Saints Some have forgotten how talented Jameis is (3 Viewers)

Adding RB L. Fornette, TE Gronk, WR Antonio Brown, and drafting 1st RD RT to the 2020 Bucs is NOT the same team Winston ran in 2019.

A lot of talk but very little substance and you don't seem to really understand football.
Only thing I am sure is you just do not like Winston.
I sure know that defense wasn't playing that good with Winston at QB. Tampa's defense beat us not Brady.

You are saying to "rationally evaluate the entire roster" but neglect the fact that any QB who plays this year will have the same handicap this year. An O-line that's terrible this year and WR's that are even worse. There's no point in judging a QB with the team in it's current state. You can't judge the QB's in a vacuum. They're performance is made or broken by the performance of those around them. And with the inexperienced QB's this year (in the Sean Payton system), there was no making up for the inadequacies of the practice squad that trots out there every week.

That's why I don't get these baseless claims of evaluating anyone in the QB room this year. He (ie any QB) could play a perfect game but get blindside sacked numerous times or get picked off multiple times from tipped up passes that were in the WR's hands. You're making some of your judgments based off of circumstances outside the control of any QB. Maybe Brees could have made a difference making necessary adjustments at the line, throwing guys open with pinpoint accuracy (that only 1 player I believe outside of Brees has achieved only once?) or audibling into the best plays after having 20 years of playing experience but, just like Brady, he's a perennial talent that likely won't be seen again anytime soon. Set your bar a little lower and don't judge the QB's based off the performance of the practice squad who wouldn't usually make teams anywhere else.

Great post and I agree. I'm not faulting TH with the Cowboys loss because there is no way to fairly evaluate any QB when you have a total of 3 starters left on offense....Brees may make some plays with this offense, up until the time he gets injured which wouldn't be long...

I sure know that defense wasn't playing that good with Winston at QB. Tampa's defense beat us not Brady.

Not sure I agree that it was solely the D that got TB a championship. Once Brady changed the offensive scheme (because Arians is an idiot) after we blew them out the last 7 games they averaged 35 points a game and 31 in the playoffs....that offense was scoring as well

Great post and I agree. I'm not faulting TH with the Cowboys loss because there is no way to fairly evaluate any QB when you have a total of 3 starters left on offense....Brees may make some plays with this offense, up until the time he gets injured which wouldn't be long...

Not sure I agree that it was solely the D that got TB a championship. Once Brady changed the offensive scheme (because Arians is an idiot) after we blew them out the last 7 games they averaged 35 points a game and 31 in the playoffs....that offense was scoring as well
True that. Isn't it amazing that last year we played the Bucs 3 times and only lost 2 quarters to them out of all 3 of those games? Unfortunately it was the only 2 quarters that mattered. Lol

*The Bucs scored 21 points off turnovers against us.
*Brady threw 3 straight interceptions in the second half and 2 of those 3 possession for GB had a total of negative yardage
*The defense held the the Chiefs to their lowest point total since 2017.

All Brady had to do was play the Brad Johnson role throughout the playoff.

*Brady threw 3 straight interceptions in the second half and 2 of those 3 possession for GB had a total of negative yardage

Same as he's ever done. His stats in the postseason are mediocre.

And weak arm and all, Brees had a better game against the Bucs' defense than the King Rodgers, AND the prince Mahommes

The truth in all of this is that people are afraid that JW will succeed in NO. Why? because if JW succeeds in NO and plays to his potential, they think that it somehow makes Brees less special. That's why some are quick to get him out of town and sign a middling QB that'll leave us somewhere in the middle of the pack...so they can then turn around and say "Man, I told you we'll miss the Brees days".

This inability to let go of the past is why fans are high on Book, because in their minds, he is Brees 2.0. Hell they might even think the spirit of Brees flows through Book or something.

Last edited:
The truth in all of this is that people are afraid that JW will succeed in NO. Why? because if JW succeeds in NO and plays to his potential, they think that it somehow makes Brees less special. That's why some are quick to get him out of town and sign a middling QB that'll leave us somewhere in the middle of the pack...so they can then turn around and say "Man, I told you we'll miss the Brees days".

This inability to let go of the past is why fans are high on Book, because in their minds, he is Brees 2.0. Hell they might even think the spirit of Brees flows through Book or something.
Sounds like you've already labeled him as BETTER than a middling QB. I think a lot of people are just saying, me included, that if you have the chance to upgrade the position at the right price, you do it. I'm willing to bet Sean and Mickey agree also. We shall see. This whole subject is subjective anyway. It's all a matter of opinion and only one opinion will matter, Sean Payton's. My feelings are, is he the best we have on the roster? Hell yes, by far. Can we/Should we upgrade at the most IMPORTANT position on the field if we have the opportunity? Absolutely.

Sounds like you've already labeled him as BETTER than a middling QB.
Because he is?
. I think a lot of people are just saying, me included, that if you have the chance to upgrade the position at the right price, you do it. I'm willing to bet Sean and Mickey agree also. We shall see. This whole subject is subjective anyway. It's all a matter of opinion and only one opinion will matter, Sean Payton's. My feelings are, is he the best we have on the roster? Hell yes, by far. Can we/Should we upgrade at the most IMPORTANT position on the field if we have the opportunity? Absolutely.
Problem with this is that the "Upgrade the QB cost" comes at the expense of fixing what's actually broken w/ the team. This team had a bunch of problems but QB1 going into the season wasn't one of them.

Like I say in every thread that suggests we go after another QB you need to think of this equation:

Is: JW + whatever we do to fix O > New QB - whatever we gave up to get him. If it isn't then you pull the trigger, but don't give up 3 1sts or whatever the stupid asking price for RW & AR is then turn around and complain about receiver talent, because that'll be what you're looking at next year if you make that move.

can we take a moment to acknowledge how much progress sean made in changing jameis' thought process? knowing what we know now, tampa jameis would have thrown 15 picks in the games he played.
See this is the part that was so encouraging to me. There was this line of thinking that a zebra can't change it's stripes and Winston would always be a turnover machine. This season he made a massive leap in terms of decision making. Some of his best throws were when it was obvious that the ball needed to be thrown away and he did.

He was playing with the worst pass catchers he's ever had in his career and he still looked decent. But now seeing the QB play since he's been gone makes me wonder if he was actually ballin out of control given the circumstances.

Because he is?

Problem with this is that the "Upgrade the QB cost" comes at the expense of fixing what's actually broken w/ the team. This team had a bunch of problems but QB1 going into the season wasn't one of them.

Like I say in every thread that suggests we go after another QB you need to think of this equation:

Is: JW + whatever we do to fix O > New QB - whatever we gave up to get him. If it isn't then you pull the trigger, but don't give up 3 1sts or whatever the stupid asking price for RW & AR is then turn around and complain about receiver talent, because that'll be what you're looking at next year if you make that move.
Good point. Also, don't forget that the right QB can mask some of these inefficiencies we have on the offense. I just know that a team can be talented as hell on offense but will only go as far as that quarterback will take them.

Good point. Also, don't forget that the right QB can mask some of these inefficiencies we have on the offense. I just know that a team can be talented as hell on offense but will only go as far as that quarterback will take them.
Yeah, but this team as it sits right now with all the injuries, it wouldn't matter who you have back there, they're going to struggle. Mahommes would look bad in this offense behind this line. QBs can elevate the team, but if they're surrounded by/playing behind sub starting talent, then you'd get the same result we're seeing today.

If Mike Thomas plays week 1 @ 100% there's not a doubt in my mind that we'd be sitting at 9-3, at worst....getting ready to run the table to finish at 14-3. But here we are, started the season w/o a #1 & #2WR, a skittish 2nd year TE and "elite" offensive linemen held together by toothpicks and edible kids paste.

Sorry but you're dead wrong here. Tom Brady's playoff stats were 265 yards a game, 10 TDs vs 3 INT's last year....hardly Brad Johnson like. It's a popular misconception that Brady is mediocre in the playoffs over the years. .....And don't mistake me for a Brady fan, I never want to see him in a SB again....

Yeah, but this team as it sits right now with all the injuries, it wouldn't matter who you have back there, they're going to struggle. Mahommes would look bad in this offense behind this line. QBs can elevate the team, but if they're surrounded by/playing behind sub starting talent, then you'd get the same result we're seeing today.

If Mike Thomas plays week 1 @ 100% there's not a doubt in my mind that we'd be sitting at 9-3, at worst....getting ready to run the table to finish at 14-3. But here we are, started the season w/o a #1 & #2WR, a skittish 2nd year TE and "elite" offensive linemen held together by toothpicks and edible kids paste.

Yep, I tend to agree with you...I want to see JW with the entire offense, I think folks will be very pleasantly surprised....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom