" [Some] JPSO deputies won't work [voluntary] Bonnabel [HSFB game] detail after players kneel during anthem" (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I saw this trending on my timelines.

I'm not sure how I feel about this since it's been made clear that this detail is "voluntary". Just had to put it in bold so folks know that I know it is volunteer work. :ezbill:

However, I wished the officers refusing the volunteer work would've used this as a teachable moment and opportunity to speak with the young kids and how they're feeling about today's climate.

ARTICLE

"That is a voluntary detail, so I suspect I will have some officers refuse to work the Bonnabel High School games," Sheriff Newell Normand said. "The same way that the Bonnabel players have every right to kneel during the national anthem, my officers have every right not to volunteer to work the Bonnabel high school football game."

Pic of the Bonnabel team kneeling...

11990764_G.jpg

Haven't lived in the parish in a long time, but I have to say from my experiences back then, it's not at all surprising that the average JPSO officer isn't as mature as the average school kids at Bonnabel.

Or they could work the detail and use the opportunity to reach out to members of the community and try and change perceptions in a positive way.

Public servants.

Haven't lived in the parish in a long time, but I have to say from my experiences back then, it's not at all surprising that the average JPSO officer isn't as mature as the average school kids at Bonnabel.

It really does feel, as the kids say, "petty" on the part of the officers.

I haven't given it as much thought as it probably deserves, but I have yet to be convinced that officers working details is a good idea.

These officers get to use taxpayer funded training, equipment, and authority to serve the interest of a private entity for payment, just doesn't seem right to me.

Just had to put it in bold so folks know that I know it is volunteer work. :ezbill:

However, I wished the officers refusing the volunteer work would've used this as a teachable moment and opportunity to speak with the young kids and how they're feeling about today's climate.

It's "voluntary" meaning that it is not a required part of their job duties and they are not assigned the work by their commanding officers, but detail work (probably for $35-$40 per hour, often cash with loose reporting requirements, paid by whatever entity is requesting it) is far from "volunteer" work.

Also, while doing this volunteer work, they're often using taxpayer-funded equipment, right?

That's why the last line of that article bothered me as well...

Normand said his deputies sometimes won’t volunteer for security details during concerts or events if they don’t agree with the artist or message.

You are really getting ticky tacky if you are worried about them using public funded equipment and training. That's a load of ******** and you can stash that kind of thinking right alone with the petty ******** the officers are doing. If someone wants to pay an officer to make an event safer, why would you find something wrong with that unless you are just trying to be an *******.

If these officers really wanted to make a statement, they would express their displeasure about being sterotyped as a 'typical' cop who is just out to kill black people and prove those people wrong by showing up to the game anyway. When did we become such a society of cry babies. Everything is just a petty game of ***-for-tat. Man the **** up in a real way and show these kids how a real hero acts to do the right thing even when society doesn't appreciate it. How about that?

You are really getting ticky tacky if you are worried about them using public funded equipment and training. That's a load of ******** and you can stash that kind of thinking right alone with the petty ******** the officers are doing. If someone wants to pay an officer to make an event safer, why would you find something wrong with that unless you are just trying to be an *******.

If these officers really wanted to make a statement, they would express their displeasure about being sterotyped as a 'typical' cop who is just out to kill black people and prove those people wrong by showing up to the game anyway. When did we become such a society of cry babies. Everything is just a petty game of ***-for-tat. Man the **** up in a real way and show these kids how a real hero acts to do the right thing even when society doesn't appreciate it. How about that?

Hmm...angry much?! That's about all I can muster for a response like this, since you CLEARLY aren't looking to have a civil conversation about how both sides of this issue can come together.

And it's WOMAN. I'm definitely WOMAN'd up:ezbill:

Or they could work the detail and use the opportunity to reach out to members of the community and try and change perceptions in a positive way.

Public servants.

Because it wouldn't do any good. The snowflake generation is not interested in facts, only how they feel
The majority of the recent police shootings have been because people resisted arrest and were armed but the protesters ignore the facts and make assumptions based on 15 seconds of video because they feel they've been marginalized.
Why can't police officers exercise their 1st amendment rights without backlash?

Because it wouldn't do any good.

If there is no good to be had then we are doomed.

But I disagree with you, anyway, because I don't share your opinion that officers are powerless to affect positive change in their communities.

I think the bigger problem, as opposed to your claims that this is a 'snowflake generation', is that we've empowered law enforcement officers so much that many have forgotten that they do actually serve their communities; including those people, with whom, disagreement exists.

If there is no good to be had then we are doomed.

But I disagree with you, anyway, because I don't share the opinion with you that officers are powerless to effect positive change in their communities.

I think the bigger problem, as opposed to your claims that this is a 'snowflake generation', is that we've empowered law enforcement officers so much that many have forgotten that they do actually serve their communities; including those people, with whom, disagreement exists.

And I think the problem is a lack of respect for law enforcement. Instead of starting arguments and fight with the police, just comply, let them do their job and if they infringe on your rights. Let a lawyer handle it.

Because it wouldn't do any good. The snowflake generation is not interested in facts, only how they feel
The majority of the recent police shootings have been because people resisted arrest and were armed but the protesters ignore the facts and make assumptions based on 15 seconds of video because they feel they've been marginalized.
Why can't police officers exercise their 1st amendment rights without backlash?

What backlash exactly have they gone through?

Why is this a big deal? The officers are free to choose the details that they want to work. It is not required. If the players want to protest, the police have the right to disagree with the protest and not work in what they may consider to be a "hostile environment."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom