Solid FA WR for a decent price. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people saying we should look at getting another WR in the draft or in free agency. But I haven't seen this name pop up yet.

Donario Alexander, WR for the Chargers.

Guy was sitting on the couch when the season started last year. They gave him poo poo money because they were hurting so bad at WR. And they guy came in and killed it from the beginning. If any of you seen some of the chargers games last year, you know what I mean. And he was doing it against the other teams best DB by the end of the season.

How do the chargers show their gratitude? They put an "original round" tender on him. He was undrafted, so this means they even though they get an opportunity to match someones offer to him, if they pass then the signing team gives up nothing.

Anyhow, he has a strong upside at the WR spot, and he could probably be had at a very decent price. Curious about you guy's thoughts.

Anything from the chargers we get in the NFC south is like a gold mine, but we already have like eleventeen WR's.

Ugh c'mon, did we really need another thread? There was one just about yesterday about fa wrs

12 Colston, Marques
86 Fayson, Jarred
17 Givens, Chris
80 Graham, Jimmy
18 Hakim, Saalim
81 Higgins, Michael
16 Moore, Lance
13 Morgan, Joseph
87 Parker, Preston
14 Tanner, Andy
88 Toon, Nick

Unrestricted Free Agent

# NAME
19 Henderson, Devery
15 Roby, Courtney

New Orleans Saints | Roster

Why do people keep insisting that we need more receivers? Because there are so few "names" among the list above? Colston wasn't a "name" until he was recognized for his talent by the same staff that's running the show now.

Personally, if we lose Henderson, I'm not that worried. But what about "stretching the field", some might say. Joe Morgan led the league in yards per catch with an average of 37.9 (with the exception of Donte Stallworth who caught one pass for 63 yards). Isn't yards/catch pretty much the definition of stretching the field? He's proven himself to be a deep threat. That's good enough to make DCs cover him. Mission accomplished.

Losing Roby might be the bigger hit. He's been a special teams ace for us as our gunner. But that player needn't be a receiver. They just need to be fast, and have a willingness to get to the guy with the ball. I think we can all agree that much needs to be done with special teams, anyway.

Drew has shown that he's a master at racking up the points, pretty much with whatever supporting pieces he's given. But last year should have proven that offense alone doesn't win as many games as we need to to hit the post season.The

The answer is clear.

Fix the defense. At least enough so that Drew doesn't have to carry the entire franchise on his back.

That's what I said yesterday. It seems that this Alexander might be an exception to that, though. As a proven commodity, and as a FA which we could get at a reasonable price from the chargers (sound familiar?), I personally wouldn't scratch my head if the FO took a flyer on the guy.

Ugh c'mon, did we really need another thread? There was one just about yesterday about fa wrs
Absolutely - Because, people need to stop babbling about "building the next dome patrol" and remember what side our bread is buttered on!

Ad offense, Ad Infinitum. Thats what got us a superbowl ring! Thats what will get us back.

You show me a list with these names: Colston, Graham, and Moore and I see 3 competent battle tested and proven men. Do we need more LEGITIMATE weapons than three?

You betcha!

In 2009, I counted 8 guys who could catch a bb at midnight - Meachem-Colston- Shockey-Moore-Henderson-Evans-Bush-Thomas (Dave and Pierre). We made DCs go bald!

Building the Defense is a gambit. Considering who is still available on the FA market, even lower are the odds of the Saints defense being more than above average in the midst of transition to a 3-4.

But the odds are always on brees – Give the man weapons and he will still carve up so-called "elite" secondaries" (christsake did you see him connect with Larry Fiz in the Pro-bowl - that was beautiful!) - Make no mistake offensive dominance is the whole reason we have kicked butt so often.

The addition of an already established and confident vet to our WR corps would also throw a wrench into the works of divisional opponents DCs who have been planning for us a certain way for the last 3-4 years.

So people dane to say well just let one of the best quarterbacks of all time throw his laser-beam passes in the hands (literally) of these wannabes while there are proven warriors like Steve Breaston and Darius Heyward Bay and Early Doucet - moving around on the FA market?

Fayson, Jarred
Givens, Chris
Hakim, Saalim
Higgins, Michael
Morgan, Joseph
Parker, Preston
Tanner, Andy
Toon, Nick

Excuse me but who are these guys?

And to the OP
- I like Alexader idea ok, but I see several better names out there. AND trust me you'll get a lot of thumbs down for this post. Any post that suggest that the saints offense needs improvement (beyond the replacement of Bushrod) is the sure way to get a pie on the face.

^^^^ I like and agree with your thoughts about this being an offensive driven team but could you remind me what happened in the playoffs in 2010 and 2011?

LB, OL, DL, TE, and S are all more important needs ahead of WR. That tells me we won't be signing any FA WR. Hopefully this makes the WR junkies understand.

Absolutely - Because, people need to stop babbling about "building the next dome patrol" and remember what side our bread is buttered on!

Ad offense, Ad Infinitum. Thats what got us a superbowl ring! Thats what will get us back.

You show me a list with these names: Colston, Graham, and Moore and I see 3 competent battle tested and proven men. Do we need more LEGITIMATE weapons than three?

You betcha!

In 2009, I counted 8 guys who could catch a bb at midnight - Meachem-Colston- Shockey-Moore-Henderson-Evans-Bush-Thomas (Dave and Pierre). We made DCs go bald!

Building the Defense is a gambit. Considering who is still available on the FA market, even lower are the odds of the Saints defense being more than above average in the midst of transition to a 3-4.

But the odds are always on brees – Give the man weapons and he will still carve up so-called "elite" secondaries" (christsake did you see him connect with Larry Fiz in the Pro-bowl - that was beautiful!) - Make no mistake offensive dominance is the whole reason we have kicked butt so often.

The addition of an already established and confident vet to our WR corps would also throw a wrench into the works of divisional opponents DCs who have been planning for us a certain way for the last 3-4 years.

So people dane to say well just let one of the best quarterbacks of all time throw his laser-beam passes in the hands (literally) of these wannabes while there are proven warriors like Steve Breaston and Darius Heyward Bay and Early Doucet - moving around on the FA market?

Fayson, Jarred
Givens, Chris
Hakim, Saalim
Higgins, Michael
Morgan, Joseph
Parker, Preston
Tanner, Andy
Toon, Nick

Excuse me but who are these guys?

And to the OP
- I like Alexader idea ok, but I see several better names out there. AND trust me you'll get a lot of thumbs down for this post. Any post that suggest that the saints offense needs improvement (beyond the replacement of Bushrod) is the sure way to get a pie on the face.

Yeah, if your happy being regular season champs like the Packers, Patriots, and Falcons! Defense wins championships! When we won the Superbowl our defense was making plays week in and week out. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Defense wins championships! When we won the Superbowl our defense was making plays week in and week out. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Oh yeah that was a phenomenal defense. :rolleyes:What did they finish against the pass and rush that year? Top ten?

Get real - we would run up the score so high in 09 we didnt need but an average defense - granted, they did rise to the occasion and I respect them for that.

I suppose you also believed all that "bend but not break" garbage Gregg Willams would feed the fans?

Didn't yall learn nothin from the Dome Patrol years???
Vince Lombardi is dead - a dynamic offense wins games

like the Packers, Patriots, and Falcons!
Patriots =won 3 superbowls with average defense
Packers = won one superbowl with average defense

That's not bad company to be in is it? and...Please dont throw the fowlclowns in with these two real football teams...as they have yet to prove they can convincingly knock out a WC.

Yeah, if your happy being regular season champs like the Packers, Patriots, and Falcons! Defense wins championships! When we won the Superbowl our defense was making plays week in and week out. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Yeah, those offensive driven teams like the Packers, Saints, and Pats will never reach or win any Super Bowls!

LB, OL, DL, TE, and S are all more important needs ahead of WR. That tells me we won't be signing any FA WR. Hopefully this makes the WR junkies understand.

Quantity ≠ quality. Just because you have depth at a certain position (and we have a few WR's in the pipeline) does not make it less of a need. We still have plenty of room for one more guy to give DC's nightmares, and I have a strong feeling if we don't sign one we'll be drafting one - in the first. Colston, Moore, and Sproles are not quite long in the tooth but they're not getting any younger either.

Hopefully the anti-WR junkies can understand that too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom