Some things I think about the Carolina loss. (1 Viewer)

the medical room between the two teams were complete opposite also.
it was a bit of a prefect storm.

the pens killed so much momentum in the first few drives as well as some really poor blocking and ineffective runs.

im still feeling pretty good about the defence, despite a shaky start i thought they did ok given how much time they spent on the field and all the outs they had. Really important we get a few of these guys back asap tho.

Good post Elias.

Besides your clever observations I would add that missing coaches mattered. The game plan was very vanilla, but I don’t think it is because of Winston. No screens, no adjustments to the pressure, and a basic usage of Kamara. Coaching matters.

We basically played with no receivers or tight ends involved. Carolina played great defense, but we made it easy on them.

Finally, about Jamie’s. I don’t put the lost on him, but today, he is going on an average of one turnover a game. That will not go well with Coach Payton.

And, in all honesty after demolishing Green Bay I don’t think it was such a bad thing to get punched in the mouth. They came out. All proud of themselves. Cocky, confident. When they all play well this is a good team. But with the injuries, really poor TE play and WRs that well aren’t great, and haven’t stepped up you get this mess.

jamies throwing for less than 200 yards is shocking to me. Even going back to high school i cant recall him throwing for so few yards ever. If josh gordon is a free agent, the saints would do well to sign him right now

this offense is built for a guy like taysom, not winston

none of these guys can get seperation at all

Brees last year had jared cook, emmuanel sanders and mike thomas.

Infoman was correct, i doubt brees would be given this little to work with on offense

jamies throwing for less than 200 yards is shocking to me. Even going back to high school i cant recall him throwing for so few yards ever. If josh gordon is a free agent, the saints would do well to sign him right now

this offense is built for a guy like taysom, not winston

none of these guys can get seperation at all

Brees last year had jared cook, emmuanel sanders and mike thomas.

Infoman was correct, i doubt brees would be given this little to work with on offense
Taysom would’ve been sacked 10 times today

I think Payton Turner will be a lively one

I think someone has got to develop opposite Jordan quickly. He’s getting triple teamed a good but thru 3 games including final pre-season game they played.
Agree with most of what you said.

Depending on Davenport’s health, we may need to start a 3 man rotation with him, Turner and Jordan.

Turner looked really good to me. He got a sack, caused problems for their line, and made play at the line or in the backfield.

The WR corps is currently the worst in the entire NFL.

Callaway looks like an UDFA and there really isn’t anybody else that can get open. Right now, the best WR on the active roster is Deonte Harris, and he’s just too small to be a go-to WR. It’s a big problem.

The Panthers focused on taking away AK41 and then blitzed Winston, essentially saying, “You don’t have the WRs to burn us on these blitzes” and they were right.

The problem is… nothing is going to get better until CGM and TQS get back. Michael Thomas won’t be back until week 7 at the earliest, and we have no idea if TQS is even coming back.

Look at the current WR corps and tell me that it’s not the worst group in the entire league. The only other team with an equally as weak WR corps is the Lions, but they at least have Tyrell Williams and Amon-Ra St. Brown (either of who would be the best WR on the Saints RIGHT NOW… plus they have TJ Hockenson, who is a legit #1 TE and a viable and consistent receiving threat.

I can’t imagine things will look much different in New England next Sunday. BB will have that defense ready, and he just saw a glowing example of how to stifle this offense.

The only hope is that Kenny Stills (a street FA just a week ago) can get up to speed and give the Saints at least a semblance of a real WR.

Hopefully Lattimore and CJGJ can get back on the field next week… and Pete Werner can also get healthy enough to see action, because I’d bet $$ he’s a better coverage LB than Baun.

The WR corps is currently the worst in the entire NFL.

Callaway looks like an UDFA and there really isn’t anybody else that can get open. Right now, the best WR on the active roster is Deonte Harris, and he’s just too small to be a go-to WR. It’s a big problem.

The Panthers focused on taking away AK41 and then blitzed Winston, essentially saying, “You don’t have the WRs to burn us on these blitzes” and they were right.

The problem is… nothing is going to get better until CGM and TQS get back. Michael Thomas won’t be back until week 7 at the earliest, and we have no idea if TQS is even coming back.

Look at the current WR corps and tell me that it’s not the worst group in the entire league. The only other team with an equally as weak WR corps is the Lions, but they at least have Tyrell Williams and Amon-Ra St. Brown (either of who would be the best WR on the Saints RIGHT NOW… plus they have TJ Hockenson, who is a legit #1 TE and a viable and consistent receiving threat.

I can’t imagine things will look much different in New England next Sunday. BB will have that defense ready, and he just saw a glowing example of how to stifle this offense.

The only hope is that Kenny Stills (a street FA just a week ago) can get up to speed and give the Saints at least a semblance of a real WR.

Hopefully Lattimore and CJGJ can get back on the field next week… and Pete Werner can also get healthy enough to see action, because I’d bet $$ he’s a better coverage LB than Baun.
In short, we have several WRs that can be good complimentary receivers. We just don’t have anyone for them to compliment. I still think Callaway is legit, he’s just not WR1 capable (yet).

In a strange way… a loss like this could wake the guys up.

We just don’t know the identity of this team yet. It’s going to take some weeks. I don’t like to really judge teams or the rankings until a month or so has been played
These are professional football players who are paid well to execute their assignments every time they tee it up for real each week.
This is less about needing to 'wake up' than it is about needing to 'heal up' and get their best players back on the field. This week the Covid issue was also a setback if for no other reason than our team having a lack of adjustments from the missing coaches during the game.

The Saints were never a threat to make it a game yesterday. And after reviewing our dreadful performance it's very reasonable to expect much the same kind of performance in the weeks ahead until we can get some of our starters back from our IR list... especially now that the Panthers have revealed the blueprint for shutting down our offense. What we saw in Charlotte was not a case of sleep-walking through the game. Instead it was a ragtag team filled with backup players that was demonstrating what they are really capable of doing at this stage of their development. Mounting injuries is an intangible that happens to NFL teams all the time. We were just bitten extra hard after Week 1. It happens.

Can our backups get better with playing time? Sure. But by the time they start improving at their positions it will be time to bring back our real starters. My guess is that we'll be 2-4 going into our next divisional game versus the Buccaneers. And that is only because the Giants are a long way from figuring it out again this year. I guess it's a good thing that the season is longer this year to give us a chance to get our act together. But if we are being honest with ourselves, the identity of our team is going to have to change dramatically from what we saw if we are going to be successful this year. As it stands right now there are a lot more reasons to place the Saints in the Pretenders list than with the real Contenders.

Flame away, but this is our current status for 2021. 😥

Last edited:
These are professional football players paid well to execute their assignments every time they tee it up for real each week.
This is less about needing to 'wake up' than it is about needing to 'heal up' and get their best players back on the field. This week the Covid issue was also a setback if for no other reason than there being a lack of adjustments from the missing coaches during the game.

The Saints were never a threat to make it a game yesterday. And after reviewing our dreadful performance it's very reasonable to expect much the same kind of performance in the weeks ahead until we can get some of our starters back from our IR list... especially now that the Panthers have revealed the blueprint for shutting down our offense. What we saw in Charlotte was not a case of sleep-walking through the game. Instead it was a ragtag team filled with backup players that was demonstrating what they are really capable of doing at this stage of their development. Mounting injuries is an intangible that happens to NFL teams all the time. We were just bitten extra hard after Week 1. It happens.

Can our backups get better with playing time? Sure. But by the time they start improving at their positions it will be time to bring back our real starters. My guess is that we'll be 2-4 going into our next divisional game versus the Buccaneers. And that is only because the Giants are a long way from figuring it out again this year. I guess it's a good thing that the season is longer this year to give us a chance to get our act together. But if we are being honest with ourselves, the identity of our team is going to have to change dramatically if we are going to be successful this year. As it stands right now there are a lot more reasons to place the Saints in the Pretenders list than with the real Contenders.

Flame away, but this is our current status for 2021. 😥
I think all the elements we put in place to ease the QB transition failed: stout Oline, strong running game, and potential top 10 defense (particularly in the first half). This left us totally exposed and Jameis failed to make the right decisions that may have got us a field goal or something to work with especially before the half.

- I think for as great of a game that Carolina called, it wasn't wise to continue to run Cmc late in the game when it was well in hand. They got away with it.
- I don't think I've ever seen an officiating crew call so many personal fouls. Some legit, others hmmmm.
- I'm still confused at Kamara not getting a little of the corner to pick up the first down. It's like the sideline caught him by surprise.
- I still don't know what we have in the way of a team overall. The lack of "real" receivers showed we can't scheme around everything.
- Offensive line got manhandled. Is Carolina's defense that good?
- Darnold was well protected and very sharp.
- Dan Arnold was booed out of here and he's been solid with other teams.
I summed it up as easily as I can,...... no pressure, no protection

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom