Something to hold on to (2 Viewers)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Many have pointed out how similar this buildup to the season feels to 2006, from a general overhaul culminating in the jettisoning of a popular veteran (Stallworth/Lewis). No doubt that the Saints looked ugly against Houston. But if it's any consolation, in 2006, a year in which the Saints went 10-6 and missed the Super Bowl by one win, they lost the second preseason game to Dallas, 30-7. They crushed Dallas in the regular season, 42-17 behind three Mike Karney touchdowns.

Something to hold on to.

Come September 11th its a whole new season. I always wait till the first 4 regular season games are played and then I start to get a good feel for where this team is heading. It's important to be at least 2-2 heading into the bye week. Hopefully 4-0 or 3-1 though.

Come September 11th its a whole new season. I always wait till the first 4 regular season games are played and then I start to get a good feel for where this team is heading. It's important to be at least 2-2 heading into the bye week. Hopefully 4-0 or 3-1 though.

OS, I'm right there with you. If we are 2-2 out of the gate, I'd be happy with that given the current circumstances.

OS, I'm right there with you. If we are 2-2 out of the gate, I'd be happy with that given the current circumstances.

I don't see us losing to the Falcons on MNF in the Dome and at this point the up and coming Raiders are a toss up. They aren't the recent old sucky Raiders anymore. I really hope we win our two home games and just one of the two road game. Really want a win in San Diego because I'm going to that one and I know a lot of us are on here are going as well!

I think people are freaking. The oline looked bad but we have never had an issue with our offense in the Sean Payton era. The defense has always dictated how good or bad we do

Preseason is nothing to gauge the team by. The year we lost almost all preseason games we had a good season ijs.

Preseason is nothing to gauge the team by. The year we lost almost all preseason games we had a good season ijs.

I agree with that somewhat, however -- with a young team, you really want them to get a taste of winning, even if it's a meaningless game. They are trying to rebirth a winning culture and the way they've played the past two game is not winning football.

Thankfully, it doesn't count. However, to expect them to flip a switch and be ready to grind out a win just because the games count suddenly might not be the best approach. It certainly didn't work in 2014 and 2015.

I think people are freaking. The oline looked bad but we have never had an issue with our offense in the Sean Payton era. The defense has always dictated how good or bad we do

This is an inaccurate statement. We have had amazing problems on offense, and last year, during the first 4 games, where Rob Ryan actually had the Defense on point, taking away the ball...we were struggling trying to score. No need to sugarcoat that.

But we do need to wait, give them a chance to fix it. Also, and this probably needs it's own thread, but I've mentioned it often the past two seasons...we are seeing a change in the NFL. The teams that are going to be successful, will get ahead of the change. The college play has been overwhelmingly saturated with spread offenses. Defensive Linemen are coming in more talented, because they have to defend the spread offense and account for the QB.

Flip of that, OL are spoiled in college, bc the QBs are making life easy for them. Now, they get into the NFL, where play still, in most cases, is pocket passers, create a wall, create a pocket and give the QB time. That's becoming harder and harder to do, and will get tougher. The Defensive guys are loving it, and are eating left and right: Preseason Musings: Why the quality of O-line play in the NFL is getting worse - CBSSports.com

I do hate penciling in Peat as a starter when he has looked like an UDFA that doesn't make the team. Lelito is a run blocker that sucks in pass protection and we pass a lot and we haven't shown the ability to run either

Many have pointed out how similar this buildup to the season feels to 2006, from a general overhaul culminating in the jettisoning of a popular veteran (Stallworth/Lewis). No doubt that the Saints looked ugly against Houston. But if it's any consolation, in 2006, a year in which the Saints went 10-6 and missed the Super Bowl by one win, they lost the second preseason game to Dallas, 30-7. They crushed Dallas in the regular season, 42-17 behind three Mike Karney touchdowns.

Something to hold on to.

We also went 2-2 in the preseason losing to Houston 30-7 in 2011 when we supposedly had our best team ever! Fun facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an inaccurate statement. We have had amazing problems on offense, and last year, during the first 4 games, where Rob Ryan actually had the Defense on point, taking away the ball...we were struggling trying to score. No need to sugarcoat that.

But we do need to wait, give them a chance to fix it. Also, and this probably needs it's own thread, but I've mentioned it often the past two seasons...we are seeing a change in the NFL. The teams that are going to be successful, will get ahead of the change. The college play has been overwhelmingly saturated with spread offenses. Defensive Linemen are coming in more talented, because they have to defend the spread offense and account for the QB.

Flip of that, OL are spoiled in college, bc the QBs are making life easy for them. Now, they get into the NFL, where play still, in most cases, is pocket passers, create a wall, create a pocket and give the QB time. That's becoming harder and harder to do, and will get tougher. The Defensive guys are loving it, and are eating left and right: Preseason Musings: Why the quality of O-line play in the NFL is getting worse - CBSSports.com

And yet with leads in the 4th quarter that defense gave up the wins over several early games. Two years in a row.

I would urge everyone to click on the above link. It explains a lot. To summarize and thus oversimplify: colleges with spread formations are not preparing their offensive linemen for the pro game. The OL coaches have to try to prepare offensive linemen almost from scratch PLUS teach the scheme. Moreover, they have LESS time to do it under the current CBA.

Several top OL draft picks have not done well lately. So, let's relate this to Andrus Peat's situation. Add this to the problem of having him try to learn these different positions since the the other guards have not been found satisfactory. Peat was a LT in college--I think that's correct--so he is playing under very difficult circumstances. I don't know what kind of offense Stanford plays, so that would factor in.

That's the way is should be. However, most of us are mortal, so we project preseason games, practice, and even OTA's into the regular season. Until the first regular season snap, we should be about evaluating players, not game play.

Yet here I am again, ridin' that roller coaster.

I would urge everyone to click on the above link. It explains a lot. To summarize and thus oversimplify: colleges with spread formations are not preparing their offensive linemen for the pro game. The OL coaches have to try to prepare offensive linemen almost from scratch PLUS teach the scheme. Moreover, they have LESS time to do it under the current CBA.

Several top OL draft picks have not done well lately. So, let's relate this to Andrus Peat's situation. Add this to the problem of having him try to learn these different positions since the the other guards have not been found satisfactory. Peat was a LT in college--I think that's correct--so he is playing under very difficult circumstances. I don't know what kind of offense Stanford plays, so that would factor in.

Like I said, AARP, this probably deserves its own thread, but I can't remember if I made a thread on it last year or not. Anyway, you are correct, it explains a lot, and shows what we are facing...have been facing for a few years now, especially since our Pro Bowl linemen, declined or signed elsewhere. If you look around the league, teams are adjusting. We won't be able to compete soon, playing a Bill Walsh type offense, in this changing league. Especially with a mobile QB, and offense, in the SB damn near every year the past what 5 seasons or more? Yeah, we know a pocket passing O won last year, but they had hella-problems and a defense that's probably number one if all time...plus Peyton Manning. So that was an anomaly, IMO.

If nothing else, we have to incorporate more of a roll-out offense, that helps the Linemen protect the QB, give Brees more time and more familiar to the guys that left college within the past 5-6 years.

Make no mistake, our coaches know this...scouts see what's coming up from college. They are paid a lot of money and are hired to be experts in their field. Sean is smart...but he has to find a way to adapt or change the makeup that naturally fits with an obviously different game. Defensive Linemen and linebackers, along with blitz packages, are hitting homeruns these days, far too often. This is happening in an era where all rules have been written to help the Offense and Quarterback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom