Some stats to ponder after 11 weeks (- MNF game yet to be played)... (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
Saints Offense (vs. entire NFL)
-------------------
#1 averaging 402.5 yards per game.
#3 in total number of plays with 729 (Dallas 738)
#1 in Yards Per Play with 6.1 (tied with Eagles)
#4 in 3rd down efficiency with 45.5% (Indy 56.7%)
#9 in Time of Possession 30:51 (Dallas 33:00)
#6 in Points Per Game 25.1 (San Diego 32.1)
#29 in Turnover Differential -9 (Baltimore +15)

Saints Defense (vs. entire NFL)
-------------------
#17 giving up 323.5 yards per game (Chicago 261.1)
#12 in total number of plays with 667 (Seattle 628 with a game to play; Dallas 635)
#19 in Yards Per Play with 5.3 (Chicago, Miami 4.4)
#18 in 3rd down efficiency 38.6% (Carolina 28.0%)
#9 in Time of Possession (inverse from offensive stat above)
#22 in Points Per Game 21.9 (Chicago 12.5)

Clearly we're a Top 5 offense and a middle-to-late middle defense based on the statistics. Some have said defense wins championships, and that is often true (even if a boring cliche'). But our offense is going to be what fuels any drive we have toward the championship. Drew Brees said on the radio this morning that they've broken up this part of the year into a 6 game season where we're 1-0.

TPS

Good numbers, TPS. Not surprisingly, the one that defines our 4 losses is the 29th ranking in Turnover ratio.

I agree: Defense win championships, and we're definitely not there yet.

However, when this O is firing on all cylindars (without turnovers), and our D is playing sound football, along with good special teams (adding Fredie Mac will only help that)... I believe - as has been demonstrated this year - we can hang with anybody.

In this scenario, the game's outcome would probably turn on just a couple of plays... Do what we did yesterday, and the rest of the season will be very enjoyable.

Thanks for the stats TPS. Also like I mentioned in another post, the Saints are 4-0 when not turning the ball over this year.

In the "Fred Thomas?" thread I focused on pass defense, which IMO is playing well enough to keep us the in "slightly above average overall" defense despite the overall numbers. When we really focus on stopping the run, we've been pretty successful, and our pass defense has allowed us to get off the field on third down pretty regularly; I suspect i's why we're so high in "number of offensive plays."

Great stats. It is simple, we don't turn it over, we win.
Go Saints Go.

I thought the defense played extremely well yesterday. I expected them to be gassed towards the end of the game after chasing Vick around all game, especially when the offense went three and out a few times in a row in the third quarter. Pretty sure the Falcons won time of possession.

They stepped up and got it done. The pass rush was fantastic and the run D was great (except on broken plays vs. Vick).

And Brees... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

>>However, when this O is firing on all cylindars (without turnovers), and our D is playing sound football, along with good special teams (adding Fredie Mac will only help that)... I believe - as has been demonstrated this year - we can hang with anybody.

Brees, Horn and others have said that the mentality of the 2006 offense is that they can move the ball on anyone. That has already been demonstrated against Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Tampa. But as a couple of you guys and everyone on the team I've heard interviewed about it has said, it's about not giving up the ball and capitalizing on opportunities we create for ourselves. Our redzone offense and defense have been playing subpar most of the year (did well yesterday). The redzone O & D and hanging onto the ball are some things that we can (and hopefully will) fix during the remainder of the regular season. If so, good things will happen. Should we remain as the #2 seed, I don't see anyone coming into the Dome and beating us in the divisional playoffs (Seattle poses a difficult matchup, but we can beat them at home).

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom