Something alarming you may have missed... (1 Viewer)

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The team is looking OK. We've lost the last two games but stood toe to toe (and actually looked better) than both those teams....but a TO ratio of 7 (stopped counting there) to 1 will do that.

BUT, what people not at the game, and others that came in after warmups, may have missed is something that makes me nervous...

Carney couldn't hit anything beyond 46....in warmups.

And I'm not talking about 'wide left' or 'wide right' misses. I mean 'about 5 yards SHORT' misses. I think he made 1 out of at least 6.

He looked extremely frustrated and the Kickoffs looked even shorter than normal, so maybe it was just a bad day.

I'm normally a defender of Carney since last years numbers were well above league average but this really rattled me.

I saw that too. For some strange reason, I think I remember KW saying something during the Pitt game that he got hurt. But, he was not close to kicking it long enough over 45 yards.

For the love of all things Holy, we need a kicker that can kick touchbacks. Giving the opposing team starting field position at the 35-40 yard line is beyond foolish.

I can recall only one touchback by Carney this whole season, it was vs Pitt. and the wind was at his back (there may have been more but I don't remember them).

We lose the field position battle automatically with Carney's weak kickoffs, and don't get me started on his miss in Jacksonville after the relay.

Bottom line: this needs to be Carney's last season with us. Yes, he's a class act, good teammate, heckuva guy and all that, but he damn sure cannot kickoff in the NFL, and I hate having to hold my breath while he attemtps PATs.

I know! He's already missed two in a seven-year span.

Wow, you're gonna defend Carney?

Okay, fine. You're right, through extensive reserch he has missed a grand total of 2 PATs. One being a swift kick in the junk vs the Jags (I would have cut him that day). After that miss he lost my trust for life.

So let us look at his kickoff prowess:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1400

Not so great. More touchbacks than I thought, but still unacceptable. Point is, it's time to insert a younger, stronger leg into our special teams, specifically kickoffs.

I notice you didn't take offense with the fact that the opposing teams generally start at their 40 yard line......:)

I'd try Weatherford at kickoffs before I'd cut Carney. He's outperforming Vanderjagt and almost outperforming Vinatieri.

EDIT: Actually, he's tied with John Kasay for 6th place out of all FG kickers, league-wide. And he's tied for 5th, if you don't count Gramatica, who only kicked for three games.

Last edited:
I thought he was making some 50s. But either way, we were just discussing Carney 2nite here. We've been living on borrowed time with him. He's already older than Morten was long after I thought he was washed up. Carney doesn't make me that nervous on PATs yet but, hell, that could change next week. His position needs to be addressed ASAP.

we need to get John Deraney from NC State... he handles all their kicking duties, but I think if you remove punting from his tasks (weakest at this anyway), he'd be an awesome PK/KOS for us....

Wow, you're gonna defend Carney?

Okay, fine. You're right, through extensive reserch he has missed a grand total of 2 PATs. One being a swift kick in the junk vs the Jags (I would have cut him that day). After that miss he lost my trust for life.

So let us look at his kickoff prowess:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1400

Not so great. More touchbacks than I thought, but still unacceptable. Point is, it's time to insert a younger, stronger leg into our special teams, specifically kickoffs.

I notice you didn't take offense with the fact that the opposing teams generally start at their 40 yard line......:)

We have to ride it out with him this year. The injury to Berger forced Carney into having to kick off. The lack of length during warm-ups, mentioned above, is alarming, but Carney has been pretty solid this year. Early in the season, his kickoffs weren't too bad, but lately, he's been pretty short. We won't have the luxury of attempting long field goals this year and should probably look to upgrade the position next offseason.

He has missed 5 xp in 18 years in the league and percentage for his career is 98.6 % (of his 18 years in the league, 6 with the saints, 4 were 100%, one was 97.3%, and this year he is 96.2 %), I think we have more pressing concerns than that. And as far as starting on the 40 yrd line, I think we need to teach a few of our coverage guys how to tackle, because most of these times are the result of a return, not a horrible kick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom