Something to consider about drafting players from Ohio State... (1 Viewer)

REALCHRISM

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
is that because tOSU is on a quarter system and their seniors graduate later than most schools, any player we draft from Ohio State--whether it's Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis or, even, Vernon Gholston--would not be able to join the team until after tOSU hosts its graduation. Let us not forget just last year how behind Antonio Pittman was when he first came to the team. I like Jenkins and Laurinaitis both and think they are tremendous players but I also know that it will be important to have a guy that can be a part of all the minicamps and practice sessions in early June. This does not mean that we should not draft one of those guys but it is something that we will have to consider and make sure we are prepared to deal with in terms of getting a guy up to speed before the start of preseason.

Personally, I think the rule by the NFL is stupid. Players should not be penalized from joining a team simply because their school is on a quarter system rather than a semester system. It's not like the NFL is upholding some academic virtue by not allowing these players to join. The moment you permit underclassmen to enter the NFL--unless they have graduated in three years--you are advocating them taking a leave of absence from school to pursue dreams of playing in the NFL. So why make them wait as if you are promoting academics? It's crazy and it hurts those teams that draft players from teams such as Ohio State and Oregon State.

Last edited:
Didn't hurt Will Smith... he had his best season as a rookie. Probably cause he could sit on the bench and learn though...

Gholston's a junior

If the kids got talent, it's a non-issue like A.J. Hawk and Will Smith. I'm sure there are some more successful ones, but I'm not going to waste my time looking them up.

I think all of the top Ohio State prospects are underclassmen...so they don't have to graduate. But even if they were seniors, I don't think they would pass on a guy they wanted just becuase he'd miss a mini-camp. When you spend a high draft pick on a player you have to be thinking about more than just one season. It's a long-term investment.

Name one Ohio State player in the past few years that has been worth their #1 spot? Malcom Jenkins is not the answer IMHO. Will Smith is legit(yea i said legit) but he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Name one Ohio State player in the past few years that has been worth their #1 spot? Malcom Jenkins is not the answer IMHO. Will Smith is legit(yea i said legit) but he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Will Smith is a pro bowler............or he has been in the past.

I am not saying that you don't draft the player. If that's the best player on the board, you take him. I am just saying that it will be something that the team will have to consider in the time moving forward as they try to make sure that all the players have an understanding of what it is we try to do. I actually believe that the learning curve is easier for a defender than it is for someoen who would be coming into our offense. Again, this is not a suggestion to not draft any player from tOSU.

Also, I am aware that all of the Ohio State players are underclassmen. That does not prohibit the NFL's rule.

I think you're right Saint Greg, you have to see any player you draft as a long-term investment. If anything, this thread is more for fans although the Saints will have to consider it as well. I say it is more for fans because if a guy drafted out of tOSU struggles early in training camp while he tries to digest the complex schemes of the NFL, hopefully the knowledge that a player cannot join the team until after his school graduates will be a caution against calling said player a bust.

Nick Mangold, AJ Hawk, Will Smith, Santonio Holmes, Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Whitner, and Nate Clements are all good to Pro Bowl quality players...all taken in the first round out of Ohio State this decade.

We can play this game with any school. Oh no, Josh Reed, Michael Clayton, and Marcus Spears have failed to live up to they're billing. We better avoid LSU players since their not all first ballot hall of famers.

Last edited:
it's a useless rule... there is also a culture change that, I beleive, can have an adverse effect on those players. I think that and the heat had as much to do with Pittman's course as did Pierre's exceptional preseason play.

Nick Mangold, AJ Hawk, Will Smith, Santonio Holmes, Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Whitner, and Nate Clements are all good to Pro Bowl quality players...all taken in the first round out of Ohio State this decade.

We can play this game with any school. Oh no, Josh Reed, Michael Clayton, and Marcus Spears have failed to live up to they're billing. We better avoid LSU players since their not all first ballot hall of famers.

Just to play devil's advocate, Santonio Holmes and Anthony Gonzelez both struggled during their rookie campaigns. Gonzalez began to pick things up late. Holmes had a few moments during his rookie year when he showed flashes but was, otherwise, subpar at best. I tend to believe the rule has a greater effect as I said before on offensive players than it does defensive players. Cover-2 is cover-2. But offenses tend to have more complex schemes and terminology, particularly the Saints offense.

Still, if one of those guys--Laurinaitis or Jenkins--is on the board when we select and is the best rated player on defense on the board, we must not hesitate to select him.

Just to play devil's advocate, Santonio Holmes and Anthony Gonzelez both struggled during their rookie campaigns. Gonzalez began to pick things up late. Holmes had a few moments during his rookie year when he showed flashes but was, otherwise, subpar at best. I tend to believe the rule has a greater effect as I said before on offensive players than it does defensive players. Cover-2 is cover-2. But offenses tend to have more complex schemes and terminology, particularly the Saints offense.

Still, if one of those guys--Laurinaitis or Jenkins--is on the board when we select and is the best rated player on defense on the board, we must not hesitate to select him.

Mangold played like a stud and made all the line calls as a rookie. I think it has far more to do with personal discipline, intelligence, and work ethic than anything. Smart players and hard workers will make the transition just fine...that's why you have to evaluate each player individually.

Additionally WRs always struggle in year 1. There are rare exceptions, and I do mean very, very rare exceptions. From 1990 to 2005 there were 54 rookie WRs drafted. Only 4 reached 1,000 yards and only 12 even managed 750 yards. Numbers for 1st round rookie WRs are pathetic. Proving that it has nothing to do with school, but rather the position.

The stark averages for the first-round wide receivers from the last 15 draft classes: 7.5 starts, 34.0 catches, 474.4 yards and 3.1 touchdowns.
Both Gonzalez and Holmes beat the WR averages, and Holmes nearly doubled the yardage average. So your analysis of Holmes and Gonzalez struggling isn't based in fact when you say they struggled.

http://www.superfans.net/public/nflboards/fortyniners/index.cgi?frames=n;read=102655

An oldie but a goodie... Joey Galloway. There are plenty of great Ohio State players in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom