Soccer is growing on me, but (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I want to follow a team, but can’t figure out which one, which league, etc

I have no ties to any English Premier League cities or any MLS teams.

I can’t get into to it without pulling/following a team. Looking for one with a good forum like SSF. I’m confused.

bleedblk&gld

Choppin broccoli
Reaction score
Back to the original posters question.

Find a league that you enjoy watching. Each has its own style and it’s often shown through the top 4 teams.

I became an Arsenal fan because I love the way Wenger, their former coach, displayed quick transitions and clean 1-2 passes in the final third. It was beautiful.

People jumped on the Barcelona bandwagon around 2010 with Guardiola’s Tiki-Taka style. The Galaticos, Real Madrid, back in the early 2000 era were ridiculous and displayed that super teams can succeed. AC Milan in the late 80s - early 90s with its aggressive defending . Ajax of the 70s with Total Football.

That’s what’s great about this game. So many styles of play that have evolved over time. Right now we’re sort of I n a weird mix of gegenpressing, Sarri-Ball, tiki-taka and total football.

I could spew off more, but you get the gist. Start watching different leagues and find a team or a style of play that catches your eye.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
By the way, livesoccertv.com is about the best TV listing site for soccer that I have seen. I have it bookmarked on my phone and use it all the time.

https://www.livesoccertv.com/

A couple of noteworthy games during the week this week:
Liverpool are at West Ham this afternoon in EPL play.

But the big one is Wednesday, Real Madrid at Barcelona in Copa del Rey play. It's on BeIN sports, (which is currently off-line at Directv and Comcast, unfortunately, so best option is streaming).

p0pe

d0pe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
By the way, livesoccertv.com is about the best TV listing site for soccer that I have seen. I have it bookmarked on my phone and use it all the time.

https://www.livesoccertv.com/

A couple of noteworthy games during the week this week:
Liverpool are at West Ham this afternoon in EPL play.

But the big one is Wednesday, Real Madrid at Barcelona in Copa del Rey play. It's on BeIN sports, (which is currently off-line at Directv and Comcast, unfortunately, so best option is streaming).
Nice, really handy site. Thanks

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gavin,

just come over to the dark side. Man U is rebuilding. few more years and they will be perennial powerhouse again.

( however im a fan of Steffen (Man City ) and Pulisic ( chelsea- ) so outside their respective teams playing Man U, ill pull for em to succeed - akin to Howard at Everton )

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gavin,

just come over to the dark side. Man U is rebuilding. few more years and they will be perennial powerhouse again.

( however im a fan of Steffen (Man City ) and Pulisic ( chelsea- ) so outside their respective teams playing Man U, ill pull for em to succeed - akin to Howard at Everton )
It was my understanding that true United fans hate the expression "Man U", correct?

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was my understanding that true United fans hate the expression "Man U", correct?
it doesnt bother me and i have always liked how it sounds.

But yes, much older supporters hate the term for where it came from ( Liverpool supporters ) and i tend to use Red Devils or United when speaking to opposition supporters. ( as they know exactly of whom i speak )

akin to grocery bags for Saints fans...to each their own. but the older generation see it as a slight.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
it doesnt bother me and i have always liked how it sounds.

But yes, much older supporters hate the term for where it came from ( Liverpool supporters ) and i tend to use Red Devils or United when speaking to opposition supporters. ( as they know exactly of whom i speak )

akin to grocery bags for Saints fans...to each their own. but the older generation see it as a slight.
So you say Man U instead of United to avoid confusion when speaking to someone who might not know what you're referring to?

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So you say Man U instead of United to avoid confusion when speaking to someone who might not know what you're referring to?
he obviously has been watching/learning something - but yes for most newbies i assume they know Man U is Manchester United.

Using just "united" could have them thinking of any one of the "united" named clubs. the more seasoned fans know "United" only refers to Manchester United.

p0pe

d0pe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since we're making cases for our teams here, @gavinj you should choose Tottenham... watch this stunning goal earlier this season from my favorite player, Son Heung-Min (or Heung-Min Son, Son is his last or family name but in Korean it goes in the front). Chuck will remember this one I'm sure. ;)

Last edited:

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since we're making cases for our teams here, @gavinj you should choose Tottenham... watch this stunning goal earlier this season from my favorite player, Son Heung-Min (or Heung-Min Son, Son is is last or family name but in Korean it goes in the front). Chuck will remember this one I'm sure. ;)

oh man i had you confused with andre gurov - he is the City supporter.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since we're making cases for our teams here, @gavinj you should choose Tottenham... watch this stunning goal earlier this season from my favorite player, Son Heung-Min (or Heung-Min Son, Son is is last or family name but in Korean it goes in the front). Chuck will remember this one I'm sure. ;)

WTH was David Luis doing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom