Soldier's instinct saves woman (1 Viewer)

MamaSaint

Rickey Jackson - 2010 HOF (RIP Jan)
Reaction score
A local woman and her toddler were struck by lightning here a couple of days ago. She was extremely fortunate that a Ft Bragg Airborne soldier was a few feet away. He definitely saved her life. I hope that I would be so lucky if such a thing happened to me.

We post so much disgusting or bad news, I thought I would post a *good* story.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/09/27/937925

Van Dorn, who has received extensive Army combat lifesaver training, ran to assist the woman, who had been struck by lightning.

"As I was running up to her, I saw that she was still on fire," Van Dorn said. "I took my shirt off when I approached her and put her out."

And then Van Dorn noticed something else. The arms and legs of a little boy lying underneath his mother.

"My heart just dropped when I realized she had a child," he said.

Van Dorn said the about 18-month-old was burned but otherwise OK, so he passed him along to a bystander, who ran him inside the store.

Van Dorn, who is 26, then started to attend to the child's mother.

He said the woman's heart was beating wildly, and she was not breathing. He performed CPR. On the third chest compression, he said, the woman started breathing.

By that time, he said, two other people began helping him.

"I wasn't really thinking anything," said Van Dorn, of the 3rd Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment. "All I thought about was how I had been trained.

Jan

An update: It has been revealed that the woman struck by lightning is also a soldier at Ft Bragg. She is still in critical condition, but the baby is doing okay. The lightning struck her umbrella & traveled through it into her body & from her to the child. I have always been afraid of lightning & this incident might make me phobic.

Jan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom