Something to help make your day a better one (1 Viewer)

thewyrm

Reaction score
Here is what I am in the middle of right now:

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=anBullet width="100%">Prudhoe Bay Weather</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" align=right> Radar</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
horizontaldots.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
35.GIF

P/CLOUDY</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px" align=middle width="100%">-47°
Hi: -32°/Lo: -40° <TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>Feels Like: </TD><TD noWrap>-60°F</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Humidity: </TD><TD noWrap>100%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Sweet mercyful God is it cold up here. Just now I had to walk about 50 yards from one building to another and my joints just didn't want to co-operate with me. Like my body rebelling and going "Dude, get your crazy [expletive] back inside!"

I'm actually considering doing my twilight military tour up there. When I hit 16 years I'll be able to request orders wherever I want. I was thinking about doing a tour at a reserve station up there. Just one of those places I've always wanted to visit.

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=anBullet width="100%">Prudhoe Bay Weather</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" align=right> Radar</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
horizontaldots.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
35.GIF

P/CLOUDY</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px" align=middle width="100%">-47°
Hi: -32°/Lo: -40° <TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>Feels Like: </TD><TD noWrap>-60°F</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Humidity: </TD><TD noWrap>100%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Sweet mercyful God is it cold up here. Just now I had to walk about 50 yards from one building to another and my joints just didn't want to co-operate with me. Like my body rebelling and going "Dude, get your crazy [expletive] back inside!"

Yeah, but you made what...$50 during that walk?

Thank you, though. It can indeed help to think "Y'know, no matter how things suck for me today, it's not all that bad. They could be sucking like this in Prudhoe Bay."

The really harsh thing is the humidity. How in the name of Zod can it be that cold with 100% humidity? The ice fog must be intense.

bclemms- I work on an oil rig on the Arctic Ocean. I complain incessantly every day but payday, on that day I remember why I do this.

Sandgrunt- Not every part of Alaska is as cold as it is up here at the Arctic. The climate in Sout-Central Alaska where I was born and raised is pretty mild. A few cold snaps here and there during the winter but amazing summers full of unending daylight and an average of 75 degrees. The Pan Handle has climates almost indistinguishable from Seattle or Portland.

What branch of the military are you? Elmendorf Air Force Base just outside Anchorage is actually considered a "prestige" assignment. They turn down a lot of transfer requests. If you are Army, request Ft. Richardson over Ft. Wainright. Fairbanks, Alaska is like the 9th circle of Hell. 100 degrees in the summer and 100 below in the winter.

Taurus- Actually there is a wicked fog right now. There isn't usually that much humidity. The Arctic Coast much like Antarctica is actually a desert. The air is so dry I often wake up with pools of blood on my pillow from nose bleeds during the night.

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=anBullet width="100%">Prudhoe Bay Weather</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" align=right>Radar</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
horizontaldots.gif
35.GIF

P/CLOUDY
</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px" align=middle width="100%">-47°
Hi: -32°/Lo: -40° <TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>Feels Like: </TD><TD noWrap>-60°F</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Humidity: </TD><TD noWrap>100%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Eeeek! I couldn't handle that. I got chills just reading it. :covri:

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=anBullet width="100%">Prudhoe Bay Weather</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" align=right>Radar</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
horizontaldots.gif
35.GIF

P/CLOUDY
</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px" align=middle width="100%">-48°
Hi: -33°/Lo: -44° <TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>Feels Like: </TD><TD noWrap>-75°F</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Humidity: </TD><TD noWrap>100%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Here is today's update. A little colder today. It is actually cold enough to throw a cup of coffe up into the air and no fluid will hit the ground. Pretty cool actually.

I would love to spend a couple weeks up there but I don't know if I could make a home out of it.

I love brutally cold weather but I have never been close to -48. The closest was -28 with a wind chill in the -40's.

Do you live there 365 or split time somewhere else?

I have a two weeks on / two weeks off schedule. For two weeks I am here at the rig working 12 hours a day for 14 straight days. Then I fly home to my house in Anchorage where I have two weeks to lounge around and do nothing but relax. Last year I lived in Seattle, but I moved back to AK to save some money for a while.

Sounds like a good job. I have thought about doing offshore work before. I figure I could go two weeks off and when I get home take care of my business and fish. The only problem is I just don't trust anyone to run my business for two weeks at a time.

Brutal. I'm pretty stoic about a lot of things, but cold isn't one of them. It drops below 50, and I hate life. I cannot stand being cold. I hope they're paying you a bunch because you deserve it to put up with that misery

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom