Movie Solo: A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

ok, I finally went and saw it, been wanting to since it came out, just have had busy weekends.
I just don't understand the hate for this movie. it was very good, but a lot of people are movie snobs these days but there isn't a movie that I've ever seen that didn't have some type of plot hole or, "that part didn't make sense" element to it, ESPECIALLY a prequel.
I'll get flamed to death, but in my opinion, this was better than any Marvel/DC movie I've seen. but I've never been a big fan of super hero movies. seen most but not all.
the movie will probably make over $200million in profit when all is said and done. that my not be the standard these days, but that's a lot of money. I just don't see how people can call that a flop in any regard.
when it comes out on dvd/digital I'm sure to watch it again.
(of course, I've NEVER seen the same movie twice in the theatre.)

I'll get flamed to death, but in my opinion, this was better than any Marvel/DC movie I've seen. but I've never been a big fan of super hero movies. seen most but not all.

I thought Solo was a pretty good movie, but there's no way it's even in the same ballpark as something like The Winter Soldier

I thought Solo was a pretty good movie, but there's no way it's even in the same ballpark as something like The Winter Soldier
never watched it. also only saw the 1st iron man, only Thor Ragnoroc. only the first avengers, didn't see civil war, thought spiderman homecoming was not so good, there is no way Spiderman Homecoming was better than Solo.
but like I said, never have been big super hero fan, other than the original 2 Superman movies.

ok, I finally went and saw it, been wanting to since it came out, just have had busy weekends.
I just don't understand the hate for this movie. it was very good, but a lot of people are movie snobs these days but there isn't a movie that I've ever seen that didn't have some type of plot hole or, "that part didn't make sense" element to it, ESPECIALLY a prequel.
the movie will probably make over $200million in profit when all is said and done. that my not be the standard these days, but that's a lot of money. I just don't see how people can call that a flop in any regard.
when it comes out on dvd/digital I'm sure to watch it again.
(of course, I've NEVER seen the same movie twice in the theatre.)

Everything I'm hearing is that Solo will almost definitely take a loss, possibly a very big loss.

Everything I'm hearing is that Solo will almost definitely take a loss, possibly a very big loss.

Yes, it’s been out for over 3 weeks and is still about $100 mil short of making its money back. I don’t think it’s going to be making a huge profit.

I thought the budget was $275m. it's already at $340m, not sure if that includes this weekend or not. maybe there's extra budget I'm not taking into consideration..not sure how that works I guess..

I thought the budget was $275m. it's already at $340m, not sure if that includes this weekend or not. maybe there's extra budget I'm not taking into consideration..not sure how that works I guess..

Not added into that budget are marketing costs, which is probably another $100-$150 mil. Also, around 1/3 of what a movie makes is kept by the theaters, so that's another huge chunk.

that's a shame. this was a good movie.
like Rouge One, one could watch the Solo movie without seeing any Star Wars movie and follow the story with no problem.

that's a shame. this was a good movie.
like Rouge One, one could watch the Solo movie without seeing any Star Wars movie and follow the story with no problem.

I've enjoyed all of them, this one had a few built in problems I think.

1. A lot of old Star Wars fans were angered by the last one (rightly or wrongly) and said they'd boycott the next. Looks like many did and they usually see a SW film numerous times in the theater.

2. It was released too close to the last. They're trying to pump these movies out too fast.

3. IMO they should have waited longer from when they killed off Han. The next stand alone movie should have been the Obi Wan story, then maybe after another year do young Solo.

never watched it. also only saw the 1st iron man, only Thor Ragnoroc. only the first avengers, didn't see civil war, thought spiderman homecoming was not so good, there is no way Spiderman Homecoming was better than Solo.
but like I said, never have been big super hero fan, other than the original 2 Superman movies.
Man I wish you would have stopped before bringing marvel into it
Your not so great take on marvel movies doesn’t help your Solo critique in any way

1. A lot of old Star Wars fans were angered by the last one (rightly or wrongly) and said they'd boycott the next. Looks like many did and they usually see a SW film numerous times in the theater.

2. It was released too close to the last. They're trying to pump these movies out too fast.

3. IMO they should have waited longer from when they killed off Han. The next stand alone movie should have been the Obi Wan story, then maybe after another year do young Solo.
I tend to agree. I didn't like this coming so soon after the last one. I don't go to movies often, and so it's got to be a real event. Also, Infinity Wars just happened. I was way more interested in that and ultimately, I chose that as the go to movie of this season. I only go to theaters once or twice a year. Two in the last few months squeezed Solo out. I'll definitely watch when the DVD comes out though. The timing of the release and the lead up to the movie wasn't well executed IMO.

Yeah, I think the franchise has always benefited from being an "event". If you are going to start releasing these movies just a few months apart, then you will almost certainly lose that bump (especially if the movie is just "fine").

Yeah, I think the franchise has always benefited from being an "event". If you are going to start releasing these movies just a few months apart, then you will almost certainly lose that bump (especially if the movie is just "fine").

Marvel puts out 3 movies a year and doesn't have this problem.
Harry Potter kicked out a move every year for 8 years, wasn't a problem.

Whey people have created the idea that fewer movies is better for star wars is a mystery to me.

Would Marvel movies be better if we had to wait 3 years for Infinity War 2?
How a bout waiting 10 years for Fantastic Beasts 2?
In 10 years we got 3 star trek movies, did that make them better?
Do we really want to sit with the bad taste of the Last Jedi in our mouths for 3 years before we get an enjoyable star wars movie again?

Yeh, sure. why not, years of nothing is always better then an attempt at something every year.

but it could also be simple growing pains
it used to be an "event" b/c everything filtered through Lucas- there weren't more events b/c he could not/would not do more
and it's a weird comparison b/c no matter what people feel about Rogue one of TLJ or Solo they are nowhere close to the dumpster fire the prequels were
now we have a production company who can pump out a show a year (and, soon, series) - is that a bad thing? some will say yes, some no
we shouldn't use "Solo" alone to analyze production calendar
agreed it was bad planning to release it when they did (but no one could have guessed the huge success black panther would be and how that would carry over the Infinity Wars (if BP would have had a lukewarm showing, scheduling infinity wars right after would have seemed like a VERY bad idea)

fanboi boycott and ron howard having to take over production all contribute to the difficulty

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom