Some Misc. Stats to consider (1 Viewer)

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
here are some interesting stats from this year's reg season. seeing that we've had the chicken-egg discussions about pass rush vs. cover corners, I found some interesting numbers:

top eight teams in Sacks in NFL 2007:

1. Giants -Super Bowl
2. Patriots -Super Bowl
3. Cowboys-playoff team
4. Seahawks-playoff team
5. Chargers-playoff team
6. Bears
7. Titans-playoff team
8. Vikings

Saints ranked tied for 19th

four of the top 8 passing defenses made the playoffs where six of the top eight defenses in sacks made the playoffs.

top 8 teams in Interceptions in NFL 2007:

1. Chargers-playoff team
2. Colts-playoff team
3. Titans-playoff team
4. Jaguars-playoff team
5. Seahawks-playoff team
6. Bengals
7. Cowboys-playoff team
8. Packers-playoff team

wow. not that this should be a big shocker, but when you consider the Saints were ranked 28th in this category, it's a pretty telling weakness that needs to be addressed.

One more thing that stood out to me is the Vikes, who have one of the top DT duo's in the NFL. The Vikes were first against the run, eight in sacks, yet dead last in the NFL in passing defense. Just some numbers I ran across.

we definitely need help in the box when it concerns pass rush, no doubt. it is always more intelligent to build the trenches, but we are going to get destroyed with the pass if we dont get some decent corners. MM is done. he was a great player for us this year, but that injury, at his age, could be the kiss of death.

we did improve against the run, our biggest problem last yr, and we need a better pass rush, but at what cost? we already have 2 high priced ends. how much more do we spend on the line? couldnt we scheme a bit better to generate some rush?

Also, something I forgot to add, the leading sacker among DTs in the NFL was Darnell Docket of the Cards with 9 and Tommie Harris of the Bears with 8 for the year. Both teams run 4-3 defense as their base. The leading sacker among OLB's that run a base 4-3 defense was Julian Peterson with 9.5 sacks.(tied for 17th in NFL). The leading sacker among MLB was Will Witherspoon of the Rams (also run a base 4-3) with 7 sacks (tied for 31st in NFL).

In looking at the top 8 individual leaders in sacks for 2007, 6 of the top 8 are DE's that run a base 4-3, the other two are OLB's that run a base 3-4. The Saints' sack leader this year was Will Smith with 7 (which has him tied at 31st in NFL).

That's some convincing numbers concerning different areas of the "D". We know Payton is an "offense minded guy". Maybe an other concern is a "D" coordinator. Like OnePeat stated, We have these high priced ends that are getting the job done, maybe they need a better defensive mind to get the job done. This draft will tell a lot about Payton, if he goes for a WR in the first round, I'll...............I'll...........KILL SOMEBODY. I don't care about best player available crap. Get some "D"

Something to consider - most of those playoff teams score and force their opponents to try to catch up - i.e. - abandon the run. DEs and OLBs teeing off on the pass when you know they are passing helps. It also allows the defenses to sit is zone coverages and read the QB.

Some more stats:

5 teams gave up 50 or more pass plays of 20+ yards

1. Bills 55
2. Saints 54
3. Ravens 53
4. 49ers 51
5. Browns 50

least amount

1. Colts 20 playoff team
2. Bucs 24 playoff team
3. Steelers 32 playoff team
4. Patriots 32 Super Bowl team
5. Jets 34

Opposing QB's passer rating:

top 8 highest allowed

1. Saints 96.9
2. Lions 96.8
3. Texans 93.6
4. Dolphins 92.4
5. 49ers 89.9
6. Bengals 89.2
7. Broncos 88.3
8. Falcons 88.2

5 of these teams are drafting in the top 10 (incl. SF)

top 8 lowest allowed

1. Chargers 70.0 playoff team
2. Seahawks 73.0 playoff team
3. Colts 73.3 playoff team
4. Titans 74.5 playoff team
5. Cowboys 75.1 playoff team
6. Packers 75.6 playoff team
7. Jaguars 76.1 playoff team
8. Bucs 76.2 playoff team

I see a correlation of success/failure there.

I don't see the Saints getting rid of Gibbs at this point. The hire of Orgeron tells us this. They wouldn't hire a defensive assistant and then fire the coordinator. They would hire a new coordinator first and then let him hire his own assistants.

I'm thinking that the lack of man-to-man corners provides the Saints with the opportunity to reconsider their scheme in the secondary. David is a cover 2 type and the others would probably fare better there as well. I don't like the cover 2 but it may be necessary to change the scheme to fit the personnel. At the very least it will help to decrease the 20+ yard pass plays.

I'm thinking that a switch to the cover 2 would allow for less money to be spent on corners and provide more funds to improve the front 7 and possibly the safety play.

Well, I don'tknow that Bullocks is a covery 2 type safety either? We have a ton tied up in David, McKenzie, and Thomas already - don't we?

Then, of course, there is Denver, who have perhaps the best CB combination in the league. The Broncos were 7th best in passing yards allowed, and had 33 sacks (ranked 17th overall), but finished 5th worst in the league in total points allowed (25.6 ppg allowed, Detroit was last at 27.8 ppg allowed). Ranking 30th overall in rush yards allowed will do that to you.

toi cook and robert massey werent the greatest corners, and we were effective. this lends credence to the OP, but damn, if we have anyone save MM that is as good as cook and massey...

we need a corner, a DT, and a LBer. that is obvious. the question is, who and how???

based on the stats I've posted, the conclusion that I have come up with is the teams that limit the opposing teams QB passer rating, give up few big passing plays, and cause/create interceptions have been the most successful W/L wise. Now, I know none of that is groundbreaking at all, but I think it's easier to see what works in the NFL today. It used to be all about stopping the run, and to some extent is still is, but with the emphasis on passing the league now, it appears that stopping the pass is more important.

One more thing that stood out to me is the Vikes, who have one of the top DT duo's in the NFL. The Vikes were first against the run, eight in sacks, yet dead last in the NFL in passing defense. Just some numbers I ran across.

It's actually kind of scary that another team was worse than the Saints.

based on the stats I've posted, the conclusion that I have come up with is the teams that limit the opposing teams QB passer rating, give up few big passing plays, and cause/create interceptions have been the most successful W/L wise. Now, I know none of that is groundbreaking at all, but I think it's easier to see what works in the NFL today. It used to be all about stopping the run, and to some extent is still is, but with the emphasis on passing the league now, it appears that stopping the pass is more important.

if that is the case, tampa/cover 2 is the way to go. it limits big plays and provides decent overall coverage while providing good run support. we need another safety to run a tampa/cover 2

if that is the case, tampa/cover 2 is the way to go. it limits big plays and provides decent overall coverage while providing good run support. we need another safety to run a tampa/cover 2

for a 4-3 scheme and based on the Saints' personnel, I would agree with this.

do you see the saints switching to such a defense? is it something gibbs has experience with? im not opposed, but i just dont see it happening...

personally, i wish we had the athletes to go to an old skool 46...
buddy ball baby!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom