Poll So who's your preference to move to Guard: McCoy or Ruiz? (1 Viewer)

So who's your preference to move to Guard: McCoy or Ruiz?

• McCoy

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • Ruiz

Votes: 25 28.4%

• Total voters
With a doubt McCoy is moving to guard IMO. I mean as soon as the pick was announced that was my conclusion. They seem prefer someone with more knowledge getting the correct calls & adjustments at the center position. I mean he was only rookie and would likely get it down with more experience. I just hope we not wasting his talent moving him to guard. McCoy was one of the top centers in last years draft and we desperately needed one. But with Warford play in somewhat “decline” than they saw Ruiz as the more safe pick IMO.

Ruiz has a far more chance at not being a bust than someone like Queen. I think Payton’s track record with linebackers had such a huge influence on that pick without a doubt. I just want to know what happens if Warford takes this challenge and plays some of his best ball if we keep him for depth. He’s only like 28 years old, so he can’t be in too much “decline”. If he beats out McCoy due to experience then I’ll be even more ticked off. They better hope McCoy or Ruiz can play guard effectively

I wish Murray would of fell one more spot and we would of taken him since he would of been the best pick for us by far IMO.

Last edited:
Can anybody think of any reason that the Saints would pick LSU's Cushenberry, in the 3rd @ 88?
CFN has him as our pick.
I don't think we need 4 C on the roster.

Kiper says Ruiz will slide to guard, for whatever that is worth...

We have had great success drafting OL and putting them in the right spots. I could care less whether center goes to McCoy or Ruiz and trust in the coaches to make that decision in camp. Either way we should be improved in the interior OL. Now if only we could get something for Warford!

Can anybody think of any reason that the Saints would pick LSU's Cushenberry, in the 3rd @ 88?
CFN has him as our pick.
Would let us get rid of Warford and Easton, saving more than $12 million on the cap this year. I think it's incredibly unlikely, but there is a case to be made for it.

CFN has him as our pick.

You can never have too many good centers.
If it was up to me, the whole team would be centers.
We would snap the ball down the field, and snap it away from opposing offenses. It would be revolutionary and we would usher in a new golden era of the NFL.

I think the plan is to have Ruiz play center. Sean probably don’t want commit based on what happened when we drafted Peat and pegged him on the right side of the line and it failed miserably.

I think the plan is to have Ruiz play center. Sean probably don’t want commit based on what happened when we drafted Peat and pegged him on the right side of the line and it failed miserably.
It seems the indications are this is right. Either way this will not go the way of the Peat Draft. He was chosen number 13 overall to be a tackle. Tackles get chosen higher and paid more for their scarcity and importance. That he was able to convert to guard just mitigated what would otherwise be a complete disaster. What we have is a new interior lineman who will very likely be a really good one. Those three inner positions translate better to the pro level than tackles and skill positions. Whichever ends up playing center, as long as they both are starters playing well as a unit, there is no egg on the face.

That still makes the mock pick @ 88 of Cushenberry, look ridiculous.

CFN has him as our pick.
It depends on what they do after.

If they cut/trade Easton and Warford and use the cap savings to plug holes with veterans who make the team better then I'm all for it. Veterans will probably do more for the 1-2 years that Brees has left more than a rookie.

I think they'll work all that out in camp. I don't think drafting Ruiz is a knock on McCoy at all. I think it's planning for life after Warford which may not happen til 2021. THAT's what's going to be interesting to me. Do we hang on to Warford? I know his play has deteriorated the past couple seasons, but he is still a starting NFL guard. Even mediocre OL is hard to find. Same with Easton... He's pretty decent at any interior OL position. With Peat's ability to play LG and LT... We're deeper at OL than any other team.

Now if we trade or cut Warford, we'd still be good, but nowhere near as deep. I still think he's a better player than Clapp and Tom. But if the price is right, I can see a trade. If not, I'd rather have him on the team this season, whether he's starting or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom