Some thoughts on our Linebackers (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
With the switch to the 3-4 there will be some changes.

First off three guys who shouldn't be here for TC

Jonathan Casillas He is a 4-3 WILL but he doesn't have the size or strength for what is required in the 3-4 I think he ends up not being re-signed.

Will Herring is strictly a coverage linebacker he doesn't have the strength to fight off blocks as either a pass rusher or defending the run which is what he would have to do.

Ramon Humber only made the roster the past couple of years because we had no one better.

WILL I see Martez Wilson being here as his strength and speed make a great combination for him. The biggest question mark I have is his instincts aren't exactly great so it will take him a little time to adjust.

Right now we don't have anyone else here so someone will be brought in most likely through free agency. The player who makes the most sense is Victor Butler he is from the 3-4 and even better has experience under Ryan.

Butler can come in on 1st down and 2nd and 3rd short situations allowing Wilson to come in on passing downs to utilize his speed in rushing the QB. David Hawthorne can even fill in here depending on the situation from time to time.

MIKE We seem to be set here at least for the time being with Jon Vilma and David Hawthorne and occasionally Lofton sliding over to fill in when needed. Vilma should come back strong after what he went through last season. As long as these two stay healthy this is a position to feel good about.

TED This is basically the new position with the switch and should be manned by Lofton as the starter here, as far the depth this could actually give Shanle new life here as the TED requirements fit his skill set. The TED doesn't really require speed but it does require strength and smarts. As the TED's responsibility is the run game and keeping blockers off the MIKE. Chris Chamberlain can also fit here so it will interesting to see what happens here. Ryan could opt to go with Shanle and Chamberlain here or just one of them.

SAM Junior Galette is the guy to pencil in here as the starter for now but someone will be brought in for depth/starter. Galette should thrive as Ryan has always gotten the most out of his linebackers and being a pure pass rusher will allow Junior to do what he does best and that is get after the passer. Someone will need to be brought in here for extra depth Anthony Spencer isn't out of the possibility as Loomis can work him a back loaded contract. Otherwise this could also be addressed in the draft with Jarvis, Jones and Dion Jordan in the first round or Brandon Jenkins in the third round. Even if Spencer is brought in I could see them drafting Jenkins in the 3rd on top of it.

Imagine our depth chart looking this

WILL Butler, Wilson
MIKE Vilma, Hawthorne
TED Lofton, (Shanle or Chamberlain)
SAM Spencer, Galette, Jenkins

In straight up passing situations you will probably see Spencer and Galette on the field together.

I can't wait to see what Ryan can get out of these guys this year.

If Vilma is viable then there is no reason for me to believe that Casillas would be on his way out. He is from the same athletic mold as Vilma except he is more aggressive in the run game. salary would be the only consideration. If we could get him as a cheap Vilma backup I'd be fine with that.

If Vilma is viable then there is no reason for me to believe that Casillas would be on his way out. He is from the same athletic mold as Vilma except he is more aggressive in the run game. salary would be the only consideration. If we could get him as a cheap Vilma backup I'd be fine with that.

Vilma can get away with being undersized as a MIKE it's a lot different playing OLB in the 3-4 than the 4-3 and Casillas doesn't have the instincts or football IQ to play the MIKE.

I try never to knock anyone who puts on the black and gold, but when I think linebackers I remember those heady days when Jack Del Rio was the third best inside backer in the NFL and still couldn't get a starting role in Jim Mora's D!

Dear The Shanle,

I just can't quit you!

I really hope he is finally gone, but you are correct that his extremely limited remaining skill set is suited for TED duty...still there will have to be younger options to go with either 4/5/6 rounders from the draft or cheap undrafted FA's, imo-

Dear The Shanle,

I just can't quit you!

I really hope he is finally gone, but you are correct that his extremely limited remaining skill set is suited for TED duty...still there will have to be younger options to go with either 4/5/6 rounders from the draft or cheap undrafted FA's, imo-

heck yeah, Shanle's strength is getting swallowed up by blockers so he'd be perfect.

heck yeah, Shanle's strength is getting swallowed up by blockers so he'd be perfect.

Shanle's skill set would be perfect sitting on the bench, on a couch, or on another team. That dude has had unlimited amount of lives and it's time to waive at him walking out of the door.

The Bum Phillips 3-4

someone posted this for the 46 when Ryan was hired, but it looks more like we'll be running this defense opposed to that.

Although it is still only February and who knows what is going to happen in the draft and FA

ETA: The more I read about Ryan, the more I like.

http://codeandfootball.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/the-defensive-fronts-of-rob-ryan/

First 10 defensive fronts of last season.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=242698

And lots of good stuff on this page. Skip the Cover 2 Monty Kiffin stuff at the top and go to article #2, unless you give a **** about what the Cowgirls are doing this year.

Rob Ryan Stuff Code and Football

U have the outside linebackers flipped, tez will be playing Sam and gallette playing weakside rush backer, lofton will be the mike and hawthorne the Ted

At league minimum, Shane may not be a bad inside backup in the 3-4.

Shanle's skill set would be perfect sitting on the bench, on a couch, or on another team. That dude has had unlimited amount of lives and it's time to waive at him walking out of the door.

No way! With Ryan's 3-4 Shanle will thrive. We could even bring back Vaughn Johnson! The possibilities are endless with this scheme.

No way! With Ryan's 3-4 Shanle will thrive. We could even bring back Vaughn Johnson! The possibilities are endless with this scheme.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Vaughn Johnson today would be the best LB on this team....to say nothing of Mills, Jackson, and Swilling...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom