Movie Solo: A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

"...Resulting in a mixed bag that wasn't exactly great, but wasn't exactly terrible..."

"NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!!!"

At least it was better than The Last Jedi. Honestly, I didn't mind it at all. I thought it was kind of fun and entertaining.

Last edited:
I thought it was okay

Not great, not terrible

It was just unnecessary and forgettable save one thing:

Donald Glover was great as Lando and I really hope he gets his own stand alone

I thought it was okay

Not great, not terrible

It was just unnecessary and forgettable save one thing:

Donald Glover was great as Lando and I really hope he gets his own stand alone
I thought Alden Ehrenreich was pretty good as Han as well.

I don't know why they felt the need to have the Empire give him his last name.

Finally watched on Netflix. Other than L3, I liked it. Definitely felt like more of a SW movie than TLJ. I think both Solo and Rogue One are good examples of walking the line between fan-service and doing something a little different.

I just watched it as well. I thought it was a fun flick as far as typical sci-fi action films go, but I found myself wanting more as a Star Wars movie. I found the lighting too dark, to the point of irritating me. I got the sense that the color settings were not right, even though everything else looks good.

Not too bad though. I'd give it a solid B. I think Avengers has spoiled me.

Rogue One is a bit better imo.

I just watched it as well. I thought it was a fun flick as far as typical sci-fi action films go, but I found myself wanting more as a Star Wars movie. I found the lighting too dark, to the point of irritating me. I got the sense that the color settings were not right, even though everything else looks good.

Not too bad though. I'd give it a solid B. I think Avengers has spoiled me.

Rogue One is a bit better imo.

I wouldn't argue much of this. I didn't really notice the lighting issue, so it didn't distract me. I didn't need an origin story for everything. Yes, rescuing Chewy and winning the Falcon should have been in it, but not the blaster, dice and last name.

I absolutely agree that Rogue One was a bit better.

The Solo name bit was straight cheesy and a really underwhelming way to introduce the movie's namesake. How Solo and his girl gets separated was a bit much also.

The action sequences on the freighter train heist was really good, and I love watching the Falcon fly through space.

Yeah, I just don’t think we needed so many reminders that this was Han Solo (nudge, nudge, remember?).

The name, the dice, the blaster and other articles of clothing were just too much, and mostly silly.

I also thought the way he met Chewy was pretty underwhelming too. Had Chewy really never thought to push on that pillar? I’m not sure Han’s strength really helped during the escape and it was kind of hard to buy that he’d be so loyal to Han based on that.

I liked it ok overall, but the constant references did bother me. I also wish we would have been able to see the Lord and Miller version of the movie. They have been so successful with everything they’ve had a hand in. It’s too bad they got kicked off of Solo.

Last edited:
My son and I both caught it on Netflix this weekend and I don't know where all of the negativity is coming from. I thought it was great. It is much better than the new storyline releases. Rogue One and Solo hit the mark IMO.

It's a fun movie. I enjoyed it way more than The Last Jedi, which I have gone from middling on at the time of release to just flat out not liking at all after many subsequent viewings.

I did prefer the old EU/Legends explanation of how he and Chewie met. It's not THAT different (Han saves him from abuse at the hands of an Imperial officer, destroys his career in the process and goes on the run) but it felt more like a genuine act of empathy/ on the part of Han whereas the now canon version feels more like happenstance and self preservation despite the somewhat similar circumstances. And we never explicitly see a life debt pledges which bugs me a little.

Also, I am over tentacle monsters. Really. Lets try something new.

It's a fun movie. I enjoyed it way more than The Last Jedi, which I have gone from middling on at the time of release to just flat out not liking at all after many subsequent viewings.

I did prefer the old EU/Legends explanation of how he and Chewie met. It's not THAT different (Han saves him from abuse at the hands of an Imperial officer, destroys his career in the process and goes on the run) but it felt more like a genuine act of empathy/ on the part of Han whereas the now canon version feels more like happenstance and self preservation despite the somewhat similar circumstances. And we never explicitly see a life debt pledges which bugs me a little.

Also, I am over tentacle monsters. Really. Lets try something new.

The Han Solo trilogy is so much better than anything in the Solo movie that I’m reading them again just to remind myself of how great his backstory was before the reset.

This guy should have been cast instead

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom