Some things I think about the Carolina loss. (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That was a tough loss, we got whipped on to next week. Still there’s some good to take with the bad as we move into week 3.

I think it’s early

I think this Carolina team is designed to beat the Saints

I think Carolina was very prepared this game. Almost like it was their “big game”

I think Payton Turner will be a lively one

I think Jameis pressed and I think it correlates w/ how the team was pressed through the week after losing a freight truck of coaches due to covid.

I think Paulson got picked on but picked himself up after each one. He’s sturdy mentally, it’ll do him well

I think the Panthers did a wonderful job at stymieing Kamara and putting the game in Winstons hands.

I think Payton helped the Panthers with a passive approach. Doesn’t seem like he’s taken the Training wheels of Winston yet.

I think Christian McCaffrey is the only RB who can make Demario Davis look his age. Reminded me of Kamara vs Zach Cunningham in their college matchup. Zach was a step above other players but Kamara was on another level. Only guy to make Cunningham whiff at nearly every tackle attempt. He was literally inches better than him. McCaffrey seemed to consistently be just out of the grasp of Davis.

I think the Penalties deserve to be talked about.

I think the refs called a very tough game.

I think Jaycee horn acquitted himself well and looked like the #8 pick…similarly Adebo looked just a smidge below. Bug Caveat tho…Adebo was facing much better talent at WR.

I think the offensive line didn’t look good and that’s a game they’d like to have back. A mix of meh play and Carolina scheming very nice looks to get free rushers.

I think someone has got to develop opposite Jordan quickly. He’s getting triple teamed a good but thru 3 games including final pre-season game they played.

I think the TE position didn’t have a single catch

I think Alvin Kamara being used very little as a receiver is as telling as how good his passblocking is now when he has to stay in.

they need to have Stills out there next week.
if Trautman wasnt doing anything offensively he shoulda stayed in to help block bc it was 2 seconds and Winston was running for his life.
they should have used more screens.
they shoulda blitzed more, when darnold was harassed he was looking shaky

It looked like one of the linemen was calling out protections or the Mic. I honestly don't remember a but whipping like this.

they need to have Stills out there next week.
if Trautman wasnt doing anything offensively he shoulda stayed in to help block bc it was 2 seconds and Winston was running for his life.
they should have used more screens.
they shoulda blitzed more, when darnold was harassed he was looking shaky
If we don't get better protection it doesn't matter who's catching.

Can't say it enough. Losing 6 offensive coaches on Wed of game week was a much bigger hurdle than most believed.
Ffwd to game, and just can't make adjustments. So I think there was an element of let's see what we can do and play by ear.
And when you have to start rotational players on d, remember, they are rotational for a reason.
We gave them THREE drive sustaining roughing calls. (2 were quite questionable).

We tried zone to mask our defensive injuries, and Panthers offense was ready for it. No pressure from front 4 gave Darnold simply too much time and comfort in pocket. Got him rattled in 3rd but just couldn't flip that to points from offensive woes.

It was swimming against current all day. Tough one.

- I think for as great of a game that Carolina called, it wasn't wise to continue to run Cmc late in the game when it was well in hand. They got away with it.
- I don't think I've ever seen an officiating crew call so many personal fouls. Some legit, others hmmmm.
- I'm still confused at Kamara not getting a little of the corner to pick up the first down. It's like the sideline caught him by surprise.
- I still don't know what we have in the way of a team overall. The lack of "real" receivers showed we can't scheme around everything.
- Offensive line got manhandled. Is Carolina's defense that good?
- Darnold was well protected and very sharp.
- Dan Arnold was booed out of here and he's been solid with other teams.

Last edited:
I think all the bull crap we have been dealing with caught up to our team. It’s one thing to be on a road game but what our guys are dealing with is so much more, it’s a very bad distraction. If I was CSP I would have that plane make a detour straight to Kenner and bus the players out the the heavy hit areas of the hurricane. Show them what true mental tuff ness is. Give them a little more to play for. I know I’m going through storm burnout myself but theirs in on a different level because they are forced to stay away..

this will be a different team when we face them again.

I agree with virtually all of what ELIASJWILLIAMS said.

I would add some credit to Matt Rhule. I was worried when Carolina hired him, that if they gave him time, he would gradually become a good NFL coach.

At both Temple and Baylor, he stepped into difficult situations and, with time, showed an ability to learn and improve. His game plan today seemed tailor made to take advantage of a depleted defensive Saints secondary, and a backup center having to make tricky line calls.

I thought that the Defense was the only bright spot in the game. They kept us in it until they got gassed (a lot due to missing depth). I mean missing your starting CB, Safety, LB & DE isn't exactly ideal. No team is that deep.
A bit worried about offensive execution. Granted MT is a big hole but we are still missing any weapons outside of him and AK. What is going to be the answer if teams continue to key on AK? Callaway two catches to two weeks doesn't sing of great strides. I think WR's only made 7 grabs for a whopping 80 yds.

That was a tough loss, we got whipped on to next week. Still there’s some good to take with the bad as we move into week 3.

I think it’s early

I think this Carolina team is designed to beat the Saints

I think Carolina was very prepared this game. Almost like it was their “big game”

I think Payton Turner will be a lively one

I think Jameis pressed and I think it correlates w/ how the team was pressed through the week after losing a freight truck of coaches due to covid.

I think Paulson got picked on but picked himself up after each one. He’s sturdy mentally, it’ll do him well

I think the Panthers did a wonderful job at stymieing Kamara and putting the game in Winstons hands.

I think Payton helped the Panthers with a passive approach. Doesn’t seem like he’s taken the Training wheels of Winston yet.

I think Christian McCaffrey is the only RB who can make Demario Davis look his age. Reminded me of Kamara vs Zach Cunningham in their college matchup. Zach was a step above other players but Kamara was on another level. Only guy to make Cunningham whiff at nearly every tackle attempt. He was literally inches better than him. McCaffrey seemed to consistently be just out of the grasp of Davis.

I think the Penalties deserve to be talked about.

I think the refs called a very tough game.

I think Jaycee horn acquitted himself well and looked like the #8 pick…similarly Adebo looked just a smidge below. Bug Caveat tho…Adebo was facing much better talent at WR.

I think the offensive line didn’t look good and that’s a game they’d like to have back. A mix of meh play and Carolina scheming very nice looks to get free rushers.

I think someone has got to develop opposite Jordan quickly. He’s getting triple teamed a good but thru 3 games including final pre-season game they played.

I think the TE position didn’t have a single catch

I think Alvin Kamara being used very little as a receiver is as telling as how good his passblocking is now when he has to stay in.
Juwan Johnson had a single catch. I generally agree with what you say here, though.

I also think we desperately need another LB to step up. The reason we traded for Kwon last year is we couldn't trust any LB other than Demario. But Kwon's a huge injury risk so you can't expect him to be healthy all season. We really, really need either Baun or Elliss to figure it out or for Werner to be the real deal when he finally gets healthy and is promoted to the active roster.

In a strange way… a loss like this could wake the guys up.

We just don’t know the identity of this team yet. It’s going to take some weeks. I don’t like to really judge teams or the rankings until a month or so has been played
yea they were prob eating some cheese after last week. even Sean was heard in the background when Winston was talking to some one saying its just one game get off the phone

yea they were prob eating some cheese after last week. even Sean was heard in the background when Winston was talking to some one saying its just one game get off the phone

That’s what I like about Sean, he likes to make sure and reality check the guys. I figured he might’ve tried this past week… likely he talked to them at the least.

NOW they’ll get it

I think all the bull crap we have been dealing with caught up to our team. It’s one thing to be on a road game but what our guys are dealing with is so much more, it’s a very bad distraction. If I was CSP I would have that plane make a detour straight to Kenner and bus the players out the the heavy hit areas of the hurricane. Show them what true mental tuff ness is. Give them a little more to play for. I know I’m going through storm burnout myself but theirs in on a different level because they are forced to stay away..

this will be a different team when we face them again.
I agree with that last line. Plus, I think they'll fizzle out. Carolina is not a team I look at think "oh my God, they're so stacked!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom