Something to consider about drafting players from Ohio State... (1 Viewer)

Heres a good one...Name a few recent USC graduates that are doing good in the NFL

Nick Mangold, AJ Hawk, Will Smith, Santonio Holmes, Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Whitner, and Nate Clements are all good to Pro Bowl quality players...all taken in the first round out of Ohio State this decade.

You can add Antoine Winfield, LeCharles Bentley, Orlando Pace and Mike Vrabel as studs to be drafted out of Ohio State in the last 10 years

You can add Antoine Winfield, LeCharles Bentley, Orlando Pace and Mike Vrabel as studs to be drafted out of Ohio State in the last 10 years

Oh yeah, absolutely. I left off some of those drafted pre-2000 (Winfield, Pace) simply to argue Saints88's points about first rounders in the last few years. And I left off Vrabel (also pre-2000) and Bentley just to keep it to first rounders.

There is no doubt Ohio State produces great players, especially at the top of the draft.

Though no one is greater than Kevin Houser. Kevin Houser >>> NFL All Pro Team members. :hihi:

Just to play devil's advocate, Santonio Holmes and Anthony Gonzelez both struggled during their rookie campaigns. Gonzalez began to pick things up late.

I'd take Gonzalez's rookie season over Meachem's rookie season any day of the week.

Who can forget the greatest-Saint-that-never-was-but-should-have-been, Eddie George.

I'd take Gonzalez's rookie season over Meachem's rookie season any day of the week.

First, the discussion has nothing to do with Gonzalez versus Meachem or who we would want on the team between the two. Secondly, I guarantee you and a lot of others are going to be eating crow when Meachem plays well and contributes to our success next season.

Yea I meant recent like in the past five or six years...forgot about Hawk though.

What was Eddie George drafted, he was a pretty good player, IMHO

sorry, brock, just read your post.

Laurinaitis would start if he walked in the locker room to get fitted for pads minutes before the season opener in 2008...

Teams that draft players hoping that they'll be stars or contribute any more than an average NFL player at their position in their rookie seasons are not being realistic. Most of these kids are not conditioned for the grind that is the NFL.

Think about it: they're competing against athletes who are more just as talented as they are at every position on the field for the first time in their lives, and most of these guys learned the play book a few years ago, have played and earned their spots against the elite of the elite, and have already gotten past the shock of money and fame and living without someone holding their hand 24/7 like they did in college. Even when you fail, you still work harder than virtually any of the schmoes who are dissing you at every turn on message boards, and are functioning at a higher caliber of excellence than any of them ever have in their entire lives.

The money is nice, but it's still rough going, and a rookie season is never a waste if the kids are learning to compete.

is that because tOSU is on a quarter system and their seniors graduate later than most schools, any player we draft from Ohio State--whether it's Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis or, even, Vernon Gholston--would not be able to join the team until after tOSU hosts its graduation.

Those guys are all juniors.

The REAL reason not to draft players from Ohio State:

1. Laurinaitis probably won't be on the board.
2. Gholston is a DE; not a position of need.
3. Jenkins sucks.

Ohio State has actually had some impressive corners come into the NFL:
Antoine Winfield
Ashton Youboty
Shawn Springs
Chris Gamble
nate clements
Mike Doss

Doss is a safety. That IS a decent list, although Youboty hasn't made a name for himself yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom