Some QB questions for the experts. (1 Viewer)

Piper Aydair

Very Banned
Reaction score
#1 There was a lot of talk about the Saints actively pursuing Burrows. Was that all real or just a pipe dream. I think I read someone even saying they were considering trading Thomas and Kamara. Does anyone know what the truth was?

#2 I've heard Payton say, a few times, he thinks Taysom will be a starting QB in league but I can't remember him saying he will be a starting QB for the Saints. Is he just being coy? I'm thinking if he signs for one year on the tender and does not sign a longer term extension then neither side thinks he will be the saint future. Is my thinking wrong?

#3 I can't think of any parallels for Teddy's case that match his starter, injury, backup, starter pathway. DId I miss some?

#4 I think Brady is a realist and is coasting toward retirement. Pad a few stats, maybe outlast and eclipse Brees TD record or such, bank a few more dollars (try to catch up to Gisel) and maybe ride a long shot to a title game or really long odds to a final SB. Not saying he won't play hard but I don't think he left thinking this was a real chance to get another ring.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts. Going a bit stir crazy on lock down.

1) Sean, Mickey and Gail all probably know the truth. Given the source of the rumor, I'd have to say there is legitimacy to it. Just my opinion.
2) As of today, I'd say the Saints' plans are with TH as the starting QB next year. This could change by Sept. 2021
3) I'm sure there are some. Someone here probably knows.
4) Brady doesn't coast. He'll put 100% in. Tampa will win a couple more games than last year and will sell LOTS more tix and sell LOTS more merchandise.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn before so I guess I qualify as an expert.

#1 - This completely came from the Coach Pete threads. If you believe in him, yes. Pretty much anyone else, no. There is, of course, the in-between. Part of the team's process is to explore every possibility, whether it is realistic or not.

#2 - Hard to say for sure. Some say he is just building his player up. Possibly to get more value from other teams. To me, it does seem he believes in Hill as a QB at some level. He has pretty bluntly said Hill is the #2 QB this year. I don't think he would hand the organization over to him without some competition though. Even if he did Taysom is not a long term option. He's a 30 year old running QB.

#3 - Not really sure. I'm not great at recalling those types of things.

#4 - I agree somewhat. I think Brady is looking to end his career enjoying football. I don't think he stopped caring about winning a SB but I think getting out of the rigid Patriots atmosphere may have been part of the move.

1) Sean, Mickey and Gail all probably know the truth. Given the source of the rumor, I'd have to say there is legitimacy to it. Just my opinion.
2) As of today, I'd say the Saints' plans are with TH as the starting QB next year. This could change by Sept. 2021
3) I'm sure there are some. Someone here probably knows.
4) Brady doesn't coast. He'll put 100% in. Tampa will win a couple more games than last year and will sell LOTS more tix and sell LOTS more merchandise.

Didn't mean to imply he would not give his all just that he did not move to Tampa thinking he would take them all the way.

#3) A Packers QB threw for 5 or 6 tds against Detroit. Seattle signed him to absurd contract that spring, (absurd at the time). I think he went to lsu, name escapes me.

#3) A Packers QB threw for 5 or 6 tds against Detroit. Seattle signed him to absurd contract that spring, (absurd at the time). I think he went to lsu, name escapes me.
Matt Flynn.

1) You need to ask the oracle. Lawn Guy Dave sees all and knows all.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn before so I guess I qualify as an expert.

#1 - This completely came from the Coach Pete threads. If you believe in him, yes. Pretty much anyone else, no. There is, of course, the in-between. Part of the team's process is to explore every possibility, whether it is realistic or not.

#2 - Hard to say for sure. Some say he is just building his player up. Possibly to get more value from other teams. To me, it does seem he believes in Hill as a QB at some level. He has pretty bluntly said Hill is the #2 QB this year. I don't think he would hand the organization over to him without some competition though. Even if he did Taysom is not a long term option. He's a 30 year old running QB.

#3 - Not really sure. I'm not great at recalling those types of things.

#4 - I agree somewhat. I think Brady is looking to end his career enjoying football. I don't think he stopped caring about winning a SB but I think getting out of the rigid Patriots atmosphere may have been part of the move.

Just to clarify, my laugh react was for the Holiday Inn part. Your answers are all plausible to me.

#1 There was a lot of talk about the Saints actively pursuing Burrows. Was that all real or just a pipe dream. I think I read someone even saying they were considering trading Thomas and Kamara. Does anyone know what the truth was?

#2 I've heard Payton say, a few times, he thinks Taysom will be a starting QB in league but I can't remember him saying he will be a starting QB for the Saints. Is he just being coy? I'm thinking if he signs for one year on the tender and does not sign a longer term extension then neither side thinks he will be the saint future. Is my thinking wrong?

#3 I can't think of any parallels for Teddy's case that match his starter, injury, backup, starter pathway. DId I miss some?

#4 I think Brady is a realist and is coasting toward retirement. Pad a few stats, maybe outlast and eclipse Brees TD record or such, bank a few more dollars (try to catch up to Gisel) and maybe ride a long shot to a title game or really long odds to a final SB. Not saying he won't play hard but I don't think he left thinking this was a real chance to get another ring.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts. Going a bit stir crazy on lock down.

1) Not going there

2) LOL. Hill will have a shot to compete for the job, that's all he's ever been promised, and that's all it is. He is not the "presumptive next starting QB". There's absolutely zero chance they go into next season with Taysom and a couple of journeyman types. It'll be Taysom and either a draft pick, a reclamation project (Mariota type), or a vet (Andy Dalton type). He is going to have to win the job against legitimate competition.

3) There's not a great comparison for a QB, though there are players at other positions with similar arcs. Our very own Drew Brees had a "pretty good" start to his career (much like Teddy did), suffered a severe injury (much like Teddy did), and we all know the rest of the story. The difference being that Drew never had to go take a backup role anywhere (though interest was reported to be limited to us and one other team).

4) I don't think so. For as great as Brady is, he's arrogant to the point of delusion. He thinks he is a medical genius because he tells people drinking lots of water will cure cancer or whatever. He's a bimbo. He wants to prove that he can do it without Belicheck.

3) There's not a great comparison for a QB, though there are players at other positions with similar arcs. Our very own Drew Brees had a "pretty good" start to his career (much like Teddy did), suffered a severe injury (much like Teddy did), and we all know the rest of the story. The difference being that Drew never had to go take a backup role anywhere (though interest was reported to be limited to us and one other team).

One that I can think of, though it was benching and not injury that led to the interruption of his career path, was Rich Gannon. He had earned a starting job in Minnesota by 1992, was benched in Week 12 of that year, and then bounced around the league as a backup before ending up with Jon Gruden in Oakland in 1999 and having an elite 5 year stretch that included four Pro Bowls, an MVP, and a Super Bowl appearance.

1) Not going there

2) LOL. Hill will have a shot to compete for the job, that's all he's ever been promised, and that's all it is. He is not the "presumptive next starting QB". There's absolutely zero chance they go into next season with Taysom and a couple of journeyman types. It'll be Taysom and either a draft pick, a reclamation project (Mariota type), or a vet (Andy Dalton type). He is going to have to win the job against legitimate competition.

4) I don't think so. For as great as Brady is, he's arrogant to the point of delusion. He thinks he is a medical genius because he tells people drinking lots of water will cure cancer or whatever. He's a bimbo. He wants to prove that he can do it without Belicheck.

That Brees comparison is actually pretty good. Basically, if it wasn't for us Brees may have had the exact path of Bridgewater. Several years out of a starting job before he got another shot. We'll see if Bridgewater can turn things around like Brees though. I think he'll be okay but not an easy top 10 QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom