Some insider info...maybe (1 Viewer)

I mean, there is certainly nothing in that conversation that I would be surprised to see come true so sure. I think Drew wants to come back and I would be very happy to see him sign a deal that gives him a chance to win without crippling the teams future.
I agree, but he needs to have a much lower cap hit.

Teddy seems like going to get starter money somewhere. No way the saints can meet that number. He ain't coming back for 7 mill again

I didn't realize you get a draft pick everytime one of your unrestricted free agents leaves to sign with another team. Did we get one from Ingram leaving?
Teams don’t. It depends on a combination of things including the APY (average per year) of the contract the player’s new team signs them to (along with other factors including playing time and postseason honors), whether you sign qualifying free agents from another team to a similar deal which “cancels out” that loss, and lastly whether or not you fall within that 32-compensatory pick limit.

They only give out 32 compensatory picks each year and to get them, the players you’re losing have to be signed to deals that put them toward the top of the heap in APY and you can’t sign another free agent that might offset that possible pick.

Here’s each team’s cancellation chart pieced together by the guys at OverTheCap, who have nearly completely nailed down the compensatory pick formula.
As you can see on there, Ingram would’ve more than likely netted us only a 6th round compensatory pick had his loss not been cancelled out due to our high activity in free agency last year.

Bridgewater might possibly sign a deal for $20M+ APY in March which will be among the highest APY in the league of qualifying free agents going to new teams in 2020 so he’d definitely fall within that 32-pick limit.

So unless we go out and sign another qualifying free agent to a $20M+ deal to cancel the loss of Bridgewater out, we’d more than likely receive a 2021 3rd round compensatory pick in return. Yes, 2021, we won’t receive that pick for this coming draft.

Might be Jalen Hurts...

Saints may be able to trade down, get Hurts in the 2nd and get another good pick.
For once I might. Repeat MIGHT. Be on the trade back team. But if there’s a stud WR out there that SP and ML want I’m back on the trade up team

I liked the OP. Properly qualified, and presented. This is why message boards are fun....or at least can be.

We weren't ready for our playoff game, so now speculation is pretty much all we have for a few weeks. So it goes.

Both Michael Lombardi and Chris Simms have stated on separate podcasts that they have heard from multiple people around the league that Payton's belief in Taysom Hill as the heir apparent is very real. They also happen to share Payton's assessment. They think he's a potential star QB. Not just a gadget, trick-play guy.

Please take with a grain of salt. I ran into a guy at an airport today and he saw my saints hat and we started chatting. He claimed to be a pr rep for retired nfl guys amd had a couple of former saints and any other nfl guys as his clients. We started talking saints qb situation etc. He said that taysom is saints future qb and that the saints and payton envision a Baltimore south offense with taysom as their Lamar Jackson and he will be a steal contract wise. He said teddy is gone amd will sign a big enough contract somewhere that we will get a 3rd round compensation pick. As far as brees he said the saints and payton wont pay brees another 20 plus million contract and the only way we resing him is a prove it incentive laden deal.

Please take with a grain of salt. I do t want to drop names but he certainly seemed connected and knew his saints players some of which he represents. Dont wanna say who just for anonymity sake.

I dont agree with the prove it deal less then 20 mil. Not saying it won't happen, but I think it has a lot more to do with if Brees will give them a discount. Not so much as the front office not wanting to sign him for more then 20 mil. If Brees wants more then 20 mil, they will give it to him

I wish we wouldn't do this. Last time we tried to copy a trend, it was when we signed guys like Jairus Byrd and Brandon Browner.

Hopefully we do whatever we do next with more success.
I don't know whether or not Taysom is the next Saints QB (although Glazer and Payton are close).

But when it comes to offense, Payton is known primarily a trend-setter, not a copycat. Teams steal plays from one another all the time (Payton included). But he's known as one of the most innovative guys in the league. He's got too much pride to just straight-up copy someone else's entire offense.

I really believe, in conjunction with Brees’ evaluation of how he physically feels in the next 30 days, is how the Saints value him, as far as money. I think Drew will want a 1 year deal around 28 million. And if the Saints do not see fit to pay, it will be a quiet walk into the sunset for Drew! JMO. And then comes Taysom. Teddy will not be in the Saints long term plans, because of the money he will command and the number of young players the Saints need to pay.

No doubt. We have heard about Taysom being Payton's guy since last year, before Jackson had his breakout. So it wouldn't be a copycat deal...

I was just talking and reminiscing about bad moves we've made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom