So You're Saying There's a Chance (2013 Steelers) (1 Viewer)

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/pittsburgh-steelers-missed-playoffs-field-goal-ryan-succop/amp?client=safari

After three weeks of having every single break fall their way, the Pittsburgh Steelers, left for dead at 5-8, were somehow just one kick away from making the playoffs.

Three straight wins and Week 16 and 17 losses by all the teams ahead of them left the 8-8 Steelers needing the Kansas City Chiefs, a team resting most of its key starters before next week’s wild card game, to defeat the San Diego Chargers, who were fighting for their playoff lives. Miraculously, the Chiefs had a chance to win the game late on a 41-yard field goal. Ryan Succop had only missed once this year from so close a distance. You know what happened next.

The Steelers did not have this result go their way but absolutely everything went their way up until that point in this absurd Chiefs game. This football team isn't dead yet. Panthers need to win tonight and then we need a lot of breaks to go our way but we are still in it. Who Dat!

Didn't something similar happen under Haslett? I think it was the year we traded for Mckenzie. Fought back from 4-8 to get to 8-8, and a kicker in another game missed a last second field goal to keep us out.

As awesome as it would be, I just don't think it will happen. If Was wins its over.

All this has to happen for Saints to get in:

1. Saints win out (TB and @Atl). Duh!
2. Redskins - lose out (Car, @Chi, and NYG)
3. Packers - lose out (Min and @Det)
4. Bucs - lose out (@NO and Car)

Additionally, these events will push the Vikings and the Panthers into the playoff picture.

5. Vikings - win (@GBl) and lose (Chi)
6 Panthers - win (@Was and TB) and lose (Atl)

This would put us in a 4-way tie with GB, Min, and TB. Tie breaker is head to head then conference record. Min beat GB twice so the packers are out. We split with TB and neither have played Min so we move to conference record. We would edge out the Bucs 7-5 to 6-6. We in!

If everything in this happens except the Panthers win out then we would have tie at 8-8 and a head to head split and the same conference record. Which means the 3rd tie breaker step is w/l in like games. We have the same record as the Panthers against TB, Atl, SD, Oak, Dem and KC. The only game different a different w/l is against the Seahawks, who we beat. Therefore still win.

Tl/dr: a lot of variable with a sliver of possibility

As awesome as it would be, I just don't think it will happen. If Was wins its over.

All this has to happen for Saints to get in:

1. Saints win out (TB and @Atl). Duh!
2. Redskins - lose out (Car, @Chi, and NYG)
3. Packers - lose out (Min and @Det)
4. Bucs - lose out (@NO and Car)

Additionally, these events will push the Vikings and the Panthers into the playoff picture.

5. Vikings - win (@GBl) and lose (Chi)
6 Panthers - win (@Was and TB) and lose (Atl)

This would put us in a 4-way tie with GB, Min, and TB. Tie breaker is head to head then conference record. Min beat GB twice so the packers are out. We split with TB and neither have played Min so we move to conference record. We would edge out the Bucs 7-5 to 6-6. We in!

If everything in this happens except the Panthers win out then we would have tie at 8-8 and a head to head split and the same conference record. Which means the 3rd tie breaker step is w/l in like games. We have the same record as the Panthers against TB, Atl, SD, Oak, Dem and KC. The only game different a different w/l is against the Seahawks, who we beat. Therefore still win.

Tl/dr: a lot of variable with a sliver of possibility

So you're saying there's a chance?

Didn't something similar happen under Haslett? I think it was the year we traded for Mckenzie. Fought back from 4-8 to get to 8-8, and a kicker in another game missed a last second field goal to keep us out.

Not according to Rick Venturi "we're in!".

doug brien screwed us

doug brien screwed us

He was the final nail. Herm Edwards screwed us playing for OT rather than going for the win in regulation. They were driving at will deep into Rams territory the he just sat on the ball to set up the chipshot FG to force OT.

If they'd have pushed for it, the could have won that one in regulation.

people always say why do you want to get in and lose. if you don't make it you cant lose, if you get in who knows what team shows up... might pull off three in a row...

Well I think the Bears can win at home against the Redskins and I could see the Vikings winning at Lambeau after that complete dud they produced against the Colts. One week at a time. Just need those two things to happen plus a Saints win to live to fight in week 17!

At least we're still alive this week. The Bears winning two weeks in a row isn't very likely. At this point, I doubt we win the last two games.

You have to wonder if Haz would have bought himself another year after the Katrina fiasco with a Wildcard appearance in 2004.

I think we would have played the Packers in Lambeau, where they lost pretty badly to Minnesota - I'm pretty sure that was Stallpepper's insane MVP-quality year - so who knows? That Doug Brien miss might have been a blessing in disguise.

Yes and we had an incredible win @CAROLINA that final week. I still remember a long TD pass Brooks to Hollywood and a Pathon TD maybe?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom