Some 2008 Prospect Wonderlic scores (1 Viewer)

It's a tool - just a part of the process. Does a low score mean they are dumb players? Not really.

But take someone who blows a personal interview. When asked about their college scheme they come up with nothing usefull. But they were making plays everywhere. Combine all of that with a low Wonderlic score and it could be a pretty strong indication that they are not that smart and will have trouble picking up an NFL scheme. They may have been getting by in college based on athletic advantages. That isn't enough in the big league.

Again, it's just a piece of the puzzle. My day job (when not playing amateur GM) is research. Most of the time there is no perfect answer that can be measured. So I look at a bunch of different things and see what direction they are pointing. If I look at 10 things and 8 are telling me the same story then I generally have an answer. I'm sure it's the same thing with NFL teams.

Ali Highsmith 7/13- My god can his stock drop anymore?!? A 5.02 40yard dash and a 7 on his wonderlic... From 2nd to UDFA in no time

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 19/38, his retake is pretty damn good...Better than most QBs. Usually people go to smaller schools because they don't have the talent or the grades. He has the brains and the talent.

A couple of Corners got a 4 on their first take, so maybe something happened...

I think the wonderlic is viable for certain positions. I would not care as much about what a RB scores as much as I would care about what a QB scored. I would pay attention to a center's score more than a guards score.

Not aspect of an evaluation is an end all, but it is a component that can not be written off. How mush weight it holds is IMO up to the position and the team evaluating the players.

Well, after reading the questions, to me they seem really easy. But the concepts of breaking down film and defensive shemes are greek to me. The test tells you how well rounded someone's cognitive and thinking abilities are assuming the subjects are scholastically endowed. I know these guys all went to college, but lets be honest. The majority of your skill position players spent all of college training in football. They should have two tests, one given at the combine, and another given before the draft. The one given at the combine should gauge their football smarts as is-- in other words, what they understand schematically concerning their positions and every other positions responsibilities. After the results, they should be given a scheme to learn over the next few months, then retested to see how well they progressed. This would give a truer evaluation in a players "football" smarts and how well they can translate in the next level. It won't be that accurate, since players who rely on visuals and hands on to learn would have to do so entirely mentally, but I do believe the results wouldn't be that far off the mark if what you are trying to figure out is which players can learn everything in their head without the aide of practicing and seeing it on the field and which can't. Is this necessary? No. I think the test should be optional, for the QB, Offensive linemen, and MLB's who need to have the skills of a general or coach and know and direct other players. I do not believe it is right to subject other players who do not have those responsibilities at their position or need to in order to be successful at their position.

Found this on a Bears fan site (not authenticated, but throwing it in for grins & giggles):

FYI: QBs Wonderlich scores

Terry Bradshaw 15
Brett Favre 22
Jeff Blake 17
Rick Mirer 31
Kordell Stewart 13.5
Steve Stenstrom 35
Danny Wuerffel 25
Brian Griese 39
Kurt Kittner 31
Cade McNown 28
Craig Krenzel 38
Kyle Orton 26
Vince Evans 8
Rex Grossman 29

:yawn:

I want a "gamer," not some guy who can give me the chemical makeup of a draft beer.

:gosaints:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 19/38, his retake is pretty damn good...Better than most QBs.

My goodness that's phenomenal for ANYONE. For anyone that cares, the average person is supposed to score around a 20. A 38 puts him at MENSA level intelligence, if you believe it correlates with IQ.

I do think Payton puts some stock on the wonderlic. The two main scores that jump out at me the most are Clady's and DRC's. I really don't see the Saints taking Clady now and I really see a chance that we'll take DRC at 10 if he's there and we don't trade up for one of the DTs.

Notable...

Jacob Tamme 34/34
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 19/38
Leodis McKelvin 13/34
Chevis Jackson 15/30
Kenny Phillips 16
Ali Highsmith 7/13

Ok, what is going on??? Three different corners scored in the teens and then took it again and scored in the 30s???

Last edited:
Shawn Crable scored a 48 on his wonderlic test

I'm curious what your source is for this. I doubt doubt it, though, because I googled a little bit and found some anecdotal posts on a forum that claim he's a really bright guy and plans to get a PhD in a hard science when his football career is over.

If Phillips, Rivers and Clady scored low why wouldn't they try taking it again like all the others who scored low the first time? DRC scored low took it again and ended up with an extremely higher score. Were they under the impression that they would probably not be able to score higher?

Well, Frank Gore scored a 4 and went to a Pro Bowl.

I wonder if Mike Martz plans on having the color coded play book Jeff Hostler HAD to have devised for Gore to reach a Pro Bowl. Red means run right. Blue, Run left. Green, up the middle.

The test is all part of the package. It will neither kill your stock or greatly enhance it by itself. If you have a checkered past and a bad wonderlic, that may say something about you. But if you have a bad wonderlic and no other red flags, that may just say you had a bad day when you took the test or you just aren't that good at the test. There are a lot of successful players who had terrible wonderlics and a lot of unsuccessful players who had great scores, but to totally dismiss a good or bad score is ridiculous otherwise they wouldn't even bother giving them the test.

Wonderlick does not correlate with the IQ test. MENSA is a society for genius', classification for genius starts at an IQ of 150. MENSA memebers are usually 170+. Average adult is about 100. Learning Disability/Retardation start at around 80. In almost all cases, IQ is simply your capacity. It is not dependant on how hard you work or study, you are either born with it or not. What you do with it is where hard work and study come in to play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom