Movie Solo: A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

but it could also be simple growing pains
it used to be an "event" b/c everything filtered through Lucas- there weren't more events b/c he could not/would not do more
and it's a weird comparison b/c no matter what people feel about Rogue one of TLJ or Solo they are nowhere close to the dumpster fire the prequels were
now we have a production company who can pump out a show a year (and, soon, series) - is that a bad thing? some will say yes, some no
we shouldn't use "Solo" alone to analyze production calendar
agreed it was bad planning to release it when they did (but no one could have guessed the huge success black panther would be and how that would carry over the Infinity Wars (if BP would have had a lukewarm showing, scheduling infinity wars right after would have seemed like a VERY bad idea)

fanboi boycott and ron howard having to take over production all contribute to the difficulty

It was a pretty good guess that Solo would suffer from releasing it so close to IW and DP2. With all the production problems, triggered fanboys, and leaks that there would be new stuff to be triggered over, it looked like a fail was brewing.

Marvel puts out 3 movies a year and doesn't have this problem.
Harry Potter kicked out a move every year for 8 years, wasn't a problem.

Whey people have created the idea that fewer movies is better for star wars is a mystery to me.

Would Marvel movies be better if we had to wait 3 years for Infinity War 2?
How a bout waiting 10 years for Fantastic Beasts 2?
In 10 years we got 3 star trek movies, did that make them better?
Do we really want to sit with the bad taste of the Last Jedi in our mouths for 3 years before we get an enjoyable star wars movie again?

Yeh, sure. why not, years of nothing is always better then an attempt at something every year.

I think it's completely different.

Marvel has had this system/schedule in place for a long time, while Star Wars has not. Even "Solo" wasn't supposed to come out when it did.

Also, while Marvel may release 2-3 movies per year, they don't place the same expectations on each one. For example, "Infinity War" is followed by "Ant-Man & The Wasp". Ant-Man 2 probably won't make as much as Solo, but will still be a success for Marvel.

It's not simply about how many movies come out each year for these franchises, it's about the plan, support, and expectations for each.

but it could also be simple growing pains
it used to be an "event" b/c everything filtered through Lucas- there weren't more events b/c he could not/would not do more
and it's a weird comparison b/c no matter what people feel about Rogue one of TLJ or Solo they are nowhere close to the dumpster fire the prequels were
now we have a production company who can pump out a show a year (and, soon, series) - is that a bad thing? some will say yes, some no
we shouldn't use "Solo" alone to analyze production calendar
agreed it was bad planning to release it when they did (but no one could have guessed the huge success black panther would be and how that would carry over the Infinity Wars (if BP would have had a lukewarm showing, scheduling infinity wars right after would have seemed like a VERY bad idea)

fanboi boycott and ron howard having to take over production all contribute to the difficulty

My point wasn't that you can't release multiple Star Wars movies per year. My point was that you can't release a "big one" (episode 8), followed shortly by a "small one" (Solo), and expect the usual financial bump that Star Wars gets. That's not to say that every movie will be a Solo-like loss, just that they shouldn't expect automatic huge returns if they are going to keep to this schedule.

But again, I'm not saying that multiple movies per year can't be successful; they just won't have the guarantee they've had in the past.

I finally saw this last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a fun summer flick, I thought the acting was good. The story was fine, I felt a little unevenness, but that might be because I knew about the production troubles going into this.

I have another reason why the box office was so poor, b/c it explains why I wasn't in a rush to see it (I only saw it because my dad was in town this weekend for Father's Day and we have a tradition of watching Star Wars movies together, if he didn't come up spur of the moment I would have waited until it came to Netflix). First, it's about a character who we already know their complete character arc... we know that Han is going to make it out of the scrape (whatever it is), and Chewie is going to survive, any love interest is going to be short term b/c we know he's going to end up with Leia in the not too distant future. It's fun to see a beloved character get his start, but there's not a lot of suspense, and I didn't feel like I needed to see this before spoilers emerge. I still wanted to see it, but wasn't in a rush.

Second, it's about an iconic character who is portrayed so definitively by a famous actor. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a great job, but he's not Harrison Ford and we all really know what Han should sound like, what his mannerism should be, etc... and it's hard to get excited for seeing a character that we know is going to look and sound just a bit different. I'd argue that it would be easier for audiences to buy a different actor to portray a young Luke Skywalker than it would be to get someone to do Han.

It's a shame, b/c I liked the movie and I'd like to see what happens to Kira and how Darth Maul goes from running Crimson Dawn to being cast aside again by the time we get to Star Wars Rebels.

guess i'll check the firestick tonight and see if solo is on there. been wanting to see it. might have to watch it tonight or go see it over the weekend at the theater if not.

Star Wars Spinoffs Are Reportedly Put on Hold - IGN

Figured this was as appropriate a any other thread to post this.

while still speculation, it seems like they're holding off on those stories from within "Skywalker" but going ahead with the ones that branch out
that makes a bit more sense - i couldn't see them putting the breaks on everything
Though never confirmed or acknowledged by Disney or Lucasfilm, recent reports suggested an Obi-Wan Kenboi spinoff was in development, and was set to be a prequel to A New Hope. A Boba Fett standalone film was also reportedly in the works from Logan director James Mangold, though never confirmed to be an official project.

This news seems as though Lucasfilm is doubling down on its ventures into new galaxies far away instead of focusing on the past. Disney has officially confirmed that The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is working on a new Star Wars trilogy, while Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

While I didn't hate TLJ as much as a lot of people, I am not excited about Rian Johnson getting a shot at a Star Wars trilogy. He wasn't Zach Snyder bad, but given a chance to create his own Star Wars story, he may reach those levels of awfulness.

Star Wars News Net has a bit more specific info about all of this shaking down from their sources (who have a decent track record). Here's the short version as posted by one of their guys on Reddit:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/8sl2c1/more_info_on_disney_scrapping_the_star_wars/

• In light of the director change and having to nearly reshoot the entire movie, Lucasfilm wanted to move Solo: A Star Wars Story to December 2018, but Disney had enough of their previous films’ delays and put their foot down. Our source tells us that Disney granted Lucasfilm the budget and time to make all the production changes they needed to fix anything broken with Solo, but that they had to make the May 25th release date.
  • In addition to this, Disney told Lucasfilm that they would not let Solo interfere with their plans for Avengers: Infinity War, meaning Solo would not get any preferential treatment in marketing to make up for lost time due to its reshoots that lasted into the Fall of 2017. Disney is in new territory, having bought up so many different companies and franchises they are now quite literally competing with themselves to an extent.
  • Lucasfilm is returning focus to one project at a time per-medium. So right now the only projects in development are Episode IX (live action film), Star Wars: Resistance (animated series), and Jon Favreau’s live-action TV series. It sounds like they will continue to develop a solid structuring among those three departments under the Lucasfilm banner, with Dave Filoni still heading the animation department.
  • Disney is done experimenting with new or unusual filmmakers and will go back to proven veteran talent who they know can handle a big budget Star Wars production in an effort to prevent future production chaos, drama, and firings.

Really, I am fine with this. It doesn't materially change anything, as not a single one of those standalones was officially announced.Any talk of directors or writers being attached was all inside baseball hollywood stuff. Nothing was ever said officially from Lucasfilm or Disney.

I mean, I liked Solo but it was ultimately unnecessary. I would rather them give thought to what they're developing instead of handing out standalones to every fan favorite character. I don't need a Boba Fett movie. I said before I'd like them to slow down, and it seems like that's what they're doing. It's an advisable move. They need to be very thoughtful about how they progress moving forward, and the fact that Episode IX starts production soon (next month?), this will be the first time since TFA that the next movie after the one in production isn't already ramping up. Take a breather and figure it out. I'm totally good with that.

If the SWNN report is accurate, I'm also for the only given proven directors gigs policy. Between Josh Trank drinking and drugging his way out of the initial Boba Fett gig, Lord and Miller getting fired, and Gareth Edwards having to have Tony Gilroy clean up and finish Rogue One, strictly from a ease of production standpoint their track record with young guns has been trash so far.

My point wasn't that you can't release multiple Star Wars movies per year. My point was that you can't release a "big one" (episode 8), followed shortly by a "small one" (Solo), and expect the usual financial bump that Star Wars gets. That's not to say that every movie will be a Solo-like loss, just that they shouldn't expect automatic huge returns if they are going to keep to this schedule.

But again, I'm not saying that multiple movies per year can't be successful; they just won't have the guarantee they've had in the past.
i can agree with your point, i guess i'm in the old school camp that the success of the movie isn't always based on its opening weekend box office, or how fast it crosses a half billion mark.

This is terrible. IMO the whole social media campaign completely backfired.
- They didn't like the last jedi, now the focus is 3 more Ria Johnson movies, brilliant.
- The stand alone movies gave us a chance to see stories that we wouldn't see in a trilogy arch, not we won't see them at all, brilliant.
- We were getting a minor SW movie in the years between the big movies, now we go back to 2 or 3 years between movies, brilliant.

but hey, we get a crappy animated series with all the Star Wars princess! My life is so much better with fewer star wars movie in it. All i need now is a bar of soap and a VHS copy of Empire Strikes Back! If you like this video, please subscribe and leave your comments below....

i can agree with your point, i guess i'm in the old school camp that the success of the movie isn't always based on its opening weekend box office, or how fast it crosses a half billion mark.

I wasn’t trying to do that at all. I personally thought the movie was fun/fine, and the box office numbers I cited were for 3.5 weeks after its release.

The problem is that the vast majority of Star Wars "fanboys" weren't even alive when any of the original 3 were made. If that's the case, shut the heck up about your glorious old school Star Wars movies. The 20-something Twitter warriors don't represent me, who was actually alive and remembers seeing the original movies in the theaters. And I mean the original movies, not the Lucas "hey if I would have had this technology 30 years ago I would have made them like this" versions.

It just irritates me similarly to bandwagon Cowboys fans who root for the team because they won Super Bowls, but weren't actually alive to see them win any of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom