Soccer is growing on me, but (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
Sticky Post
I want to follow a team, but can’t figure out which one, which league, etc

I have no ties to any English Premier League cities or any MLS teams.

I can’t get into to it without pulling/following a team. Looking for one with a good forum like SSF. I’m confused.

bleedblk&gld

Choppin broccoli
Ratings
Let me translate that for you instead.

Two sports that use the same strategies and tactics as well as physical and mental demand... one is Infinitely more exciting and fun to watch while the other is boring.

Every meme you’re posting is pointing to the roll around on the ground excuse. Meaning you probably think it’s a wimpy sport and hockey is all powerful and mighty.

On top of not knowing the game you probably share the same sentiment as most American football fans. It’s not guys trying to knock each other’s heads off so you think it’s soft.

Again, ignorance. I’ll be happy to have you come train with my u23 group and we’ll see how wimpy you think it is.

I think a run with Vinnie Jones would give you a proper showing.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Every meme you’re posting is pointing to the roll around on the ground excuse. Meaning you probably think it’s a wimpy sport and hockey is all powerful and mighty.

On top of not knowing the game you probably share the same sentiment as most American football fans. It’s not guys trying to knock each other’s heads off so you think it’s soft.

Again, ignorance. I’ll be happy to have you come train with my u23 group and we’ll see how wimpy you think it is.

I think a run with Vinnie Jones would give you a proper showing.
Lmao, "YOU CAN'T DO IT SO YOU DON'T HAVE A SAY SO!!!!" So ignorant!!!!

Bull Plops.

I can't play Hockey either, but I'll watch it over Soccer all day every day.

bleedblk&gld

Choppin broccoli
Ratings
Lmao, "YOU CAN'T DO IT SO YOU DON'T HAVE A SAY SO!!!!"

Bull Plops.

I can't play Hockey either, but I'll watch it over Soccer all day every day.
Actually no, I’m going off of every picture that you’re posting about soccer.

It’s a very shallow argument not to watch soccer because the occasional player sells their injury a little more than needed.

If you don’t watch it because you don’t understand it, then all gravy. Just don’t spew your hate because you’re ignorant to the sport.

Somebody mentioned it before but let me kick you in the ankle or step on your foot with soccer cleats on. I guarantee you your reaction will be more dramatic than you think.

That’s all, I’m done with you. Go watch those big ole tough real men beating on each other. Murica

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Bro, i just explained how its the same strat and tactics as Hockey, and its boring to watch people run around for nearly 2 hours. Get off the ignorant rant and accept the fact that some people don't like soccer for more than just your simple take.

p0pe

d0pe
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Same exact strats, right.
Bro, i just explained how its the same strat and tactics as Hockey, and its boring to watch people run around for nearly 2 hours. Get off the ignorant rant and accept the fact that some people don't like soccer for more than just your simple take.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
You’re the one who came to the soccer thread with the soccer fans to shirt on soccer. You’re not going to convince anyone so what’s the point? No one cares what you think about soccer any more than what you think about anyone here.

You’ve made your point. We get it. Kcirdor doesn’t like soccer. It’s in the books, you can go now.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Ratings
You’re the one who came to the soccer thread with the soccer fans to shirt on soccer. You’re not going to convince anyone so what’s the point? No one cares what you think about soccer any more than what you think about anyone here.

You’ve made your point. We get it. Kcirdor doesn’t like soccer. It’s in the books, you can go now.
You see, though if someone is going to continue to attack my "knowledge of the game" and call me ignorant. I'm going to speak up, I don't care how emotional he gets.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Yep... Ignorant... here is Soccer players take on the similarities in tactics.
https://www.quora.com/What-strategies-tactics-are-common-to-both-ice-hockey-and-football-soccer

You're right, there are striking similarities between the two games. Playing soccer can help your hockey playing, and vice versa. Hockey players realize this, and often juggle a soccer ball before games because it helps with coordination of their feet.

1) For one, receiving a puck to your skates is extremely similar to receiving a soccer ball. The angle of the skate needs to be just right so as to deflect it towards your stick. Taking a touch in soccer and deflecting a puck with your skates are very similar because in both instances you must know where you want to go. Soccer players want to get the ball out of their feet and into space, and hockey players want to get it out of their feet and towards their stick.

2) The basic attacking and defending structures are also similar in both games. For instance, the most common pattern in hockey is to have two defencemen, two wings, and a centerman. Well isn't that extremely similar to the 4-4-2 formation in soccer, except miniaturized? Soccer formations utilize 4 defence, usually 2 wingers and 2 midfield players (plus strikers which are unique to soccer).

3) The responsibilities of midfield players in soccer are similar to the centerman in hockey because they track up and down the field, participating in both offence and defence.

4) Wingers in soccer are also similar to hockey wingers because they are meant to penetrate into the corners and then get the ball towards the net. In hockey you do the same thing, except you're able to go behind the net, something you can't do in soccer.

5) When a teammate don't have anyone to pass to, it is essential that the person on the ball/puck has at least two people to pass to. As Tom Stagliano noted, this is what creates triangles, something extremely beneficial for keeping possession. Both sports utilize this. In soccer this is quite a lot easier because you have more teammates, but the concept is the same.

6) Next time you watch hockey, notice how players sometimes come towards the puck if their teammate has possession. If their team is in the offensive end attacking, and a teammate is at the point with the puck, they will do something we call "showing" in soccer. Essentially, this means coming towards the puck/ball, giving your teammate someone to pass to.

7) Possession is an important tactic in both sports. In hockey, if your team can't keep the puck for ten seconds or more, you probably won't be able to get into the offensive end and score a goal. This is even more evident on power-plays where you want to keep possession of the puck until a shot opens up. The same concept applies for soccer; possession is kept until a scoring opportunity opens up.

8) It is essential that you get the puck/ball to the net. You're never going to score from the corner, something players in both sports know. That's why in hockey players will cycle the puck back to the point for a big shot, or throw the puck in front of the net to score a scramble goal. Soccer players do the exact same thing. We'll cycle it back to the attacking midfield player so that he can take a long-range effort from outside the 18 yard box, or we'll throw it into the 18 yard box via a cross to get a scramble/header goal.

9) Deception is a massive part of both sports. Hockey players will use similar shoulder-drops and fakes to those used in soccer. The effect is exactly the same: throwing off the defending player, making him think you are doing something you aren't. When I play hockey, I find that hockey defenders fall for the exact same basic moves I use in soccer (although I can't use my stopovers, sadly).

10) Choice of players before the game is also important. Coaches have to choose their lineup that has the best chemistry, and that has an often unnoticed effect on game. For example, the manner in which a hockey coach puts together his 4 lines changes everything. You don't want to put 1st line players with 4th liners, otherwise things don't really gel together. Soccer is similar in that you want players in your lineup who work well together and have chemistry. People often underestimate the effect of player choice by coaches on the outcome of the game.

There you have it, all the similarities between the two games that I can think of. Because I'm Canadian, and hockey is such a large part of our culture here, I've watched my fair share of the sport. Even though I'm a soccer player and not really a hockey player, the time I've spent watching hockey games wasn't lost time because what I learned from it can be applied on the soccer field.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Ratings
You see, though if someone is going to continue to attack my "knowledge of the game" and call me ignorant. I'm going to speak up, I don't care how emotional he gets.
It you feel the need to get attention by continuing to make yourself look like a fool for not knowing what you are talking about, by all means :hihi:

Oh, you did decide to continue :hihi:

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Ratings
How does one do away with someone they don't like or their opinion? Ignore it 101. How does one keep them coming back? Attack their point of view and call them ignorant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom