Someone Catholic please enlighten me (1 Viewer)

BullDawg

Gone but will never forgotten. R.I.P. Nate
Reaction score
I would think praying toward Mecca would be considered heretical?

Pope hailed for praying toward Mecca like Muslims

By Philip Pullella and Tom Heneghan
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Pope Benedict wound up a fence-mending visit to Turkey on Friday amid praise from the local press for visiting Istanbul's Blue Mosque and praying toward Mecca "like Muslims".

The Pope, who sparked protests across the Muslim world with a speech two months ago seen as criticizing Islam, looked relaxed and pleased as he entered the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit for a mass at the end of the sensitive four-day trip.

His first visit to a mostly Muslim country, held under tight security for fear of protests by nationalists and Islamists, was highlighted by a series of conciliatory gestures culminating in a stop on Thursday afternoon in Istanbul's famed Blue Mosque.

"The Pope's dreaded visit was concluded with a wonderful surprise," wrote daily Aksam on its front page.

"In Sultan Ahmet Mosque, he turned toward Mecca and prayed like Muslims," popular daily Hurriyet said, using the building's official name.
<<< MORE >>>

I know he's the pope and I'm assuming he's immune to heresy. Still...if this were Joe Catholic Onthestreet what would be the reprocussions of partaking in a religous act that decidedly non-Christian? This, IMHO, is not the same as when John Paul II went to the Wailing Wall.

Since Catholics don't turn in any particular direction to pray, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. What I mean is, there's no signifance to prayer direction like it is with Muslims. Our church faces East, so I guess we are praying in the direction of Mecca too. :)

Since Catholics don't turn in any particular direction to pray, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. What I mean is, there's no signifance to prayer direction like it is with Muslims. Our church faces East, so I guess we are praying in the direction of Mecca too. :)
If the front door is facing east and you're praying toward the altar, you're facing west young man.

I understand there is no significance in the direction a Christian prays, but praying towards Mecca "like a Muslim" does have significant meaning.

I think it's the content of the prayer not the direction. Facing Mecca and saying a Hail Mary or two is the same as facing Chicago and doing it.

If the front door is facing east and you're praying toward the altar, you're facing west young man.

I understand there is no significance in the direction a Christian prays, but praying towards Mecca "like a Muslim" does have significant meaning.

I didn't take that to mean he said a Muslim prayer. They have ritualistic prayers they are required to recite. I don't think he did that.

I think the writer and the interviewee are stretching it a bit to say he prayed "like a Muslim".

>>I know he's the pope and I'm assuming he's immune to heresy. Still...if this were Joe Catholic Onthestreet what would be the reprocussions of partaking in a religous act that decidedly non-Christian? This, IMHO, is not the same as when John Paul II went to the Wailing Wall.

What they didn't tell you is that the Pope was actually letting God know it would only be a few more years before Christiandom defeats the Muhammden invaders and returns that mosque back to cathedral status.

;)

TPS

>>I know he's the pope and I'm assuming he's immune to heresy. Still...if this were Joe Catholic Onthestreet what would be the reprocussions of partaking in a religous act that decidedly non-Christian? This, IMHO, is not the same as when John Paul II went to the Wailing Wall.

What they didn't tell you is that the Pope was actually letting God know it would only be a few more years before Christiandom defeats the Muhammden invaders and returns that mosque back to cathedral status.

;)

TPS
LOL. You may be onto something.

The congregation faces the altar, which means they are facing East.

Does "like a Muslim" mean that he kneeled on a prayer rug and bowed in prayer towards Mecca "like a Muslim"? The article doesn't seem to go into specifics. Did he make the Sign of the Cross before and after prayer, which is a traditional practice for Catholics when praying? I wonder how Muslims would view the Sign of the Cross being made in prayers toward Mecca?

;)

TPS

A return of the Crusades???

How is it different from when John Paul II went to the wailing wall? Judaism is just as un-Christian as Islam.

At any length, it's all diplomacy. I doubt Benedict is going to convert.

I wonder how God is judging him now? Do you think Jesus is furious? I mean, this must have come to their attention by now.

Perhaps the Pope's red phone is ringing at this very moment.

How is it different from when John Paul II went to the wailing wall? Judaism is just as un-Christian as Islam.

At any length, it's all diplomacy. I doubt Benedict is going to convert.
Ummm...the last time I checked, Christianity's roots are in Judaism. The Western (Wailing) Wall has significance as it is part of the Temple. Prayers to the God of Abraham at the Temple Mount are a bit different than praying towards the birthplace of Mohammad.

I don't think for a second that Pope Benedict is going to be changing his name to Ali. I just find it very odd that the leader of the Roman Catholic Church would in any way mimic a Muslim.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom