Something intresting brought up by Bobby and Mike D last night (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Since safties with ball skills are a hard to come by. Maybe puthe bulk of you FA dollars into a Top CB and move MM to FS.

He's got the best ball skills on the defense and because of age and injury he may be loosing a valuable step at the CB position.

Thoughts

Since safties with ball skills are a hard to come by. Maybe puthe bulk of you FA dollars into a Top CB and move MM to FS.

He's got the best ball skills on the defense and because of age and injury he may be loosing a valuable step at the CB position.

Thoughts

I'd be in support of that. I've thought the last few years that he'd be a candidate for that kind of late career position move. He's got pretty good size, and is a good tackler in run support. Rod Woodson was one of the more successfull players to make that switch, and not only extended his career but made a few pro bowls at FS.

This subject keeps surfacing, but I think the possibility of him starting in any capacity next year is a longshot. I came to love the Predator, who in my opinion has been the team's defensive MVP the past few years, but at his age and with his history of knee injuries, I don't think the Saints can count on him to start anywhere in the secondary next year.

I'd be in support of that. I've thought the last few years that he'd be a candidate for that kind of late career position move. He's got pretty good size, and is a good tackler in run support. Rod Woodson was one of the more successfull players to make that switch, and not only extended his career but made a few pro bowls at FS.

Yes, I think the example Bobby used was Ronnie Lott. MM is the kind of player that could possibably extend his career as a safety. He's smart enough to put himself in good positions to make up for his aging body. And Mike D added that under Gibbs MM has become a very physical player, something that would benifit him at the FS position.

McKenzie is not gonna be a good Safety. he does not like to hit, yes he will tackle but a Safety has to like to hit. we don't even know how he'll recover from the injury

I don't think I'd agree that MM doesn't like to hit.

This subject keeps surfacing, but I think the possibility of him starting in any capacity next year is a longshot. I came to love the Predator, who in my opinion has been the team's defensive MVP the past few years, but at his age and with his history of knee injuries, I don't think the Saints can count on him to start anywhere in the secondary next year.

I didn't think it was much of a history of knee injuries. You may be right though. But playing devils advocate, not having to make all those twist's and adjustments covering WR's 8 to 10 years younger than him may help him out. Sitting back watching the play unfold and planning his line of attack might work for him.

At any rate if, his health is that much of a question them I would want him to have that chance even more.

MM on crutches >>>>>>>>>>>>> Harper, Bullocks or KK

I've said it a few times... other CBs have made the move in the "twilight" of their careers and was pretty good at it.

Rod Woodson
Aneas Williams
Ray Buchanan

Its not impossible.

McKenzie has spent the bulk of his career (a long career) as a man-to-man corner. The idea that he can move to free safety with zonal responsibilities at this point in his career while rehabbing from his second major leg injury in two years seems like a real stretch. Jason David still struggles with this transition, and he isn't nearly as long in the tooth or having to deal with health issues.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but seems far-fetched to me.

I've said it a few times... other CBs have made the move in the "twilight" of their careers and was pretty good at it.

Rod Woodson
Aneas Williams
Ray Buchanan

Its not impossible.

with the exclusion of Buchanan who only lasted one yr after the switch, you'd have to say that Woodson and Williams were head and shoulders better than MM in their prime

with the exclusion of Buchanan who only lasted one yr after the switch, you'd have to say that Woodson and Williams were head and shoulders better than MM in their prime

I think it has more to do with the intelligance of the player making the switch. MM is a very "football" smart player. Equal to Woodson or Williams, if not physically.

I think it has more to do with the intelligance of the player making the switch. MM is a very "football" smart player. Equal to Woodson or Williams, if not physically.

what has MM shown to you that would constitute being a intelligent football player? i'm not criticizing you just would like to know what you saw

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom