Somebody please go see the Hornets (1 Viewer)

This issue is the people....no sense of civic pride, could careless that the NBA is here and don't see it as a boost to the city, ignorance of basketball and a fixation on football, and basically ignorant of how significant having the NBA is in any city. Citizens of this area have no pride in their city, don't really care that they live in New Orleans and have no sense of duty to the city, and also don't care about the huge negative perception of New Orleans that is forthcoming from the sports world by the backwardness of the individuals that live here. It's that simple. People here are extremely close-minded to sports and are not sports fans...they only like football. That does not make them a sports fan, it makes them a football fan. It's very sad and embarrassing, but, you can't change the people that live here...they don't care about New Orleans, the NBA, and really don't care about moving the city forward by supporitng something that the national scene views as very positive. Hopefully we won't lose the team. It would hurt me, but, I can't change the pathetic attitudes of the people that live in my city. I certainly side with the 11,000 to 14,000 that believe in the NBA, support the Hornets, and are open-minded enough to realize that sports goes beyond football.

This issue is the people....no sense of civic pride, could careless that the NBA is here and don't see it as a boost to the city, ignorance of basketball and a fixation on football, and basically ignorant of how significant having the NBA is in any city. Citizens of this area have no pride in their city, don't really care that they live in New Orleans and have no sense of duty to the city, and also don't care about the huge negative perception of New Orleans that is forthcoming from the sports world by the backwardness of the individuals that live here. It's that simple. People here are extremely close-minded to sports and are not sports fans...they only like football. That does not make them a sports fan, it makes them a football fan. It's very sad and embarrassing, but, you can't change the people that live here...they don't care about New Orleans, the NBA, and really don't care about moving the city forward by supporitng something that the national scene views as very positive. Hopefully we won't lose the team. It would hurt me, but, I can't change the pathetic attitudes of the people that live in my city. I certainly side with the 11,000 to 14,000 that believe in the NBA, support the Hornets, and are open-minded enough to realize that sports goes beyond football.

alon, you might remember me from the early days of hornetsreport...

it has nothing to do with civic pride. many people here have TONS of that, including me.

the saints are the symbol of civic pride in this city, and the hornets could be up there if they were to make a significant impression .
what really happened is that they stayed in OKC for an unneeded year and have made it clear to everyone that they aren't really planning on staying here that long ( and yes, i have read the new lease).

they are not an institution like the saints and for them to "dis" the city so early in their time here was just bad business. they should have stuck it out here last year and showed the city that they care about us. if they do anything less than get to the conference championship or the finals they will probably not generate any significant, long-lasting interest.

btw, agree with the original poster. went to the game tonight and they rocked the house. 96-85 HORNETS over Trailblazers.

Last edited:
alon, you might remember me from the early days of hornetsreport...

it has nothing to do with civic pride. many people here have TONS of that, including me.

the saints are the symbol of civic pride in this city, and the hornets could be up there if they were to make a significant impression .
what really happened is that they stayed in OKC for an unneeded year and have made it clear to everyone that they aren't really planning on staying here that long ( and yes, i have read the new lease).

they are not an institution like the saints and for them to "dis" the city so early in their time here was just bad business. they should have stuck it out here last year and showed the city that they care about us. if they do anything less than get to the conference championship or the finals they will probably not generate any significant, long-lasting interest.

btw, agree with the original poster. went to the game tonight and they rocked the house. 96-85 HORNETS over Trailblazers.

Maybe you don't realize that the State of Louisiana requested that the Hornets stay away for another year and that the Hornets didn't make the request. The State only wanted to introduce one team per year to the City as the population filtered back in to the area.
And I stick with everything I say in the original post. I don't believe people have civic pride or civic duty, at all. If they had an ounce of it they would be attending Hornets games and saving our area from the embarrassment and humiliation that is underway. You can scratch all of the good things that the Saints brought to our area last year when they returned. The Hornets fiasco is about to leave the real impression. Watch. People here don't care....AT ALL.

Wow, that's a mouthful. Perhaps you should consider the very real possibility that some of us just don't like Basketball. I, for one, think it is a stupid waste of time and would rather watch amateur curling or PBS specials on trees.

But you can call it civic pride if you like.

Maybe you don't realize that the State of Louisiana requested that the Hornets stay away for another year and that the Hornets didn't make the request. The State only wanted to introduce one team per year to the City as the population filtered back in to the area.
And I stick with everything I say in the original post. I don't believe people have civic pride or civic duty, at all. If they had an ounce of it they would be attending Hornets games and saving our area from the embarrassment and humiliation that is underway. You can scratch all of the good things that the Saints brought to our area last year when they returned. The Hornets fiasco is about to leave the real impression. Watch. People here don't care....AT ALL.

Wow. You backed up that first gem with an even bigger stinker.

Sorry, man. I don't like basketball. Get over yourself and realize that I'm not going to spend $2 to go watch a bunch of men chase a round orange ball. I didn't even like the Jazz when I was a kid so if its my fault that you get all embarassed, fine. It must be Jindal's fault.

Wow. You backed up that first gem with an even bigger stinker.

Sorry, man. I don't like basketball. Get over yourself and realize that I'm not going to spend $2 to go watch a bunch of men chase a round orange ball. I didn't even like the Jazz when I was a kid so if its my fault that you get all embarassed, fine. It must be Jindal's fault.

I guess you don't care that we will lose another multi-million dollar business...
and we have so many of these businesses to lose!!!

No, it will not be Jindal's fault; it will only be the fault of people like you.

:twak::twak::twak:

I just wish SaintsReport could help support the Hornets by keeping a thread in the larger forums, instead of moving it to one no one reads :(

No Civic pride ;)

Ths conversation is interesting but there are a many problems. There are a lot of basketball games and it is very expensive. The seats that are below $30.00 are located in the upper deck. Although the arena is small its difficult to watch from that high. I agree its worth 10 bucks but thats not what the hornets want. The hornets want the lower bowl sold out, Club seats and the all the Suites leased. Personally, I'm very fortunate and make a very good living and I can't justify $ 150.00 for a club seat for 42 games. Lower corners are around 50.00 per game which still makes a $150.00 per night game including parking, sodas and tickets. Lets face it, its expensive. On the other hand, I have 8 club seats for the saints which I'm happy to pay because its THE SAINTS. I also have club seats for Voodoo only because its extremly affordable and a lot of fun. The fact is the NBA is not affordable on a consistent basis to the average public. New Orleans is filled with the average public. Most of us in this city only have so much disposable income and a VAST majority would rather spend our money on saints football. I think if the hornets cut prices and reach out to the middle and working class they would have more people attending and filling the premium seating areas. Believe me I want to go to every game and I know a lot of people who enjoy it but it has to affordable.

Ths conversation is interesting but there are a many problems. There are a lot of basketball games and it is very expensive. The seats that are below $30.00 are located in the upper deck. Although the arena is small its difficult to watch from that high. I agree its worth 10 bucks but thats not what the hornets want. The hornets want the lower bowl sold out, Club seats and the all the Suites leased. Personally, I'm very fortunate and make a very good living and I can't justify $ 150.00 for a club seat for 42 games. Lower corners are around 50.00 per game which still makes a $150.00 per night game including parking, sodas and tickets. Lets face it, its expensive. On the other hand, I have 8 club seats for the saints which I'm happy to pay because its THE SAINTS. I also have club seats for Voodoo only because its extremly affordable and a lot of fun. The fact is the NBA is not affordable on a consistent basis to the average public. New Orleans is filled with the average public. Most of us in this city only have so much disposable income and a VAST majority would rather spend our money on saints football. I think if the hornets cut prices and reach out to the middle and working class they would have more people attending and filling the premium seating areas. Believe me I want to go to every game and I know a lot of people who enjoy it but it has to affordable.

I agree with your points but more than likely most people from NOLA haven't let go of some of the things said by Shinn while he was in OKC.

Unfortunately people from NOLA need to get over this quickly or we will lose the Hornets...

I think if the hornets cut prices and reach out to the middle and working class they would have more people attending and filling the premium seating areas. Believe me I want to go to every game and I know a lot of people who enjoy it but it has to affordable.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/06/AR2007110602099.html

"The average NBA ticket price climbed 3.6 percent, an increase of about two dollars, to $48.83.
The Hornets, in their first season back in New Orleans, charge a league-low $24.58."

Compared to other NBA teams the Hornets are basically giving away tickets.

Slowchild, this is only offset by the $ 7 tickets on the second level. Thats what lowers the average price. Don't be fooled. I'm not saying that the hornets aren't a value and an enjoyable experience. Its just tough for most to afford it over 42 home games.

Slowchild, this is only offset by the $ 7 tickets on the second level. Thats what lowers the average price. Don't be fooled. I'm not saying that the hornets aren't a value and an enjoyable experience. Its just tough for most to afford it over 42 home games.

Other teams offer the nose bleeds seats for similiar prices. I understand that most people can't afford going to all NBA home games (especially the decent seats) I'm just stating it's more of an overall NBA type problem and not just a Hornets thing.

Wow, that's a mouthful. Perhaps you should consider the very real possibility that some of us just don't like Basketball. I, for one, think it is a stupid waste of time and would rather watch amateur curling or PBS specials on trees.

But you can call it civic pride if you like.

Absolutely the classic example of the types of attitudes that prevail in this community. We are talking about an organization that has built, by itself, over 25 homes for Haibitat For Humanity, is involved with schools and children with education, involved with over two dozen community playground rehabilitations, and is a member of the NBA, a national organization, that not only rewarded New Orleans with it's best prize, the NBA All Star game, to help our community with $$$, but, has required EVERY NBA team that visits New Orleans to play the Hornets this year to get involved with some type of Katrina rehabilitation program. And we get a post like this? Someone zones in on the game and not the contributions this organization is making to our community. Perfect, classic example. That is SAD. But, I'm not suprised.

I pay $999 each for my 4 season tickets in the lower end zone. I think that's very affordable for 41 games.

Absolutely the classic example of the types of attitudes that prevail in this community. We are talking about an organization that has built, by itself, over 25 homes for Haibitat For Humanity, is involved with schools and children with education, involved with over two dozen community playground rehabilitations, and is a member of the NBA, a national organization, that not only rewarded New Orleans with it's best prize, the NBA All Star game, to help our community with $$$, but, has required EVERY NBA team that visits New Orleans to play the Hornets this year to get involved with some type of Katrina rehabilitation program. And we get a post like this? Someone zones in on the game and not the contributions this organization is making to our community. Perfect, classic example. That is SAD. But, I'm not suprised.

You're obsessed. To think you just called me SAD because I don't like basketball. Well, let me tell you that I don't like fat girls either. Come to think of it, I really don't like cigarettes. Now, I know there are a lot of fat girls that do wonderful things for the community. And the cigarette companies really, really go all out on their charity work, but I'm not spending my hard earned money to go to a basketball game, hang with fat chicks or smoke cigarettes. No matter what good things the NBA or the Hornets do for NOLA, for me to go to a game, I would have to want to go. I would have to enjoy basketball and I don't. So keep foaming at the mouth about civic pride, but don't expect me to eat your spinach. I don't like it either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom