Something to hold on to (1 Viewer)

We also went 2-2 in the preseason losing to Houston 30-7 in 2011 when we supposedly had our best team ever! Fun facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We lost by double digits to Houston and Oakland that preseason and beat the 49ers by 20+ that preseason as well. Now that I thing about it, I just checked their preseason from 2011 and here is what happened

Week 1: Lost to New Orleans 24-3
Week 2: Beat Oakland 17-3
Week 3: Got demolished by Houston 30-7. We also lost big to Houston in that preseason. This is supposed to be the Dress Rehearsal game in the NFL preseason.
Week 4: Beat the Chargers 20-17

That same 49ers team went on to beat New Orleans in the divisional round of the playoffs and had home field in the playoffs that year. Also went to the Super Bowl. Preseason literally means nothing.

Maybe we should distinguish between ''preseason'' and ''preseason won-loss record.'' One can evaluate players in preseason. I think that's what Payton was doing with Peat, Coleman, Murphy, and others most likely. But the preseason team record seems rather meaningless as a harbinger of the upcoming season.

I agree on the overall sentiment; Preseason results have no bearing on the regular season when we will have 100% of the best possible players available playing a whole game and playcalling going all out.

However, I don't want to be "that guy" but I feel like EVERY year now is heralded by fans as "just like the 2006" year in the preseason. 2006 was a very special and awesome season I will always hold near and dear to my heart and I just don't think that will ever be fully recaptured.

I agree on the overall sentiment; Preseason results have no bearing on the regular season when we will have 100% of the best possible players available playing a whole game and playcalling going all out.

However, I don't want to be "that guy" but I feel like EVERY year now is heralded by fans as "just like the 2006" year in the preseason. 2006 was a very special and awesome season I will always hold near and dear to my heart and I just don't think that will ever be fully recaptured.

That season cannot be compared to any other season. It was "Our Turn" and that's undeniable. The breaks we got during that season, the fact that we saw no cold weather games in the post season (a little rain in Miami, iirc) and that we intercept the ball to win the NFCCG, then intercept it to win the SB...the same guy doing it both times...?

Now, add-in Lance Moore catching a 2-point conversion upside down and on his neck, and we recovering the on-side kick, which Mrs. Cleo wouldn't have predicted that we would even do that...much more. You just have to overlook it when people say..."This is just like 2006...", bc we wont have magic like that again. The next time we win, it will have to be from dominant play, without looking for those types of breaks, that many all in one season.

Every team that wins the SB can point to luck, along the way, but, Ours way far more than luck, ours was magic.

I don't put much stock in preseason

PIT and AZ are 0-2 (as we are)
DEN, CAR and SEA are 1-1

I thought we lost that last game against the Bears in Chicago in 2006!

06....09, ur right.

Point was, trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. We have to move forward. Nothing we did back then will be efficient today (The concept is valid, intercept passes, throw for TEa, but how we did it needs retooling). The guard play back then, possibly, couldn't stand up the the defenses today. Every year defenses are getting better and better across the board.

I think that when your play calling on offense and defense is so Vanilla, you actually let up somewhat and you do look bad when that happens. I'll make an evaluation against the Raiders. I honestly feel like we will get 3-4 turnovers in that game.

I think that when your play calling on offense and defense is so Vanilla, you actually let up somewhat and you do look bad when that happens. I'll make an evaluation against the Raiders. I honestly feel like we will get 3-4 turnovers in that game.

That game has the potential to be a big wake-up call for the raiders. Everyone in the media is pegging them to go deep in the playoffs this season. They are pegging us to be sub .500.

They are coming into the dome for opening day against a much different defense. If they take this game lightly or as an easy win, they will find themselves in trouble.

Now, the flip side of that, is our o-line better get it's act together before going up against their defense.

This is so accurate. We don't even check out of plays in the preseason. We run on first pretty much every down and everyone knows Ingram gets stronger as the game goes. You can't really discuss anything until after the Oakland game. That's when you get the first look at the 2016 Saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That season cannot be compared to any other season. It was "Our Turn" and that's undeniable. The breaks we got during that season, the fact that we saw no cold weather games in the post season (a little rain in Miami, iirc) and that we intercept the ball to win the NFCCG, then intercept it to win the SB...the same guy doing it both times...?

Now, add-in Lance Moore catching a 2-point conversion upside down and on his neck, and we recovering the on-side kick, which Mrs. Cleo wouldn't have predicted that we would even do that...much more. You just have to overlook it when people say..."This is just like 2006...", bc we wont have magic like that again. The next time we win, it will have to be from dominant play, without looking for those types of breaks, that many all in one season.

Every team that wins the SB can point to luck, along the way, but, Ours way far more than luck, ours was magic.

The otherworldly comeback vs. the Dolphins, the smaller but no less memorable comeback vs. the Redskins...magic indeed. And one of your better posts, indeed.

The otherworldly comeback vs. the Dolphins, the smaller but no less memorable comeback vs. the Redskins...magic indeed. And one of your better posts, indeed.

That Meachem strip, indeed, should have been one of the first mentions. As for my post...some of the things just needed a year or two for people to be able to digest. Hard to hear some of those truths a couple years ago....I get that.

Preseason is nothing to gauge the team by. The year we lost almost all preseason games we had a good season ijs.

While I don't necessarily agree with this statement, we as fans sometimes do put too much stock into the preseason. I'm happy to see that it looks like we will put a formidable defense on the field this season, the o-line troubles concern me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom