Soccer is growing on me, but (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to follow a team, but can’t figure out which one, which league, etc

I have no ties to any English Premier League cities or any MLS teams.

I can’t get into to it without pulling/following a team. Looking for one with a good forum like SSF. I’m confused.

I can’t get into to it without pulling/following a team. Looking for one with a good forum like SSF. I’m confused.

If you’re looking to follow a club and watch big matches - as a sports fan, there’s a pretty small handful to choose from. You want a side that regularly makes the Champions League (that’s hands down the biggest accomplishment in any given club season) and you want a side that you can regularly watch in league play on your television. The English top flight league is the most accessible in the US but these days you can watch the most of the big clubs’ games in the Spanish, French, and German leagues too . . . especially if you have the BeIn network.

Unless you want some lesser club for some personal or emotional reason, you’re looking at choosing from about five or six clubs in England (Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal), three in Spain (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid), a couple in Germany (Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund), a couple in Italy (Juventus or maybe Roma), one in France (Paris Saint Germain).

Yes there are others of course. But if your intention is to have a club that you enjoy following, competing for league titles and a chance to be champion of Europe, teams that regularly sign the world’s best players, those are the best choices.

Personally, I think the English league is best one to choose from, the play is outstanding, the big players are rock stars, and it is very accessible in the US - more than the others.

Just start watching EPL on NBCSN and reading about the clubs (BBC sport, and the UK tabloids) and see if one appeals to you. Liverpool is always a good choice - the club just has an energy about it that many Americans really get into.

Well if you want to go with English Premiere League you could always follow the New Orleans Saints of the EPL - Southampton FC

But be forewarned, as superchuck says, there's basically zero chance of them having a shot a league championship. In European soccer leagues there is no draft or salary cap and I think no revenue sharing, so the leagues are heavily stacked towards the big market clubs.

And yes, I know about Leicester city. One team in like 30 years. Big whoop.

You could follow América, nicknamed the Eagles; at least you can cheer for the name alone :hihi:
My team in the Mexican league since I learned to say "América", and current Liga MX champions, poised for a second run.

168px-Club_Am%C3%A9rica_crest.svg.png

Oh, and our manager: :hihi:

piojo.gif

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be a thread about new uses for Listerine.

I definitely go for Bayern Munich (sister was stationed there) and FC Dallas (closest team at the time I became a fan). Huge USMNT fan. Otherwise it usually is whomever the most US players are with. Good way to go.

if soccer is growing on you, you probably should have it checked out by a physician.

If you’re looking to follow a club and watch big matches - as a sports fan, there’s a pretty small handful to choose from. You want a side that regularly makes the Champions League (that’s hands down the biggest accomplishment in any given club season) and you want a side that you can regularly watch in league play on your television. The English top flight league is the most accessible in the US but these days you can watch the most of the big clubs’ games in the Spanish, French, and German leagues too . . . especially if you have the BeIn network.

Unless you want some lesser club for some personal or emotional reason, you’re looking at choosing from about five or six clubs in England (Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal), three in Spain (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid), a couple in Germany (Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund), a couple in Italy (Juventus or maybe Roma), one in France (Paris Saint Germain).

Yes there are others of course. But if your intention is to have a club that you enjoy following, competing for league titles and a chance to be champion of Europe, teams that regularly sign the world’s best players, those are the best choices.

Personally, I think the English league is best one to choose from, the play is outstanding, the big players are rock stars, and it is very accessible in the US - more than the others.

Just start watching EPL on NBCSN and reading about the clubs (BBC sport, and the UK tabloids) and see if one appeals to you. Liverpool is always a good choice - the club just has an energy about it that many Americans really get into.
wtf does all of that gibberish mean?

I was in the same boat recently and now I'm hooked.

Start recording/watching English Premier League on a regular basis. Out of all the major leagues it's the easiest to get into I'd say and is really competitive. I'd watch some top teams (Tottenham Hotspur , Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, etc. - I'd avoid Arsenal however- pure scum ;)) play for a few months whenever you get a chance. Start learning some player names, coaches, etc, read up on the clubs more and eventually you'll settle on one or a couple to narrow it down. Eventually one will grow on you (or as they say the club chooses you).

My brother-in-law is a huge Tottenham fan so my choice was a little easier in terms of picking a club. It certainly helps that they have some really top notch, likeable players who are outstanding character-wise like Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min (this guy has been unreal this season, never stops smiling, always gives 100% and plays his heart out...). They also have an amazing coach, brand new stadium, don't spend tons of money with a revolving door of new signings all the time like many other clubs, yet are currenty #2 in the EPL and have been consistently in the hunt for years now. They haven't won a title since the 50s/60s I believe, so they're sort of an underdog as well.

Obviously you'll want to watch the US Men's national team (USMNT) and keep up with that as well. New coach seems great and the team is fun to watch. Can't give any MLS advice however.

Last edited:
If you like heart ache, follow The Arsenal.

I fell in love with Wengerball around 2005. Been a Gooner since.

Follow the Bundesliga. Lots of young talented Americans. I’ve enjoyed Dortmund since Klopp popularized gegenpressing (counter pressing).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom