Someone tell me why Will Smith will not be a good 3-4 DE (1 Viewer)

I like William Gholston

As far as smith he wont b asked to set the edge anymore. Hes plenty strong enough to play DE. Wouldnt have him in 85% of the snaps either. He should b a two downer n play say 60% or less
I like Gholston too because he reminds me of Brett Keisel.

Bennie Logan and Omar Hunter are sleeper DE's with the size to start and contribute also. I'd also like to see the team take a look at Stefan Charles.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gpLIcE5cqtY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

You're on your own with the Will Smith optimism. Sorry, I can't even entertain it.

Did the Smith apologists actually watch him the past couple years. He just hasn't been very productive. He has a smattering nice plays but mostly his side gave up a ton of yardage against the run. He gets no real pressure on the QB. His sacks come when he overruns the play and the QB holds the ball. Problem is the Saints don't have much to replace him, even if we're only talking about depth. I would say the same for Vilma. Harper may be a little different if they plan on using him like a linebacker. He's not a good traditional safety though. They are or were all paid too much for their productivity.

Other players have graded out better, but you also have to consider the sample size. Smith has played a much higher percentage of snaps than either one of the younger players mentioned by PFF. And, not really trying to defend Smith here, but he has probably had the most distractions of any player in the entire NFL over the past five years, and has still played at a decent albeit unspectacular level. He has still averaged over seven sacks for the past four season; not exactly setting the world on fire but adequate. I think he serves to help take pressure off of the younger players, and provide dependable effort for the more dynamic players like Galette to hopefully build off of. The rush backer can take a bigger risk to get to the quarterback if he can trust that his end will be in position to help mitigate the damage if he fails. We as fans don&#8217;t really appreciate that enough sometimes. But I guarantee whoever lines up next to him will.

you make a great point. A lot of folks don't take this into concideration. And just for the record I was hoping we would move on from Smith but we didn't and I'm trying to explore/debate the benefit of keeping him as we transition to the 3-4.

The two things you automatically get with Smith and Vilma's resigning is:

1. Leadership
2. Loyalty (Taking less money to stay with the team they love)

And yes those two atributes mean a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom