Some nuggets from Mike Triplett's chat with fans today (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing eye opening but just thought it might help pass the time before the draft.

*Definitely look for the Saints to draft a QB in the later rounds, and if not, an undrafted free agent.

*The Saints are torn on whether they want to pay Roman Harper the money he's due to make this year, which includes a $7.1 cap figure. They could probably get him to take a pay cut but don't want to be in business of demanding a pay cut just because they can. They also don't wanna just cut him because they know he has something to offer team as long as he isn't asked to cover deep ball.

*Think Saints should be done with adding any more pieces at corner in free agency, although re-signing Elbert Mack is a definite possibility.

* Saints would have a problem at WR if Moore or Colston were hurt, but resigning Camarillo and Henderson could be an option if that happens.

*Feelings on where defensive players will line up in new scheme? Galette will be a rush outside LBer. Wilson will play at other outside LBer spot. Jordan and Smith at DE. Bunkley and Hicks at DT. Lofton, Hawthorne and Vilma will be inside LB'ers.

*Chad Jones didn't come close to being offered contract by Saints.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/04/new_orleans_saints_chat_with_m_22.html

Thanks for the recap. Like you said, nothing really new. I would love to see them bring Mack back, though.

So glad Triplett is the Saints beat writer now for the TP instead of that troll Duncan.

Thanks for the recap. Like you said, nothing really new. I would love to see them bring Mack back, though.

Me too, it's almost arguable that he played better than Robinson last year, no?

Im struggling with understanding how making Roman Harper take a pay cut is something they are "torn" about.

That did strike me as odd as well. If they think he's being paid too much, why not demand it? They're not gonna do it just cause they have the leverage to?

That did strike me as odd as well. If they think he's being paid too much, why not demand it? They're not gonna do it just cause they have the leverage to?

I'm hardly a Roman Harper supporter, but he isn't as bad as we all think. He led safeties in tackles last year despite basically playing out of position as a coverage DB instead of a blitzing/line of scrimmage SS like he had done under G3 (his play in that system earned him two Pro Bowls). Could be the FO is hoping he'll return to form under Rob Ryan and play at a $7.1 million level.

That said, there is no excuse for Will Smith to be starting at RDE over Akiem Hicks. At this point in their careers Hicks is at least twice the player Smith is.

So glad Triplett is the Saints beat writer now for the TP instead of that troll Duncan.

I like how Mack played last year, but not sure how he would do in this scheme. He is more of a zone corner.

I'd love to resign Mack.

Liked everything but I just think hicks is too good to just be a backup NT

I think the saints might go after that tulane kid at QB and as much as I hate to say this we might need to go WR in this draft but we also need a good NT and LT and a very good OLB and why havent we resigned elbert mack :rant:yet he was solid for us in the slot and nickle

Re: Roman Harper.

they are torn over the pay cut issue b/c they do not want to be known as a team that makes players routinely take pay cuts. In the long term, it's bad business as it affects free agency.

Triplett, Wasn't he the one that picked the Colts to win in the Superbowl vs Saints, and wrote up a giant Falcons article on Tony Gonzalez before NFC championship this season? Okay at least he no Jeff Duncan.

Harper needs to go!

I've been praying we draft an OLB like Mingo but if they are seriously planning on using Hicks at NT behind Bunkley while playing Smith at DE, I think I'll jump aboard the Richardson bandwagon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom