Some important information concerning the Saints long term lease (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I want to give credit to alon504 for this post for this news I heard, I just heard it from him on a show involving Jeff Duncan and the Saints lease with the state of La. He told people in this thread I read that the State of La. is going for or trying to agree with the Saints a long term lease that would settle he matter once and for all. Jeff Duncan, the Saints TP writer was on WWL or some show last night saying that the Saints and the team should have something done pretty soon. He did not name names or say dates mind you but the general consensus was the State really wants to get a long term lease done as soon as possible.

If I can find more information on my own I will gladly post it here but this was not my idea. I heard it from a very prestigious Sr.com poster who I respect and appreciate and giving credit to him is the ethical and moral thing to do here. the reason why I posted it here was I felt that since this issue is an important matter for the well being of our state and this region, it was worth reporting what I had heard. I hope alon504 will understand my reasoning and wont be upset in me using his information in this capacity right now.

But I hope the Saints and the state can come to a good agreement pretty soon and it is equitable to both sides.

Thank you everyone and thank you alon504 for your good news.

They talked about that on 4th down on 4 last night, the guy sounded optimistic because of the sold out seats at the superdome, so that is good news.

That is positive news...thanks for posting it!

I have faith that the team will stay in N.O. There city would lose too much by way of economy if the Saints left and the new leadership in the state will hopefully see that the Saints belong in Louisiana.

I knew that vote for Jindal would pay off. 1st day on the job and getting it done.Still keeping fingers crossed.

the OP is nearly impossible to understand. you heard on a show that someone in a thread you read told you jeff duncan said something about the lease? please elaborate...

Da, basically what the news is is that last night on 4th down and 4, a WWL sports program Jeff Duncan, the Saints TP writer, said that the Saints and the state of Louisana are both working on a lease agreement that would end the talk of the Saints leaving for a long time. I wanted to make clear that I heard this from another Sr.com poster. Its his news I am reporting to you in this thread. I am sorry that my words did seem legible or the comprehension was hard.
I will do a better job in the future on such things, Da. I hope that clears it up in some way

BTW,one other thing to be pointed out.. If we do get a new lease agreement, the Saints may be playing in a new stadium as a part of the lease extension. Duncan did not say that in the program last night and alon504 did not say it in his original post, but my gut feeling tells me that any new lease agreement is going to include some stadium clause. Thats my thinking right now, and I think the Saints will have a new stadium as apart of this new agreement that may come up.

That's good news.. the only reason we did not get the 2009 Superbowl when New York found out their stadium wouldn't be ready in time was because we did not have a long term lease in place. New Orleans could not even apply for the next 3 Superbowls because Benson could have moved the team at the drop of a hat and paid the 20 million buy-out fee.. that's why the NFL awarded next year's Superbowl to Miami (again). I never will understand why Jindal can accomplish something in 1 week that Blanco couldn't do in 4 years.

That's good news.. the only reason we did not get the 2009 Superbowl when New York found out their stadium wouldn't be ready in time was because we did not have a long term lease in place. New Orleans could not even apply for the next 3 Superbowls because Benson could have moved the team at the drop of a hat and paid the 20 million buy-out fee.. that's why the NFL awarded next year's Superbowl to Miami (again). I never will understand why Jindal can accomplish something in 1 week that Blanco couldn't do in 4 years.

The answer seems obvious, she is incompetent, Jindal isn't.

Blanco in the begining of her term had a limited interest in the Saints. Keep in mind that Benson and team executive contributed to Jindal in his gubernatorial run four years ago, and Kathleen did demonstrate that she has a long memory. However, let's wait and see what happens before we uncork the champagne. A new stadium in the near future will be a difficult sell politically, and right now I do not see Jindal expending his political capital on a new stadium project after the state has spent millions--and is spending millions more--renovating the Superdome, and the Superdome has just hosted successfully college football's prime event.

Blanco in the begining of her term had a limited interest in the Saints. Keep in mind that Benson and team executive contributed to Jindal in his gubernatorial run four years ago, and Kathleen did demonstrate that she has a long memory. However, let's wait and see what happens before we uncork the champagne. A new stadium in the near future will be a difficult sell politically, and right now I do not see Jindal expending his political capital on a new stadium project after the state has spent millions--and is spending millions more--renovating the Superdome, and the Superdome has just hosted successfully college football's prime event.

I'd have to agree w/ RJ on this one....I am most certainly a Saints fan, but given the fact that the Superdome is being renovated as we speak..I can see where people would feel like a new stadium would be a misuse of state funds (tax dollars) given the other issues that need to be vigorously attacked first.....like coastal restoration maybe

Really just watched Fourth Down on Four...as we all would expect the next lease should be long term. As Duncan stated last night, it really isn't right or fair that the fans have to stay on pins and needles for so long with the Saints and whether or not they are staying or leaving. Duncan feels that the next lease will be the long term lease we are seeking. He also stated that he believe a new long term lease will be worked out with the Hornets in a couple of years, pending we reach the attendance requirements, but, I feel as Duncan...that situation will be fine. I'll add a little personal opinion. I think that the Saints will get a long term lease with the promise of a new stadium at least under construction by the end of that lease (likely 10 years). With that promise, the Saints will ask for no more subsidies and New Orleans will get ONE more Superbowl in the Superdome. Just my two cents on the matter. Duncan made a great point, though, and that is that the state has plenty of leverage this go around..all suites are sold and all seats are sold. BTW...Benson is a staunch Republican and from what I hear is a huge supporter and admirer of Jindal. So this looks good to me...for both the Saints and the Hornets. Glad Jindal is going to be in these crucial negotiations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom