When a QB is a runner, the percentage for his getting injured increases dramatically.

Yes, they are cashing in big time. But they're one hard hit (on "Action Jackson") away from his being sidelined.

Having said that, the Ravens are probably the scariest team in the NFL right now. Ingram in the backfield is also a big factor.

:gosaints:

I'll take him running for 38 yards vs waiting to get sacked.

That makes absolutely no sense. And Jackson actually looks to throw first vs running with it. If he scrambles out of the pocket he keeps his eyes downfield and tries to find somebody open.

He's got 124 rushing attempts in 11 games, he aint looking very hard.

And yes, if you consider one play at a time, running for 38 yds seems preferable to getting sacked, but superbowls aren't won with 38 yd scrambles in week 7. He's going to get hurt and he's not going to learn to read progressions like a top tier qb.

Who was the last qb to win a superbowl with even half the rushing attempts lamar has? It's gimmicky and doesn't work in the post season. He'll go the same way as Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young, Collin Kaepernick etc.

I think at some point a team with a running QB (maybe the Ravens) is going to change the way front offices look at the "franchise QB". Guys like Lamar Jackson are at their best in their first 6-8 years. If I was the Ravens GM, I would draft another guy in the same mold in the next 2 years. Use your QBs like teams use their RBs. Only keep a running QB through his rookie contract and and give him an extension only if he is good. I think teams are sometime too worried about moving on from a young QB they invested in. Always have a back up that can take over in case of injury and if possible use the back up at other positions while he wait in the wings (like Payton and Taysom). That can save 15-20M in cape space a year and you can use that money to build around you short-medium term QB.

I like this way of thinking. It seems vastly superior to signing running qbs to 20 million a year contracts only for them to get hurt and fizzzle out.

I’ll eat crow on this one. I totally misjudged his heart for the game. Coming out of the draft, I thought he was simply a speedster with a big inaccurate arm that would not be able to run an NFL style offense. Mentally, this kid has it and has a bigger work ethic than talent it seems. Cheering for him. He has gained a fan.

He's got 124 rushing attempts in 11 games, he aint looking very hard.

And yes, if you consider one play at a time, running for 38 yds seems preferable to getting sacked, but superbowls aren't won with 38 yd scrambles in week 7. He's going to get hurt and he's not going to learn to read progressions like a top tier qb.

Who was the last qb to win a superbowl with even half the rushing attempts lamar has? It's gimmicky and doesn't work in the post season. He'll go the same way as Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young, Collin Kaepernick etc.

Being that I live in Ravens/Redskins country, I see the Ravens play quite a bit. Jackson is miles better than any of those guys.

Their offense fits him like a glove and their ground game is easily the best in the league. They have Jackson, Ingram and 2 other solid backs in the rotation. Their OL is crazy good.

Jackson can make any throw he wants and he's getting more and more accurate.

What's more is the Ravens' defense has found their groove. I think they'll beat the 9ers, but it's still gonna be a fun game to watch. I'm looking forward to it.

There is nothing gimmicky about the way Jackson plays and I think he'll be fine in the playoffs. They beat the Pats already and I think they would beat them again as long as the officials call it evenly. We'll see I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom