Soccer is growing on me, but (3 Viewers)

Yep... Ignorant... here is Soccer players take on the similarities in tactics.
https://www.quora.com/What-strategies-tactics-are-common-to-both-ice-hockey-and-football-soccer

You're right, there are striking similarities between the two games. Playing soccer can help your hockey playing, and vice versa. Hockey players realize this, and often juggle a soccer ball before games because it helps with coordination of their feet.

1) For one, receiving a puck to your skates is extremely similar to receiving a soccer ball. The angle of the skate needs to be just right so as to deflect it towards your stick. Taking a touch in soccer and deflecting a puck with your skates are very similar because in both instances you must know where you want to go. Soccer players want to get the ball out of their feet and into space, and hockey players want to get it out of their feet and towards their stick.

2) The basic attacking and defending structures are also similar in both games. For instance, the most common pattern in hockey is to have two defencemen, two wings, and a centerman. Well isn't that extremely similar to the 4-4-2 formation in soccer, except miniaturized? Soccer formations utilize 4 defence, usually 2 wingers and 2 midfield players (plus strikers which are unique to soccer).

3) The responsibilities of midfield players in soccer are similar to the centerman in hockey because they track up and down the field, participating in both offence and defence.

4) Wingers in soccer are also similar to hockey wingers because they are meant to penetrate into the corners and then get the ball towards the net. In hockey you do the same thing, except you're able to go behind the net, something you can't do in soccer.

5) When a teammate don't have anyone to pass to, it is essential that the person on the ball/puck has at least two people to pass to. As Tom Stagliano noted, this is what creates triangles, something extremely beneficial for keeping possession. Both sports utilize this. In soccer this is quite a lot easier because you have more teammates, but the concept is the same.

6) Next time you watch hockey, notice how players sometimes come towards the puck if their teammate has possession. If their team is in the offensive end attacking, and a teammate is at the point with the puck, they will do something we call "showing" in soccer. Essentially, this means coming towards the puck/ball, giving your teammate someone to pass to.

7) Possession is an important tactic in both sports. In hockey, if your team can't keep the puck for ten seconds or more, you probably won't be able to get into the offensive end and score a goal. This is even more evident on power-plays where you want to keep possession of the puck until a shot opens up. The same concept applies for soccer; possession is kept until a scoring opportunity opens up.

8) It is essential that you get the puck/ball to the net. You're never going to score from the corner, something players in both sports know. That's why in hockey players will cycle the puck back to the point for a big shot, or throw the puck in front of the net to score a scramble goal. Soccer players do the exact same thing. We'll cycle it back to the attacking midfield player so that he can take a long-range effort from outside the 18 yard box, or we'll throw it into the 18 yard box via a cross to get a scramble/header goal.

9) Deception is a massive part of both sports. Hockey players will use similar shoulder-drops and fakes to those used in soccer. The effect is exactly the same: throwing off the defending player, making him think you are doing something you aren't. When I play hockey, I find that hockey defenders fall for the exact same basic moves I use in soccer (although I can't use my stopovers, sadly).

10) Choice of players before the game is also important. Coaches have to choose their lineup that has the best chemistry, and that has an often unnoticed effect on game. For example, the manner in which a hockey coach puts together his 4 lines changes everything. You don't want to put 1st line players with 4th liners, otherwise things don't really gel together. Soccer is similar in that you want players in your lineup who work well together and have chemistry. People often underestimate the effect of player choice by coaches on the outcome of the game.

There you have it, all the similarities between the two games that I can think of. Because I'm Canadian, and hockey is such a large part of our culture here, I've watched my fair share of the sport. Even though I'm a soccer player and not really a hockey player, the time I've spent watching hockey games wasn't lost time because what I learned from it can be applied on the soccer field.

You see, though if someone is going to continue to attack my "knowledge of the game" and call me ignorant. I'm going to speak up, I don't care how emotional he gets.

It you feel the need to get attention by continuing to make yourself look like a fool for not knowing what you are talking about, by all means :hihi:

Yep... Ignorant... here is Soccer players take on the similarities in tactics.
https://www.quora.com/What-strategies-tactics-are-common-to-both-ice-hockey-and-football-soccer

Oh, you did decide to continue :hihi:

How does one do away with someone they don't like or their opinion? Ignore it 101. How does one keep them coming back? Attack their point of view and call them ignorant.

Back to the original posters question.

Find a league that you enjoy watching. Each has its own style and it’s often shown through the top 4 teams.

I became an Arsenal fan because I love the way Wenger, their former coach, displayed quick transitions and clean 1-2 passes in the final third. It was beautiful.

People jumped on the Barcelona bandwagon around 2010 with Guardiola’s Tiki-Taka style. The Galaticos, Real Madrid, back in the early 2000 era were ridiculous and displayed that super teams can succeed. AC Milan in the late 80s - early 90s with its aggressive defending . Ajax of the 70s with Total Football.

That’s what’s great about this game. So many styles of play that have evolved over time. Right now we’re sort of I n a weird mix of gegenpressing, Sarri-Ball, tiki-taka and total football.

I could spew off more, but you get the gist. Start watching different leagues and find a team or a style of play that catches your eye.

By the way, livesoccertv.com is about the best TV listing site for soccer that I have seen. I have it bookmarked on my phone and use it all the time.

https://www.livesoccertv.com/

A couple of noteworthy games during the week this week:
Liverpool are at West Ham this afternoon in EPL play.

But the big one is Wednesday, Real Madrid at Barcelona in Copa del Rey play. It's on BeIN sports, (which is currently off-line at Directv and Comcast, unfortunately, so best option is streaming).

By the way, livesoccertv.com is about the best TV listing site for soccer that I have seen. I have it bookmarked on my phone and use it all the time.

https://www.livesoccertv.com/

A couple of noteworthy games during the week this week:
Liverpool are at West Ham this afternoon in EPL play.

But the big one is Wednesday, Real Madrid at Barcelona in Copa del Rey play. It's on BeIN sports, (which is currently off-line at Directv and Comcast, unfortunately, so best option is streaming).

Nice, really handy site. Thanks

Gavin,

just come over to the dark side. Man U is rebuilding. few more years and they will be perennial powerhouse again.

( however im a fan of Steffen (Man City ) and Pulisic ( chelsea- ) so outside their respective teams playing Man U, ill pull for em to succeed - akin to Howard at Everton )

Gavin,

just come over to the dark side. Man U is rebuilding. few more years and they will be perennial powerhouse again.

( however im a fan of Steffen (Man City ) and Pulisic ( chelsea- ) so outside their respective teams playing Man U, ill pull for em to succeed - akin to Howard at Everton )

It was my understanding that true United fans hate the expression "Man U", correct?

It was my understanding that true United fans hate the expression "Man U", correct?

it doesnt bother me and i have always liked how it sounds.

But yes, much older supporters hate the term for where it came from ( Liverpool supporters ) and i tend to use Red Devils or United when speaking to opposition supporters. ( as they know exactly of whom i speak )

akin to grocery bags for Saints fans...to each their own. but the older generation see it as a slight.

it doesnt bother me and i have always liked how it sounds.

But yes, much older supporters hate the term for where it came from ( Liverpool supporters ) and i tend to use Red Devils or United when speaking to opposition supporters. ( as they know exactly of whom i speak )

akin to grocery bags for Saints fans...to each their own. but the older generation see it as a slight.

So you say Man U instead of United to avoid confusion when speaking to someone who might not know what you're referring to?

So you say Man U instead of United to avoid confusion when speaking to someone who might not know what you're referring to?

he obviously has been watching/learning something - but yes for most newbies i assume they know Man U is Manchester United.

Using just "united" could have them thinking of any one of the "united" named clubs. the more seasoned fans know "United" only refers to Manchester United.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom