So... Where was you the last time Saints got shut out? (1 Viewer)

Gesundheit!

My 1st duty assignment in 1973 was a SAC (Strategic Air Command) unit at Robins AFB, GA.
(I worked on the electronics of a Hound Dog missile - sort of a precursor to air launched cruise missiles. A B-52 carried one under each wing.)

(I presume SAC was a long ago forerunner of USSTRATCOM.)

SAC Motto: "Peace is our Profession"

To which GI's added, "War is just a Hobby"
I’m familiar with the Hound Dog. For years, there was a model of the hound dog in front of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

SAC was STRATCOM before it was called STRATCOM. I think it was a recent change, some time in the 90s.

I’ve never heard that motto but that’s hilarious! We loved to talk about warheads on foreheads and I always thought it was just a clever quip…That’s until I got to see footage of B1s literally dropping bombs on badguys faces from 30K feet. Pretty incredible and also horrifying, that is, if you’re on the wrong end of the AF’s target list.

Last edited:
still a kid that didn't care about stuff like this- possibly still soiling myself at that point idk. But this is definitely the first time this has happened since I've been old enough to do long division and definitely the first time since i truly cared!

That was the first year we were in the same section together watching that debacle of a game.
That was the year before we moved to Texas. My uncle ended up giving up those seats after Katrina. I tried to buy them back but couldn’t get them and ended up on the other end of the stadium. I finally gave up those seats this season.

January 6, 2002 - I was in my comfortable chair in our apartment watching that disaster against the 49ers. Jeff freakin Garcia. The day before, January 5th, the contractors had completed all of the piping/plumbing on the lot that would eventually become our first home. Even though that game sucked, I was so happy to be building a home that it couldn’t bring me down. I was 25 years old at the time and my heart and soul were still very tightly wrapped up in the Saints, so every loss would usually have me bummed out for a few days, but not that one. My wife and I were in the early stages of our marriage with no kids, no pets - just us.

It’s funny that we’re talking about this now because I’ve just accepted a position that will move us to Canton, OH and that same house will now be on the market soon - 20 plus years later. We have two kids - our son is 18 and wrapping up his first semester of college and our daughter is 17 preparing to graduate from high school in May. While I still love my Saints, that grip on my heart and soul has been gone for some time now so I watch them and I’m alright no matter the outcome. Don’t get me wrong, I love when they win and it sucks when they lose, and this season is definitely a :jpshakehead: at best, but it’s just sports.

And NO - I will never root for the Browns or Bengals 🤢 or any other team for that matter. Only the Saints - forever.

My Brother and I watching the game... Drinking Jack Daniels and hollering DEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE ! Our kids, not old enough yet to be invested in watching the game. They'd start to watch with us, but they always ended up bailing and go find something else to do. They would claim to hear me and my brother hollering at the T.V. from the down the street. My brother would pass away 2 years later. Never got to see and enjoy the Drew Brees Era. by the 2006 season, had all the kids invested in the Saints.

That was the year before we moved to Texas. My uncle ended up giving up those seats after Katrina. I tried to buy them back but couldn’t get them and ended up on the other end of the stadium. I finally gave up those seats this season.
Yeah, after that, I moved over and hung out with Jim in 318 until the civil war (divorce proceedings) kicked off. 318 was good times until they included it in the club section and started pricing a lot of regulars out.

Last edited:
I was 31, my wife was pregnant with our first kid (born in May '02). I remember thinking, "how big of a change could it really be to have a kid? No big deal." Yeah. Whoops.

I don't remember this game in particular, but I do vividly remember sitting in our old shotgun house watching the SB being played in the Dome a few weeks later and rooting like hell for the scrappy underdog New England Patriots and unproven QB Tom Brady to throttle the stupid Rams and fat Mike Martz.

We moved to the NFC South that fall and totally lost a bitter rival in the Rams. That was a shame.

In a sports bar in Ohio, early 20's, the prime of my life ahead of me.

I'm 43 now with only half of my prime left...

After the game, straight home to my dial-up internet PC and Saintsrep...err...Iron Era to vent and lament the end of a lost season and regression from the previous year's playoff team. I tend to avoid the board after losses these days.

Having been a Saints fan for 36 years since their inception, having retired from the Air Force for 4 years, I was working at Flight Safety International in Wilmington, DE maintaining flight simulators for regional commuter planes crew training.
1669598068938.png

So funny you found a job in DE after retiring from the AF…I’m just down the road in Newark with my new job, freshly retired.

So funny you found a job in DE after retiring from the AF…I’m just down the road in Newark with my new job, freshly retired.
Why do they pronounce Newark as New-Ark in DE? : - )

I know I went there a few times, but I don't recall why exactly - mostly just riding through.

Thoroughly enjoyed my *2 years* in DE - did a lot of motorcycle riding in the region including riding in SCRC group rides in PA, NJ, MD and VA. (I also revamped an online site of an automobile tour of 10 covered bridges in the region (DE, MD and PA) to a total of 13 bridges for an awesome motorcycle ride!)

I quit after 2 years because I wanted to do more travelling around the country.

(Before leaving DE, I got to ride in Rolling Thunder 2002 in DC which was the first Rolling Thunder ride after 9/11 - it was fun to watch the continual flow of motorcycles into the Pentagon parking lot prior to the ride - LOTs of different motorcycles and riders "of all shapes and sizes" rolling in from all across the country.)

(Also did a ride from PA up to the Eagle's Nest in NY, and... did a 15-day Most Excellent Adventure with a small group of PA and NJ SCRC riders up to Maine via NY, VT, NH, and MA!)(I actually left a week earlier than the group and went to NH via Cape Cod, MA)

(Sorry for this "motorcycle tangent"...)

Did we get shut out in 2002? Thought it was during Ditka days? But I know prior to that, you had to go back to like 1985 or 86.

EDIT: I remember know, it was what? 9-0 score from Bucs was it or Broncos? Aaron Brooks was dropping and fumbling all game. I recall also I think we got shut out in the Ditka era.

Starting a new job in Norcross, GA. My daughter went to same middle school as Alvin Kamara. Enjoyed the 9 years there, but it's been nice to be back home in Lafayette.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom