Someone (believed to the Russians) is trying to hack state voter registration systems (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This kinda stuff is scary. Possible manipulation of American elections by foreign agents seems like a huge vulnerability. And we're supposed to rely on the states to make sure their security is up to snuff? God help us.

And we are going to have a president who either (1) doesn't understand email servers and lost as many as 11 official blackberries in several years, OR (2) is a wholly unprepared social-media junkie who refers to this issue as "the cyber."

I really wish our two choices weren't 70 years old. ******* Baby Boomers.

Washington (CNN)The FBI has discovered attempted hacks of voter registration sites in more than a dozen states according to two law enforcement officials. US investigators believe that Russia is behind those attempted hacks the officials said.

Earlier Wednesday, FBI Director James Comey spoke of additional attempted hacks at a House Judiciary Committee hearing in Washington, but did not specify a number.

"There have been a variety of scanning activities which is a preamble for potential intrusion activities as well as some attempted intrusions at voter database registrations beyond those we knew about in July and August. We are urging the states just to make sure that their deadbolts are thrown and their locks are on and to get the best information they can from DHS just to make sure their systems are secure," he said.
FBI director: Hackers 'poking around' voter systems - CNNPolitics.com

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's not the Russians and it isn't foreign. Hillary is getting slaughtered. If she goes and they lose the WH then you can bet "they" will be running for cover. The cold war needs to end and we need to become an ally. Putin understands that otherwise he would have unloaded a firestorm on Syria when we went "oops" my bad for bombing the people that were holding ISIS at bay. No that was not a FF "accident" in this day and age of tech.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's not the Russians and it isn't foreign. Hillary is getting slaughtered. If she goes and they lose the WH then you can bet "they" will be running for cover. The cold war needs to end and we need to become an ally. Putin understands that otherwise he would have unloaded a firestorm on Syria when we went "oops" my bad for bombing the people that were holding ISIS at bay. No that was not a FF "accident" in this day and age of tech.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There's no way electronic voting is anything but a means to open the polls up to attacks, manipulation, and/or mistrust. Anyone that understood tech has said this since the irrational push to "go electronic" started with the hanging chads in 2000. All the smarter and higher tech states have done things to create an even stronger paper trail if anything (like WA switching to mail in paper ballots only).

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_methods_and_equipment_by_state

Look at which states have no paper trail.

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There's no way electronic voting is anything but a means to open the polls up to attacks, manipulation, and/or mistrust. Anyone that understood tech has said this since the irrational push to "go electronic" started with the hanging chads in 2000. All the smarter and higher tech states have done things to create an even stronger paper trail if anything (like WA switching to mail in paper ballots only).

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_methods_and_equipment_by_state

Look at which states have no paper trail.
Hey I am with you, I have been in IT since 91.
I would rather a valid trail than an electronic footprint that can be altered.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's time to realize that Russia is taking an extremely active role in this election. Well, not only this election, actually, they are waging a propaganda foray into the US, and the right wing is embracing their efforts. They are using social media and the Internet to influence the US in general. This isn't a benign effort, BTW. It is frightening, chuck, but I don't think it's fair to characterize both candidates equally here. One of them is already in the bag for Russia, and I trust the other one to have the intelligence and resolve to take good advice and get up to speed on the issue.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
This is voter registration, not voting.

It's a problem still, but I think having 50 state systems would make it more difficult to attack than one national system. But I am sure we will hear calls to put voter registration in the hands of D.C.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I expect a potential massive phishing attack with this information. Many states collect e-mails. I've already been e-mailed by the democratic party to sign up for mail in ballot or to make sure my information is up to date.

I haven't looked at them hard to make sure they're legit (likely are). But I'd be cautious.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is voter registration, not voting.

It's a problem still, but I think having 50 state systems would make it more difficult to attack than one national system. But I am sure we will hear calls to put voter registration in the hands of D.C.

True but voter rolls can be manipulated and certain demographics could be deleted. They show up to vote and at minimum it's a huge mess.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not to worry. GOP state houses have been all over voter fraud concerns.

Yeah on the personal side voter I'd laws and such. These are hacks on the system. Russia darent walking up to vote without an id. They would erase large numbers of voters to cause huge problems with the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok my side note caused enough drama for now... Let's get back to the potential damage of voter registration hacks.

EDIT: I moved all the discussion to a new thread. Sorry Chuck.

Last edited:

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Yeah on the personal side voter I'd laws and such. These are hacks on the system. Russia darent walking up to vote without an id. They would erase large numbers of voters to cause huge problems with the election.

I was trying to be sarcastic. Republicans spending time and energy on minority voter suppression - sorry, voter ID laws - to solve a non-existent, pre-textual problem.

Instead of looking at a real vulnerability that truly could corrupt election results.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if this is a set up for the eventual Trump loss and complaint that the voting was rigged/tampered with.

Thanks Putin for making my allegation reality - Trump

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was trying to be sarcastic. Republicans spending time and energy on minority voter suppression - sorry, voter ID laws - to solve a non-existent, pre-textual problem.

Instead of looking at a real vulnerability that truly could corrupt election results.

Sorry with this election the bizarre world of normal and outlandish has become so intertwined who knows what to believe anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom