Someone tell me why Will Smith will not be a good 3-4 DE (1 Viewer)

He got pushed around in the 4-3 going up against one tackle. Teams had their way with their run game behind their left tackle. Just wait till he's taking on the tackle and guard. Enjoy that show.

he couldn't even beat his blocks in the 4-3. Thats why.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but taking on blocks is more important than shedding blocks as a 3-4 DE. Thus freeing up the OLB to have a one on one with the OT giving him the advantage to get after the QB. A 3-4 DE doesn't get to the QB very often at all.

He got pushed around in the 4-3 going up against one tackle. Teams had their way with their run game behind their left tackle. Just wait till he's taking on the tackle and guard. Enjoy that show.

He was trying to get upfield in the 4-3, that's no longer his job. He's strong enough for the 3-4.

who knows, i'm sure they will keep the best starters and back ups for the season, well I hope they do.

Lack of all of the following

-quickness
-conditioning
-arm length
-agility

But I'll stop there.

These would all be great points (except for conditioning because Smith still has a motor) if we were running a 2-gap, and I'd completely agree with you, but we're running a 1-gap, so arm length really isn't an issue.

He is playing more of a 3-tech, and his job is to take on blockers so Vilma can run free, and I think he can do that. He is stout at the point because he is so squatty, so I think that plays as an advantage for him.

Still, I'd like to see him come off the field most passing down and give Tom Johnson a chance to rush the passer. I think he thrives in this system. I think it's a given that Hicks backs up Bunkley at the nose, and certainly he'll come in for him on passing downs.

I don't think he got blown off the ball so much as he couldn't play in space anymore. I think that was his issue, and switching to the 3-tech should minimize that.

Sean Payton's baseless loyalty will force him to perform better than all logic and reason should dictate, if you believe what this forum propagates.

I don't think he was expected to be the main pass rusher last season or the year before.

He definitely was. Spags defense has always been based around creating pressure with the front 4. Want to know why we were the worst defense in the NFL, look at our front 4 in comparison with Spags philosophy!

I don't think its him "not fitting" as much as folks feel he's not worth the money they owe him. With the money he's making he need to have a "JJ Watt"-type of season to warrant that salary.

But the reality is he was getting 70% of the money regardless of if he was here or not.

I take it your being sarcastic but I'll play any way. The Rigth DE in a 4-3's main job is getting after the QB

We didn't play any sort of straight 4-3 the year before last and last year was so freaking ugly I can't tell what we were trying to do.

Seemed like we played a reincarnation of the old prevent half the time. Still, I'm half serious. Smith was not expected to get to the QB when Williams was here or we wouldn't have had 300 exotic blitzes and Spags system spoke for itself.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but taking on blocks is more important than shedding blocks as a 3-4 DE. Thus freeing up the OLB to have a one on one with the OT giving him the advantage to get after the QB. A 3-4 DE doesn't get to the QB very often at all.

your correct, but unless you can beat one guy your never gonna draw that second blocker or make a play which is important. you need to do one or the other in a 3-4. be able to shed a single blocker or draw a second, even if its just a chip block goes a long way for the defense.

heck man. If all a dlineman needed to do in a 3-4 was eat a single block, NFL teams would sign any fatty off the street for league minimum.

He was trying to get upfield in the 4-3, that's no longer his job. He's strong enough for the 3-4.

Even on called running plays? DE's are taught to read their cues and one with as much experience as him better know how. He had his job, he just wasn't good at it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom