Some tidbits from today's conference call with Payton... (1 Viewer)

Probably talking about how long they took to decide where to spot it and whether to review it. Since they wouldn't decide one way or the other and the clock continued to run off, Sean had to burn a timeout. He wanted it taken back but they wouldn't give it to us.

I understand Refs making questionable calls, but these guys have to have a meeting at the 50 every other play. It's getting to be beyond ridiculous.

they should have reset the play clock then if that was the case. they have to have time to setup on their given down and distance...

Probably talking about how long they took to decide where to spot it and whether to review it. Since they wouldn't decide one way or the other and the clock continued to run off, Sean had to burn a timeout. He wanted it taken back but they wouldn't give it to us.

I understand Refs making questionable calls, but these guys have to have a meeting at the 50 every other play. It's getting to be beyond ridiculous.

That's one thing I hate. The refs can be talking and hold onto the ball, and the clock will continues to run forcing teams to use TO'S

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

why, I thought they marked it in favor of the saints??

They did. The issue was that they did not restart the play clock, which should have happened, so it really shortened our time to run a play. Payton had to call a T.O. It probably had a big part in the outcome of the game. If we still had that T.O. at the end of the game...

I'm fine with Cadet, but let's play Spiller instead of the useless Murphy

That couldn't be true. At one point in the game we ran the exact same swing route to Cadet three times in one three down series!!! He dropped it twice then connected for 5 yds I think. I don't know maybe my eyes are what they once were but I thought Spiller had a very good preseason. He was killing it on the edges.:idunno:

Those two "drops" were pretty off target by Drew, unfortunately. And if he'd caught the second one he'd have been dropped himself immediately for about a three yard loss.

Cadet is a better than average pass catching option out of the backfield. I don't think spiller gets deactivated because of it but the whole cadet is lousy argument is total overreaction. Spiller didn't see much action even before cadet played(FAIRLY WELL) in the last three games last year. why is this so shocking this season.

That's probably why the move was made. Spiller in the flat attracts defensive attention. Cadet does not. Even when you throw it to him three times. Each time they went to him, he was open, and eventually even pulled in a touchdown.

Spiller is the more talented back, but Cadet apparently lends himself better to subterfuge.

Is this sarcastic or are you being serious? Put in a less talented player in the hopes that the defense will overlook him when he's in the game? That sounds silly! Why not go with the superior player and if the defense reacts then go somewhere else? There's only so many guys out there at any given time that could really stay with Spiller.

Those two "drops" were pretty off target by Drew, unfortunately. And if he'd caught the second one he'd have been dropped himself immediately for about a three yard loss.

Yeah that first one hit him in a bad spot (right in both hands) and Cadet couldn't bring in. The announcer said that there was room if he would've caught it too. You've got to be better Drew! Stick it in his face mask like that scene from "Necessary Roughness"

Spiller doesn't run routes as crisp and timely as Cadet. He doesn't make the adjustments Cadet does. We don't like it but the writing is on the wall. /end

So much uproar over offensive players who played or didn't play... and the offense was stellar... nice!

The offense was stellar, but it could've been even better with Spiller. Spiller is a much bigger threat, so we don't know how much better we could've been with him. Also, he would be a great spark in the return game. I don't think there was any logical reason to deactivate him, no matter how Payton or anyone else wants to spin it.

With all the moves last week, maybe he was asked to redo his contract and said no.

Spiller doesn't run routes as crisp and timely as Cadet. He doesn't make the adjustments Cadet does. We don't like it but the writing is on the wall. /end

If that's true, then how did Spiller manage 43 receptions and 459 receiving yards for Buffalo in 2012? The most Cadet has ever had is 38 receptions for 296 yards, so while he had nearly as many receptions, he had almost half the receiving yards. Spiller was dynamic in the preseason against first teamers, so he seems to be physically back to form, and I think he would be worth a few more points than Cadet. We lost by 1 point, and may have won if we could've had shorter FG attempts on those last 2 long ones. Between Spiller's returns and elusiveness, he might've made that difference.

If that's true, then how did Spiller manage 43 receptions and 459 receiving yards for Buffalo in 2012? The most Cadet has ever had is 38 receptions for 296 yards, so while he had nearly as many receptions, he had almost half the receiving yards. Spiller was dynamic in the preseason against first teamers, so he seems to be physically back to form, and I think he would be worth a few more points than Cadet. We lost by 1 point, and may have won if we could've had shorter FG attempts on those last 2 long ones. Between Spiller's returns and elusiveness, he might've made that difference.

I think the only thing that is clear is that SP is not telling us the full story about Spiller. Not dressing-up a healthy Spiller says something far bigger is going on behind the scenes. I can speculate, team moral, lack of effort or pending trade, but I have no idea and SP is keeping a lid on it.

Agreed.

Cut Murphy. If you want to keep both Cadet and Spiller active, whatever.

But Spiller should be returning kicks and he should play on offense.
Spiller
Cadet
Murphy
Lasco
Lewis
Byrd
Cooks

How many guys do we need that can do returns? Ok, so I don't want Cooks or Byrd doing return duty, but the other 5 have the elusiveness factor to some degree. I always questioned why Spiller. We had just re-signed Ingram when we picked him up. Overkill.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom