Poll So who's your preference to move to Guard: McCoy or Ruiz? (1 Viewer)

So who's your preference to move to Guard: McCoy or Ruiz?

• McCoy

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • Ruiz

Votes: 25 28.4%

• Total voters

oodank

BIG DOG!
Reaction score
Last season we all thought the Saints had found their center for the next 10yrs, and then the FO drafts another center in the 1ST ROUND. Is Ruiz a better center prospect than McCoy? Who's more athletic to pull/swing out in space? Do you make Drew learn another brand new center and the nuances with the snap exchange for a 2nd consecutive season in potentially his last season?

Ruiz is known for his smarts, which is one of the most important qualities in a center. I see him becoming our long-term C and McCoy moving over to RG. Both played some guard in college, so both are versatile, but I think Ruiz is the prototypical center.

Last edited:
Well here's what we know:

- A few months ago, Jeff Duncan said not to be surprised if McCoy was moved to guard.
- It's been well documented that the FO wasn't pleased with Warford's play last season.
- McCoy played very well in his rookie season, but the decline in presnap reads and assignments from Unger to McCoy was obvious at times.
- McCoy probably has the better physical profile and athleticism to man the RG spot than Ruiz.

The better longterm CEILING choice seems to be Ruiz at C and McCoy at RG, though they may decide, for CONTINUITY purposes in potentially Brees' final year, to keep McCoy at C for the short term.

My money is on Ruiz at C and McCoy at RG, assuming they're able to orchestrate a trade for Warford in exchange for a 2nd or 3rd. That would really tie all this together and conjure up the Loomis gifs.

Well here's what we know:

- A few months ago, Jeff Duncan said not to be surprised if McCoy was moved to guard.
- It's been well documented that the FO wasn't pleased with Warford's play last season.
- McCoy played very well in his rookie season, but the decline in presnap reads and assignments from Unger to McCoy was obvious at times.
- McCoy probably has the better physical profile and athleticism to man the RG spot than Ruiz.

The better longterm CEILING choice seems to be Ruiz at C and McCoy at RG, though they may decide, for CONTINUITY purposes in potentially Brees' final year, to keep McCoy at C for the short term.

My money is on Ruiz at C and McCoy at RG, assuming they're able to orchestrate a trade for Warford in exchange for a 2nd or 3rd. That would really tie all this together and conjure up the Loomis gifs.

I was just coming on to say the same thing....for CONTINUITY purposes in potentially Brees' final year, to keep McCoy at C for the short term....

Good post. If I didn't know better, I would think you are in Payton's head.

Last season we all thought the Saints had found their center for the next 10yrs, and then the FO drafts another center in the 1ST ROUND. Is Ruiz a better center prospect than McCoy? Who's more athletic to pull/swing out in space? Do you make Drew learn another brand new center and the nuances with the snap exchange for a 2nd consecutive season in potentially his last season?
He (Ruiz), will compete at guard.

I don't think Peat is that good but apparently they do. I thought McCoy did good last year but apparently he didn't. A first ground grade is better than a 2nd round grade.
We'll see

Who generally commands a higher salary, free agency-wise? Guards or centers?

The lack of a rookie camp, and OTA's and, possibly, a short training camp makes me think that maybe Ruiz either plays guard this season and moves to center next season or he begins the season as a backup while he masters the line calls and develops a rapport with Breesus.

I'm guessing they will compete at camp and coaches will make the decision. (If there is a camp)
As much as we all say how much we hate preseason games, they just got more importanter [sic] ... at least for this year. Also important is the amount of self-starters you have, the guys that don't show up in camp out of shape.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom