" [Some] JPSO deputies won't work [voluntary] Bonnabel [HSFB game] detail after players kneel during anthem" (1 Viewer)

Why is this a big deal? The officers are free to choose the details that they want to work. It is not required. If the players want to protest, the police have the right to disagree with the protest and not work in what they may consider to be a "hostile environment."

Saints, how is what was pictured above a hostile environment? Legit question. That was a peaceful protest those from young men. I do however, understand your other point about it being volunteer work, but it's a fine line.

And I think the problem is a lack of respect for law enforcement. Instead of starting arguments and fight with the police, just comply, let them do their job and if they infringe on your rights. Let a lawyer handle it.

There are people who don't respect authority, but it's also true that there are officers who don't respect citizens. In scenarios where at least one of the people in a situation is trained, I think a larger part of the burden falls on the trained individual.

Every time officers put on the uniform and go to work, they have a chance to instill trust in the people they encounter. Anecdotally, I've witnessed my share of ******* police behavior from my white, suburban vantage point to accept that there is truth to the complaints that many citizens make.

Freedom to protest has to take into account backlash. The police officers have a choice whether to work those details. They choose not to. It is as simple as that.

The police officers have a choice whether to work those details. They choose not to. It is as simple as that.

No real disagreement there - but then as it is with most things, there's what you can do and what you should do.

I do think these officers are missing an opportunity to do their part to promote confidence and goodwill in their communities, and that's something I think officers should feel inclined to do.

There are people who don't respect authority, but it's also true that there are officers who don't respect citizens. In scenarios where at least one of the people in a situation is trained, I think a larger part of the burden falls on the trained individual.

Every time officers put on the uniform and go to work, they have a chance to instill trust in the people they encounter. Anecdotally, I've witnessed my share of ******* police behavior from my white, suburban vantage point to accept that there is truth to the complaints that many citizens make.

They should already have that trust and should only have a chance to lose said trust, not the other way around. If that's not the case then the Sheriff is not doing his job and the majority should vote him out.

No real disagreement there - but then as it is with most things, there's what you can do and what you should do.

I do think these officers are missing an opportunity to do their part to instill confidence and goodwill in their communities, and that's something I think officers should feel inclined to do.
:clapbig:

SOOO much this.

Imagine the impact on those young men if those Deputies would have joined in the protest and followed up with dialog. Instead, they choose the typical adversarial option which will only increase the divide. I don't blame the individual deputies or officers, they get their ideology fed to them by the Fraternal Order of Police and the FOP have shown they are not interested engaging in a dialog with the communities they are sworn to serve.

Because it wouldn't do any good. The snowflake generation is not interested in facts, only how they feel
The majority of the recent police shootings have been because people resisted arrest and were armed but the protesters ignore the facts and make assumptions based on 15 seconds of video because they feel they've been marginalized.
Why can't police officers exercise their 1st amendment rights without backlash?

Lies. John Crawford, Tamir Rice, Sam Dubose, Philando Castille, and Laquan McDonald were unarmed. Then there was Wendall Allen right here in nola whom was not only unarmed but shirtless inside a home. None of these people put their hands on an officer nor threatened with a weapon. Yet they are all dead from police bullets.

Sandra Bland had her constitutional right to smoke a cigarette at a traffic stop violated.

This is also a lot deeper than just the recent cases. There are tons of cases of excessive violence used by officers going back decades.

Don't sit there and try to minimize a long standing problem long before phone cameras. Perhaps you need to reassess what the word "facts" mean.

Imagine the impact on those young men if those Deputies would have joined in the protest and followed up with dialog. Instead, they choose the typical adversarial option which will only increase the divide. I don't blame the individual deputies or officers, they get their ideology fed to them by the Fraternal Order of Police and the FOP have shown they are not interested engaging in a dialog with the communities they are sworn to serve.

I'd like to see departments emphasize community policing practices, and actually make good deeds / positive interactions compulsory to the job.

I think it's good for the community, but I also think it would be good for officers as a way of humanizing the daily work they do. Obviously many officers already do this because they want to, but it should be required of every officer. Greeting people, being courteous, helping when they can, should be as important, and emphasized, as writing tickets and making arrests.

And I think the problem is a lack of respect for law enforcement. Instead of starting arguments and fight with the police, just comply, let them do their job and if they infringe on your rights. Let a lawyer handle it.

You know respect goes both ways right?

And with regards to JPSO, I have several friends who work there, but since Normand has tried to become Harry Lee with his tirades, I'd much rather deal with Gretna PD before encountering JPSO.

:clapbig:

SOOO much this.

Unfortunately, they're following the ways of their leader.

Saints, how is what was pictured above a hostile environment? Legit question. That was a peaceful protest those from young men. I do however, understand your other point about it being volunteer work, but it's a fine line.

I'm not saying it is. I said what they may consider to be. As the protests involved hostile feelings towards law enforcement, it would not be unrealistic to assume that some could feel it could be a hostile environment. Whether or not they do is an individual feeling. Regardless, it is a choice and they may chose not to.

You know respect goes both ways right?

It does, but sometimes people need to take the smart route and obey the authority rather than try and fight it. It is similar to when you were a kid. Did you ever think you were on such an even playing ground with your parents that you would argue when they told you to do something that they felt was right? Heck no, it got you punished or whipped.

Why is this a big deal? The officers are free to choose the details that they want to work. It is not required. If the players want to protest, the police have the right to disagree with the protest and not work in what they may consider to be a "hostile environment."

This is a typical response from you. So you're saying that a bunch of high school kids kneeling together for approx. 2 minutes quietly is a hostile environment. That's as feeble-minded as it comes. :jpshakehead:

I'm not saying it is. I said what they may consider to be. As the protests involved hostile feelings towards law enforcement, it would not be unrealistic to assume that some could feel it could be a hostile environment. Whether or not they do is an individual feeling. Regardless, it is a choice and they may chose not to.

Obviously you have paid attention to anything protestors have said. They have talked about a distinct pattern of certain officers and their inability to interact with the public, particularly the black community. In that same note, they have also expressed support for good law enforcement and our troops, since they're constantly thrown in it. We as a society should be able to criticize those in law enforcement who are doing wrong, especially when law enforcement don't have the guts to hold themselves accountable.

It does, but sometimes people need to take the smart route and obey the authority rather than try and fight it. It is similar to when you were a kid. Did you ever think you were on such an even playing ground with your parents that you would argue when they told you to do something that they felt was right? Heck no, it got you punished or whipped.

It is no where near similar. You're trying to compare a child's relationship with a parent to two grown people?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom