Movie Solo: A Star Wars Story (2 Viewers)

I'm not sure the character of Han Solo is really enough to excite the casual audience - this is the first Star Wars movie, I believe, that totally omits the Jedi/lightsaber type stuff and I think those people intuit that from the marketing. That's not going to get the parents wanting to take the kids to the movies. I do think it's more of a word-of-mouth movie, with all the fud that's been thrown at it going back months I think many people assumed it was going to be awful and reviews are now skewing a little more positive.

While I think this movie won't pull typical Star Wars numbers, I am sure their numbers will improve due to word of mouth of actual movie goers.

I will add moving this movie to May was a horrible decision from a box office stanpoint. you look at Dec right now and the blockbusters are Aquaman and Marry Poppins Returns. I think the box office results are less then the idea that people have issues with the movie, and more the issue with people spending money on Avengers and Deadpool and the fact that on Memorial day weekend people are traveling to see family and doing stuff outside. Unlike Winter when going to the movies is the cool thing to do with some off for the holidays.

If this movie came out on Dec 15th, its opening weekend would have been bigger just from a logistics standpoint, but i too think as the word of mouth spreads, the movie has legs. If doesn't, i don't think its a big deal either as since they had to shoot this movie twice, I don't think Disney is expecting record profits. They will probably be happy if it can just break even.

I'm not sure the character of Han Solo is really enough to excite the casual audience - this is the first Star Wars movie, I believe, that totally omits the Jedi/lightsaber type stuff and I think those people intuit that from the marketing. That's not going to get the parents wanting to take the kids to the movies. I do think it's more of a word-of-mouth movie, with all the fud that's been thrown at it going back months I think many people assumed it was going to be awful and reviews are now skewing a little more positive.

i find it actually refreshing that there is no Jedi stuff in this movie, had there been it would have seemed very forced and contrived. Not everything in this galaxy revolves around the Jedi, just like not everything on this earth revolves around Buddhist monks.

I came in with limited expectations and was thoroughly entertained and impressed with this film. With it leaving off right as Han/Chewy appear headed to Tatoine it really leaves it at a perfect spot for a follow up movie that could incorporate the Hutts, maybe Boba and even Obi-Wan.

Well, in Ep 4, Obi-wan seems to know Chewy.

More thoughts after it's had a few days to marinate...

Two minor things that bugged me. One, the raider being a young girl. Actually, her being a girl didn't bother me. It's more that her raiders messing up the first job got Becket's woman killed. And he's kinda cool with them? Well, I guess in the end he wasn't, since he betrayed everyone, but it sure seemed like he'd want to kill that girl.

Yeah, I kind of agree here. My only real criticism of the movie...
Attaching the pirates to the rebels I thought was probably the weakest part of the movie; I kind of liked the idea of a story removed from the larger conflict of the rebellion, and that dumped it right back in the middle of it. Also, the character arc of Han in the first Star Wars is that he goes from being only out for himself to being willing to put the interests of others in front of his own. If Han was always sympathetic to the Rebels it diminishes that a little, and feels like Disney white-washing the character ("he was never really a rogue after all, he was always a white-knight"). I think it would have been fine if the pirates had just been pirates, and might have even helped tighten up the ending a little. Also, making the Rebels a children's crusade made me think of broom boy, and felt like a reminder that this is all about Disney pushing product for kids.

With it leaving off right as Han/Chewy appear headed to Tatoine it really leaves it at a perfect spot for a follow up movie that could incorporate the Hutts, maybe Boba and even Obi-Wan.

It came out recently that they signed Ehrenreich to a three picture deal, and that might not necessarily mean a trilogy (he could have a small role in one of the other one-offs), but I don't think the big reveal of the true head of Crimson Dawn makes sense unless they have plans for more Han prequels. Assuming they follow through it would makes sense that we're going to see him working with the Hutts; I think it would be pretty cool to have the last one conclude with him having dropped his pay load to avoid the imperials (and with
Han having Rebel sympathies, it may turn out that he didn't necessarily "drop his payload" as much as "donate" it to the Rebel cause
), and then going into a familiar cantina with Chewie to go have a drink and try to figure out "how do we get out to this one" with Jabba. Then splice in footage of Luke and Obi-Wan pulling up in the speeder and end scene (call it the Rogue One treatment).

I will add moving this movie to May was a horrible decision from a box office stanpoint. you look at Dec right now and the blockbusters are Aquaman and Marry Poppins Returns. I think the box office results are less then the idea that people have issues with the movie, and more the issue with people spending money on Avengers and Deadpool and the fact that on Memorial day weekend people are traveling to see family and doing stuff outside. Unlike Winter when going to the movies is the cool thing to do with some off for the holidays.

If this movie came out on Dec 15th, its opening weekend would have been bigger just from a logistics standpoint, but i too think as the word of mouth spreads, the movie has legs. If doesn't, i don't think its a big deal either as since they had to shoot this movie twice, I don't think Disney is expecting record profits. They will probably be happy if it can just break even.

I think there's some truth in what you say. I've honestly wondered why they felt compelled to stick to the May release date for Solo, even despite the extensive reshoots, while they were fine to move the release dates for episodes VIII and IX. Makes you wonder who's making these decisions?

All that said, this one had diminished opening weekend expectations and failed to reach them by a pretty big gap ($83 million as opposed to the expected $140-150 million opening, but still the top box office earner of the weekend). It's better that The Last Jedi, so word of mouth should give it some legs, but it will have a really hard time hitting projections and making that back up. Star Wars movies have generally been "event" type films, so was this just a one off disappointment or should Disney have diminished expectations going forward? I'm sure it will all be analyzed and over-analyzed between now and episode IX.

no one buys a franchise for 4 billion to make art house flicks once every 10 years.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has any doubts that Disney is in this to make money, but the better movies they can put out the more money they can make (just ask Marvel). No one's asking for art house flicks, but the bar needs to be higher than "I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a disaster" or people will lose interest.

Saw it. This us the first Start a Wars movie I've actually liked since the first 3. But to be fair, I didn't see the Force Awakens.

More thoughts after it's had a few days to marinate...

Yeah, I kind of agree here. My only real criticism of the movie...
Attaching the pirates to the rebels I thought was probably the weakest part of the movie; I kind of liked the idea of a story removed from the larger conflict of the rebellion, and that dumped it right back in the middle of it. Also, the character arc of Han in the first Star Wars is that he goes from being only out for himself to being willing to put the interests of others in front of his own. If Han was always sympathetic to the Rebels it diminishes that a little, and feels like Disney white-washing the character ("he was never really a rogue after all, he was always a white-knight"). I think it would have been fine if the pirates had just been pirates, and might have even helped tighten up the ending a little. Also, making the Rebels a children's crusade made me think of broom boy, and felt like a reminder that this is all about Disney pushing product for kids.

I agree, and for me was really the only negative thing about the movie, revealing the identity served no purpose, added nothing to the story, and just gave fuel to the crazy internet SJW movement that only women in Star Wars have any leadership capabilities. IMO, they should have left the character's identity unknown, and kept it mysterious with unclear intentions, that would have made for a much more interesting character.

I agree, and for me was really the only negative thing about the movie, revealing the identity served no purpose, added nothing to the story, and just gave fuel to the crazy internet SJW movement that only women in Star Wars have any leadership capabilities. IMO, they should have left the character's identity unknown, and kept it mysterious with unclear intentions, that would have made for a much more interesting character.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom