Something good will come from this Brees-Jenkins drama (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to notice something that have been missing in all of the discussions around here, twitter, etc, regarding of the contrasting opinions of the day.

CHANGE IS A PRODUCT OF DISCUSSIONS BETWEEN GOOD- SMART PEOPLE.

There is a big difference between what we read on twitter, what we see in the news, and specially, on the rhetoric coming from the politicians from what happened today.

In the case of Drew Brees, Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Thomas, all of them are intelligent men. Men of principles. They are not fed by interest, they all are set on principles. We are not talking about blowhards who will not listen, stubborn people who think their way is the only way,.

Second thing, actions speak louder, way louder than words. And here, we have many, many years of actions that speak for themselves.

Yes, there will be a discussion, a very difficult one. Drew Brees will say the team that they love them but he grew up with seeded respect on the flag and the military.

Malcolm Jenkins and others will let him know that by protesting they are honouring the flag and the institutions.

We should not forget that flag and anthems are representative of sovereign people. And it is the duty of the people to fight for equality.

Both sides are coming from good intentions. They have a difference in means, not in goals.

These are the kind of discussions, the hard talk that make societies flourish, be better.

Facing uncomfortable situations with respect, and finding common goal, will only make the community, in this case, the saints community, better.

Only bad thing that can happen is that nothing happens, and our leadership will not allow it.

Call me optimistic, but I can only see good coming from good people, even when there is short-term conflict between good people.

I made a post in a different thread saying something similar. There is always a silver lining. What may be bad for Brees could end up being good for society. Maybe?

It will be a 5:1 ratio of bad to good. But good will be mixed in there.

Join the discussion

Unfortunately, the good relies solely on Brees apologizing and cleaning up his words. Knowing how much Brees has been involved in giving back to the community would make the context of his full interview responses misunderstood. But no one will be willing to have a debate or a panel discussion unless the cleanup apology happens and likely pledging money towards fighting racial injustice. The timing of his echoed sentiments about the flag has made superstar athletes, his teammates, and social media turn against him. It’s on Drew to clean this situation up and I think he will. But this won’t go away easy if at all

• 1Like
Reactions: Dre
I honestly don't think Drew is a bad guy but they need to have an honest discussion about American history. I just hope he is able to have this type of discussion. As they say, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

Honestly with the locker room feeling hurt by the lack of consideration to both their individual and community’s pain, I don't think M. Jenkins, Thomas, Kamara, etc., will feel comfortable seeing Brees or Hill start over Winston. It’s tolerated for this year since Winston is new and learning. But that subconscious feeling this year may escalate into tension next season. Depending on whether or not Brees can get the media backlash under control, Winston may start the season this year.

Oh God are y'all really serious???

Calm down, they'll work it out. If Winston is starting this year, it'll be for a different reason.

I want to notice something that have been missing in all of the discussions around here, twitter, etc, regarding of the contrasting opinions of the day.

CHANGE IS A PRODUCT OF DISCUSSIONS BETWEEN GOOD- SMART PEOPLE.

There is a big difference between what we read on twitter, what we see in the news, and specially, on the rhetoric coming from the politicians from what happened today.

In the case of Drew Brees, Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Thomas, all of them are intelligent men. Men of principles. They are not fed by interest, they all are set on principles. We are not talking about blowhards who will not listen, stubborn people who think their way is the only way,.

Second thing, actions speak louder, way louder than words. And here, we have many, many years of actions that speak for themselves.

Yes, there will be a discussion, a very difficult one. Drew Brees will say the team that they love them but he grew up with seeded respect on the flag and the military.

Malcolm Jenkins and others will let him know that by protesting they are honouring the flag and the institutions.

We should not forget that flag and anthems are representative of sovereign people. And it is the duty of the people to fight for equality.

Both sides are coming from good intentions. They have a difference in means, not in goals.

These are the kind of discussions, the hard talk that make societies flourish, be better.

Facing uncomfortable situations with respect, and finding common goal, will only make the community, in this case, the saints community, better.

Only bad thing that can happen is that nothing happens, and our leadership will not allow it.

Call me optimistic, but I can only see good coming from good people, even when there is short-term conflict between good people.
This is going to end with Drew taking a knee during an anthem. His position is definitely in the minority in this locker room. As the leader of this team, he will need to have an open conversation with his teammates and then humble himself. That is what a true leader does.

The good thing will be that I can start my post-season drinking binge in October when we haven't won a game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom