Movie Solo: A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sticky Post
...and we have a trailer...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I7m-7EEI5vo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dNW0B0HsvVs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
that's a shame. this was a good movie.
like Rouge One, one could watch the Solo movie without seeing any Star Wars movie and follow the story with no problem.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
that's a shame. this was a good movie.
like Rouge One, one could watch the Solo movie without seeing any Star Wars movie and follow the story with no problem.
I've enjoyed all of them, this one had a few built in problems I think.

1. A lot of old Star Wars fans were angered by the last one (rightly or wrongly) and said they'd boycott the next. Looks like many did and they usually see a SW film numerous times in the theater.

2. It was released too close to the last. They're trying to pump these movies out too fast.

3. IMO they should have waited longer from when they killed off Han. The next stand alone movie should have been the Obi Wan story, then maybe after another year do young Solo.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
never watched it. also only saw the 1st iron man, only Thor Ragnoroc. only the first avengers, didn't see civil war, thought spiderman homecoming was not so good, there is no way Spiderman Homecoming was better than Solo.
but like I said, never have been big super hero fan, other than the original 2 Superman movies.
Man I wish you would have stopped before bringing marvel into it
Your not so great take on marvel movies doesn’t help your Solo critique in any way

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1. A lot of old Star Wars fans were angered by the last one (rightly or wrongly) and said they'd boycott the next. Looks like many did and they usually see a SW film numerous times in the theater.

2. It was released too close to the last. They're trying to pump these movies out too fast.

3. IMO they should have waited longer from when they killed off Han. The next stand alone movie should have been the Obi Wan story, then maybe after another year do young Solo.
I tend to agree. I didn't like this coming so soon after the last one. I don't go to movies often, and so it's got to be a real event. Also, Infinity Wars just happened. I was way more interested in that and ultimately, I chose that as the go to movie of this season. I only go to theaters once or twice a year. Two in the last few months squeezed Solo out. I'll definitely watch when the DVD comes out though. The timing of the release and the lead up to the movie wasn't well executed IMO.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

Yeah, I think the franchise has always benefited from being an "event". If you are going to start releasing these movies just a few months apart, then you will almost certainly lose that bump (especially if the movie is just "fine").

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the franchise has always benefited from being an "event". If you are going to start releasing these movies just a few months apart, then you will almost certainly lose that bump (especially if the movie is just "fine").
Marvel puts out 3 movies a year and doesn't have this problem.
Harry Potter kicked out a move every year for 8 years, wasn't a problem.

Whey people have created the idea that fewer movies is better for star wars is a mystery to me.

Would Marvel movies be better if we had to wait 3 years for Infinity War 2?
How a bout waiting 10 years for Fantastic Beasts 2?
In 10 years we got 3 star trek movies, did that make them better?
Do we really want to sit with the bad taste of the Last Jedi in our mouths for 3 years before we get an enjoyable star wars movie again?

Yeh, sure. why not, years of nothing is always better then an attempt at something every year.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
but it could also be simple growing pains
it used to be an "event" b/c everything filtered through Lucas- there weren't more events b/c he could not/would not do more
and it's a weird comparison b/c no matter what people feel about Rogue one of TLJ or Solo they are nowhere close to the dumpster fire the prequels were
now we have a production company who can pump out a show a year (and, soon, series) - is that a bad thing? some will say yes, some no
we shouldn't use "Solo" alone to analyze production calendar
agreed it was bad planning to release it when they did (but no one could have guessed the huge success black panther would be and how that would carry over the Infinity Wars (if BP would have had a lukewarm showing, scheduling infinity wars right after would have seemed like a VERY bad idea)

fanboi boycott and ron howard having to take over production all contribute to the difficulty

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
it used to be an "event" b/c everything filtered through Lucas- there weren't more events b/c he could not/would not do more
and it's a weird comparison b/c no matter what people feel about Rogue one of TLJ or Solo they are nowhere close to the dumpster fire the prequels were
now we have a production company who can pump out a show a year (and, soon, series) - is that a bad thing? some will say yes, some no
agreed it was bad planning to release it when they did (but no one could have guessed the huge success black panther would be and how that would carry over the Infinity Wars (if BP would have had a lukewarm showing, scheduling infinity wars right after would have seemed like a VERY bad idea)

fanboi boycott and ron howard having to take over production all contribute to the difficulty
It was a pretty good guess that Solo would suffer from releasing it so close to IW and DP2. With all the production problems, triggered fanboys, and leaks that there would be new stuff to be triggered over, it looked like a fail was brewing.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Marvel puts out 3 movies a year and doesn't have this problem.
Harry Potter kicked out a move every year for 8 years, wasn't a problem.

Whey people have created the idea that fewer movies is better for star wars is a mystery to me.

Would Marvel movies be better if we had to wait 3 years for Infinity War 2?
How a bout waiting 10 years for Fantastic Beasts 2?
In 10 years we got 3 star trek movies, did that make them better?
Do we really want to sit with the bad taste of the Last Jedi in our mouths for 3 years before we get an enjoyable star wars movie again?

Yeh, sure. why not, years of nothing is always better then an attempt at something every year.
I think it's completely different.

Marvel has had this system/schedule in place for a long time, while Star Wars has not. Even "Solo" wasn't supposed to come out when it did.

Also, while Marvel may release 2-3 movies per year, they don't place the same expectations on each one. For example, "Infinity War" is followed by "Ant-Man & The Wasp". Ant-Man 2 probably won't make as much as Solo, but will still be a success for Marvel.

It's not simply about how many movies come out each year for these franchises, it's about the plan, support, and expectations for each.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

My point wasn't that you can't release multiple Star Wars movies per year. My point was that you can't release a "big one" (episode 8), followed shortly by a "small one" (Solo), and expect the usual financial bump that Star Wars gets. That's not to say that every movie will be a Solo-like loss, just that they shouldn't expect automatic huge returns if they are going to keep to this schedule.

But again, I'm not saying that multiple movies per year can't be successful; they just won't have the guarantee they've had in the past.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I finally saw this last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a fun summer flick, I thought the acting was good. The story was fine, I felt a little unevenness, but that might be because I knew about the production troubles going into this.

I have another reason why the box office was so poor, b/c it explains why I wasn't in a rush to see it (I only saw it because my dad was in town this weekend for Father's Day and we have a tradition of watching Star Wars movies together, if he didn't come up spur of the moment I would have waited until it came to Netflix). First, it's about a character who we already know their complete character arc... we know that Han is going to make it out of the scrape (whatever it is), and Chewie is going to survive, any love interest is going to be short term b/c we know he's going to end up with Leia in the not too distant future. It's fun to see a beloved character get his start, but there's not a lot of suspense, and I didn't feel like I needed to see this before spoilers emerge. I still wanted to see it, but wasn't in a rush.

Second, it's about an iconic character who is portrayed so definitively by a famous actor. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a great job, but he's not Harrison Ford and we all really know what Han should sound like, what his mannerism should be, etc... and it's hard to get excited for seeing a character that we know is going to look and sound just a bit different. I'd argue that it would be easier for audiences to buy a different actor to portray a young Luke Skywalker than it would be to get someone to do Han.

It's a shame, b/c I liked the movie and I'd like to see what happens to Kira and how Darth Maul goes from running Crimson Dawn to being cast aside again by the time we get to Star Wars Rebels.

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
guess i'll check the firestick tonight and see if solo is on there. been wanting to see it. might have to watch it tonight or go see it over the weekend at the theater if not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom