So Zion thinks he's ready to play... (1 Viewer)

Would you play Zion in the playoffs?

• Total voters
I will once again show my ignorance of the NBA, but I cannot believe that the Pelicans are not playing Zion. I can understand if Zion's medical condition is such that he should not be playing, but that does not appear to be the case.

He is under contract. He wants to play. If he can help the Pelicans in the playoffs, you play him. It is possible that the team's success this year might contribute to a reset taking place between the Pelicans and Zion. But if he can play and wants to play, and the Pelicans refuse to play him, then I can understand Zion being upset, and I can see the team's refusal to play him as the final act in what appears to be a challenging relationship. Again, playing him can only help the team. And playing him might help with building a relationship between the team and a young player who has the talent to be a superstar. The NBA is a superstar league. If healthy, Zion has more talent than anyone else on the roster. And if they can bring Zion back into the fold, the Pelicans would have the talent to seriously compete for a championship and be one of the most exciting teams in the league. If he leaves, Zion will join Chris Paul and Anthony Davis as the third big-name player to leave theis team.

I simply do not understand what the organizatiuon is doing.

I will once again show my ignorance of the NBA, but I cannot believe that the Pelicans are not playing Zion. I can understand if Zion's medical condition is such that he should not be playing, but that does not appear to be the case.

He is under contract. He wants to play. If he can help the Pelicans in the playoffs, you play him. It is possible that the team's success this year might contribute to a reset taking place between the Pelicans and Zion. But if he can play and wants to play, and the Pelicans refuse to play him, then I can understand Zion being upset, and I can see the team's refusal to play him as the final act in what appears to be a challenging relationship. Again, playing him can only help the team. And playing him might help with building a relationship between the team and a young player who has the talent to be a superstar. The NBA is a superstar league. If healthy, Zion has more talent than anyone else on the roster. And if they can bring Zion back into the fold, the Pelicans would have the talent to seriously compete for a championship and be one of the most exciting teams in the league. If he leaves, Zion will join Chris Paul and Anthony Davis as the third big-name player to leave theis team.

It certainly feels like we are missing part of the story.

I think he is going to be traded to the knicks. The Front Office doesn’t want him to get injured.David Griffin sees the winning record with BI playing. They need a pure PG. I think they want Obi Toppen and picks until 2026

My issue is that, if healthy, he is a dominant talent who will sell tickets and put people in seats. Admittedly, we don't know the full story. But he comes across as immature, not a bad character. If possible, the Pelicans should try to be salvaging the relationship. By not playing him, the team seems to be blowing up all bridges.

My issue is that, if healthy, he is a dominant talent who will sell tickets and put people in seats. Admittedly, we don't know the full story. But he comes across as immature, not a bad character. If possible, the Pelicans should try to be salvaging the relationship. By not playing him, the team seems to be blowing up all bridges.
He may be a good kid. But in these situations you are also dealing with his family and agents. And those entities tend to damage and manipulate small market teams. It may be a matter of protecting the culture that's been achieved. Or it could simply be that his bone scans still show injury.

We aren't even supposed to be here... so the FO's plan to ride off into the sunset and make decisions on Zion this summer are getting exposed. It's all about Risk vs Reward. This summer we are going to max contract Zion. That will look really foolish if he goes out and get's hurt again. Then, my guess is that they are going to try to get a king's ransom for him in a trade... OR... he's the future of your team and makes you a playoff contender. Either way, if he get's hurt that's all out the window. So, just sit him, claim he's not fully healed or not fully in shape, and just get to the damn summer.

Well, CJ, BI, and the rookies (including the rookie coach) have "ruined" that plan. Even if we pulled off a play-in miracle, we were supposed to get beat bad by the Suns. Now we have the Suns on the ropes, with really no better team behind them, and everyone wants to see Zion to ensure a shot at a championship. I still think the FO doesn't think we have a championship shot, at least not this year. If we get past the Suns, that may change and the future may be now, but until then, they seem to be sticking to their plan of preserving Zion's health, signing him to a max contract, and either prepping for next year's run or trading him for years worth of assets to keep us competitive for the long run.

This is one of the things that makes it so hard for the Pelicans to even sniff the Saints' fanship.

Every flippin time the Pelicans gets a star ... they HAVE to end up elsewhere? Every time? Really? If that's what the NBA is built around, contract to 6 teams and get the flip out of New Orleans and quit wasting everyone's time.

A must listen interview (post game 6):

"Anyone who knows me, knows I want to be here." - Zion

I agree with the decision not to play Zion this season. 5-on-5 pickup games after practice is a lot different than playoff game speed. Reintegrating him into the team over the offseason is by far the smarter move.

With a top 10 lottery pick a virtual certainty, who they select with that pick will speak volumes about Zion's future in New Orleans.

That interview makes me think I might have been right about Zion. I had posted in here that I thought he really was ready to leave with the bad personnel moves and Stan Van Gundy (and said I didn't blame him), but what he saw in Willie Green and the team chemistry changed his mind (not to mention making the playoffs but he had already rejoined and was involved with the team before that happened)

The other thing that people forget is that this kid has ALWAYS dominated and always gone 110% on the court. Nagging injuries and not being out there had to have been torture and he admitted as much in the interview (saying he was mentally in a bad place). Remember....he is still barely an adult

I'll give him the benefit of any doubt until I hear otherwise...this is still the same kid that stepped up and was willing to pay the lost wages for the Smoothie King staff when Covid hit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom