Some ideas on how to handle the forum traffic on draft days (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if you guys are interested in the following ideas to handle the traffic during the draft:

- Open a tread discussing each round of the draft.
- At the same time have a thread discussing the candidates that possibly be the pick of the saints
- A thread discussing the player picked by the saints
- A thread with general news coming out of the draft

Normally when the pick arrives, we have many many threads open at the same time announcing the pick, which make us to merge several threads. So please be patient and review that there are no other threads about the same subject.

Please let me know what you think. Can't wait until tonight.

Before posting that a player has been drafted, please look at the board to make sure that the choice hasn't already been posted. Nobody gets extra points for being the first.

I like the old draft better.
Wake up on Saturday, put on ESPN, listen to the draft analyst, it was only Kiper back then. After a couple hours the draft would start.
This waiting until primetime for one round, then again tomorrow for 2 more rounds sucks.

Exactly. I don't even watch anymore. Just wait to hear the picks roll in.

I think the single thread on league signings and updates has been fantastic, more centralised threads like that really help keep up with things. Mainly thanks to Oswego!

Is there a reasonable way during the actual draft to prevent new thread topics for a short while and only responding to those that have been established as per Guillermo's suggestion? At worst, any other threads could be able to be started in another sub-forum?

I like the old draft better.
Wake up on Saturday, put on ESPN, listen to the draft analyst, it was only Kiper back then. After a couple hours the draft would start.
This waiting until primetime for one round, then again tomorrow for 2 more rounds sucks.

Absolutely agree. To me draft weekend was more of an event that draft primetime.

Absolutely agree. To me draft weekend was more of an event that draft primetime.
Not as many TV $$$ for Goodell, though. He's like a variation of Glengarry Glenross: Always Be Monetising

Normally when the pick arrives, we have many many threads open at the same time announcing the pick, which make us to merge several threads. So please be patient and review that there are no other threads about the same subject.
I think one good way to cut down on that possibly is for Andrus to turn off the ability to create new threads for non-staff right before the draft begins and to designate one or two members of the staff (most likely RedJem for her Twitter prowess and speed, if she's available) to post the picks that way to avoid having to merge countless threads.

Now, I don't know if that function actually exists or not or how viable it'd be for a seamless experience, but I'm just spitballin' here.

I like the idea of only having several threads and not allowing the creation of new threads aside from mods. The merging in of new threads can make a thread you are following confusing

So tonight it would be
  • NFL Draft: Round 1
  • NFL Draft: Saints Speculation
  • NFL Draft: Saints Results
  • NFL Draft: General
and then tomorrow would open up Round 2 and Round 3 but continue with the same speculation, results, and general thread. The saints result thread would have an OP continually edited with the saints picks and info and the general thread would have an OP continually edited with all picks

The only thing I would suggest is some way to encourage users to NOT SPOIL PICKS prior to it being broadcast on TV. Nobody wants to read the pick on the saints forum. We want to speculate here, then see the pick on TV, then come back and discuss. Or at least that is my take. I think it would be unfair to ask the mods to try to monitor and delete for that. So I am not sure what the resolution could be

I think one good way to cut down on that possibly is for Andrus to turn off the ability to create new threads for non-staff right before the draft begins and to designate one or two members of the staff (most likely RedJem for her Twitter prowess and speed, if she's available) to post the picks that way to avoid having to merge countless threads.

Now, I don't know if that function actually exists or not or how viable it'd be for a seamless experience, but I'm just spitballin' here.
Copy cat!

I endorse our identical ideas. I also have no idea of it's possible.

agree on the old draft being better. They tried way to hard to make it an event. It was always an event for those that are into the draft and will never be an event for those who aren't.

We used to go to our chat room and bs about the picks so we have conversations and all would be good. Have one person post the pick on the main board and some others fill in with draft youtube and statistics and hatred of the pic. You know everyone hates the pick. LOL Agree with the single pic poster idea. Saves multiple threads and I think we deleted them other threads instead of merging.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom