Some of these moves are alarming (1 Viewer)

No, he's the head coach. He can't be DC and HC at the same time. Payton had several people to manage the offense while he focused on the team. Playcalling is just a small part of the picture.
Payton called the plays…He had the balls! (That are now sorely lacking) He also had a first ballot hall of fame quarterback. How was the offense Payton’s last year?

Dennis can run the defense just like Payton did the offense.

We are entering that part of the ride where we dip way way down….here’s to that dip not lasting past next season.

The defense wasn’t Richard’s defense though. Allen still called plays and had the final say on that side of the ball even with two co-DCs. Any defensive stats is still Allen’s.

The defense was top 5-10 with a young elite secondary developed by Allen before Richard came here and will remain that way going forward.

Some moves are just apart of the business when there’s differences. I think we can’t react to every little move while the offseason is a process and just getting started unofficially. We won’t really see where we headed with the roster until after the draft.
Allen is not the defensive version of Sean. He needs help, a lot.

We did not field “a young elite secondary developed by Allen” last year. Taylor was a rookie, Adebo was bad, Mathieu and Maye are vets (developed else where).

Agree this feels like business. Also think we should not spin it as, Allen is here on defense so we are ok. Allen needs to focus on being head coach. Not being DC and DL and Secondary coach. Maybe spend time holding the terrible OC accountable?

This team was poorly coached, bad in key situations, could not close out games, and undisciplined. It’s not about roster building… Who wants to come here anyway.

Payton called the plays…He had the balls! (That are now sorely lacking) He also had a first ballot hall of fame quarterback. How was the offense Payton’s last year?

Dennis can run the defense just like Payton did the offense.
My point is that you need people to do the heavy lifting while you focus on the whole team. I'm not questioning whether he can call plays, we just lost two reputable assistant coaches that has to be replaced.

Allen is not the defensive version of Sean. He needs help, a lot.

We did not field “a young elite secondary developed by Allen” last year. Taylor was a rookie, Adebo was bad, Mathieu and Maye are vets (developed else where).

Agree this feels like business. Also think we should not spin it as, Allen is here on defense so we are ok. Allen needs to focus on being head coach. Not being DC and DL and Secondary coach. Maybe spend time holding the terrible OC accountable?

This team was poorly coached, bad in key situations, could not close out games, and undisciplined. It’s not about roster building… Who wants to come here anyway.
I mentioned Allen developed a young elite secondary before Richard arrived. We had Pro Bowl caliber talent in Lattimore, Marcus Williams, and Bell before Richard was here. Gardner-Johnson was an exceptional nickel corner before Richard. Porter, Greer, and Jenkins were the first group of young DB talent that were coached to a high level by Allen.

Having two co-DCs is arguably the reason why Adebo and Mathieu regressed individually and during key moments the past season. Davenport definitely took a step back and that was Nielsen’s area. The D as a unit regressed in certain situations with Richard and Nielsen providing input while they were DCs. That falls on Allen for trying to appease both and it looks he’s rectifying the mistake of having either as DC by letting both walk.

My point is that you need people to do the heavy lifting while you focus on the whole team. I'm not questioning whether he can call plays, we just lost two reputable assistant coaches that has to be replaced.
Underhill & Triplett pointed out that when Payton was here, it was clear in practice that he was focused on the offense & DA was focused on the defense. They pointed out that in this year's practices, DA was all over the place---offense, defense, special teams. I think his primary focus needs to be where his strength lies---and that's defense.

True, the team just lost 2 reputable assistants --but on a top 10 defense, that's going to happen. Have to trust at this point that DA & Jeff Ireland, two pretty solid defensive minds, can up with quality replacements. If they can't, it will be evident next season.

My much much bigger issue with DA will be if Carmichael is once again left in charge of the offense. It's pretty evident his main strength is game planning & not calling a game when the bullets start flying. I'm betting (or maybe hoping) that Pete is a Bronco by Valentine's Day. If not, I would hope DA/Loomis would start a search for a veteran coach to be an offensive assistant that could call plays during the actual games

Underhill & Triplett pointed out that when Payton was here, it was clear in practice that he was focused on the offense & DA was focused on the defense. They pointed out that in this year's practices, DA was all over the place---offense, defense, special teams. I think his primary focus needs to be where his strength lies---and that's defense.

True, the team just lost 2 reputable assistants --but on a top 10 defense, that's going to happen. Have to trust at this point that DA & Jeff Ireland, two pretty solid defensive minds, can up with quality replacements. If they can't, it will be evident next season.

My much much bigger issue with DA will be if Carmichael is once again left in charge of the offense. It's pretty evident his main strength is game planning & not calling a game when the bullets start flying. I'm betting (or maybe hoping) that Pete is a Bronco by Valentine's Day. If not, I would hope DA/Loomis would start a search for a veteran coach to be an offensive assistant that could call plays during the actual games
Valid points but I don't know if finding defensive staff should be something we need Ireland to do. My concern with DA is that I'm not sure if he has connections around the league. We seem to be lost without Payton's connections when it comes to bringing in new people, as the sham offensive coordinator search demonstrated last year. It just seems like the coaching staff is not trying to get better

Yeah let's keep making excuses and villainizing those of us that know incompetence when we see it.

KDWYD - I see a merchandising opportunity...black and gold KDWYD hats, t-shirts

No, he's the head coach. He can't be DC and HC at the same time. Payton had several people to manage the offense while he focused on the team. Playcalling is just a small part of the picture.
I think that’s an over-simplification of things.

Everything offense was under Payton’s watchful eye.

Payton was barely aware of the defense. Why else do you think we had some of the worst defenses in league history during some of Brees’ prime years? Payton was hyper focused on the offense and it wasn’t until he handed the defense over to someone competent in 2009 that he was able to have a balanced team. One Williams was ousted, the defense went back into the tank until Allen came along.

Allen is and always will be the defensive coordinator much the same way Bill Belichick does.

However, Bill brought in good coordinators on offense who were able to put their HOF QB in the best positron to succeed.

Allen needs to bring in someone competent to run the offense and let them do their thing. Carmichael isn’t that dude.

My much much bigger issue with DA will be if Carmichael is once again left in charge of the offense.
What do you mean by "if"? Carmichael has been retained as OC and the only change looks like a new TE coach/run game coordinator. Pete is definitely still going to be the guy to draw up the schemes and call plays for the offense. It's not a good situation, IMO.

What do you mean by "if"? Carmichael has been retained as OC and the only change looks like a new TE coach/run game coordinator. Pete is definitely still going to be the guy to draw up the schemes and call plays for the offense. It's not a good situation, IMO.
Richard just left yesterday. Until Payton finalizes his staff, I wouldn't put any of our coaches down as a lock

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom