Something to keep in mind about 17 game season (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over the years I’ve noticed teams like the Patriots and the Saints are usually still tweaking things going into Week 1 of the season.

While obvious, yes, I mean to highlight that they will typically treat week 1 like pre-season week 5. Remember a few years back Austin Carr was our starting slot WR until roughly the 3rd game then he never saw the field again beyond injuries?

With one less pre-season game I expect this to be even more pronounced.

For at least the next 3 weeks these games will be glorified pre-season games where teams with A1 coaching staffs and mostly set rosters will have the biggest advantage.

Granted we’re facing the Packers week 1 nullifying this a bit, the Saints next 4 games are versus Mac Jones, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Of those 4 only Jones has been with his team more than 1 year and under Garrett they finished 31st in Total offense and points scored in 2020. Coaches already complain about the limited time they have with players and less stable teams really tend to feel that more!

There’s potential to go 5-0 at best, 4-1 if the Packers results in a loss and 3-2 at worst.

If one of your counters is “Yeah but Jameis Winston is also on his 1st year as starter, keep in mind it’s his 2nd year in the offense.

If your other counter is Our defense tends to be trash early in the season and or we don’t do well vs rookie QB’s, you might have me there.

Interior pocket presence is a huge question but Dennis Allen does come from the 3G school of defense…they will manufacture A gap pressure through stunts, games, and LB blitzes from the 2nd level. In fact Gardner, Davis, Alexander, and Jenkins are all capable 2nd level Blitzers.

The secondary isn’t a huge concern for me unless there is injury. The CB situation is very similar to the LB situation in that you’re only playing with 2 guys as primary starters because your base defense is a big Nickel with CJGJ as your slot CB. Dime is next up and I’m sure Adebo can handle those responsibilities just fine.

The other caveat is those guys are a veteran bunch. You saw it during the pre-season, you may have seen players get beat mono e mono but you did not see the lapses in coverage were used to.

Allen’s system has been in place nearly 5 years now. They’ll be fine

Anyhow, it’s close to game time and just wanted to give a random insights as I firmly believe Saints have an early season advantage here thanks to some of the above factors.

Cheers🥂

Last edited:
If your other counter is Our defense tends to be trash early in the season and or we don’t do well vs rookie QB’s, you might have me there.

Interior pocket presence is a huge question but Dennis Allen does come from the 3G school of defense…they will manufacture A gap pressure through stunts, games, and LB blitzes from the 2nd level. In fact Gardner, Davis, Alexander, and Jenkins are all capable 2nd level Blitzers.

The secondary isn’t a huge concern for me unless there is injury. The CB situation is very similar to the LB situation in that you’re only playing with 2 guys as primary starters because your base defense is a big Nickel with CJGJ as your slot CB. Dime is next up and I’m sure Adebo can handle those responsibilities just fine.

The other caveat is those guys are a veteran bunch. You saw it during the pre-season, you may have seen players get beat mono e mono but you did not see the lapses in coverage were used to.

Anyhow, it’s close to game time and just wanted to give a random insights as I firmly believe Saints have an early season advantage here thanks to some of the above factors.

Cheers🥂

I think this may be the season the defense doesn't start slow. The way Payton bent over backwards to retain Nielsen... man... if Dennis Allen didn't get the message...

3-2 at worst? You're living in a dream world, but that would be a great start. I anticipate the Saints will round into their 2021 form in the second half of the season. It'll be tough sledding in the first half of the season, with so many starters departed or sitting out for various reasons, and the offense needing time to jell with Winston under center. The secondary will get a game 1 gut check, when Aaron Rodgers torches tests the Saints secondary early and often. A wild card berth and/or a winning record would be a solid season for a team that is in transition to finding its next franchise QB. This is Jameis Winston's audition season to become the Saints' next franchise QB. Ian Book is in a good place to develop. Taysom got a fair shot at QB, and will revert to his multi-position role (unless he wants to be traded).

3-2 at worst? You're living in a dream world, but that would be a great start. I anticipate the Saints will round into their 2021 form in the second half of the season. It'll be tough sledding in the first half of the season, with so many starters departed or sitting out for various reasons, and the offense needing time to jell with Winston under center. The secondary will get a game 1 gut check, when Aaron Rodgers torches tests the Saints secondary early and often. A wild card berth and/or a winning record would be a solid season for a team that is in transition to finding its next franchise QB. This is Jameis Winston's audition season to become the Saints' next franchise QB. Ian Book is in a good place to develop. Taysom got a fair shot at QB, and will revert to his multi-position role (unless he wants to be traded).
You said all that to say nothing and he broke it down better than you did lmao

This year is different because of the QB change in my view, so starting slow is not a luxury we can afford. The unspoken "we have Drew" confidence is no longer there and Jameis will have to earn that type of trust. GB has beaten us too many times for Sean to treat this game lightly.

Over the years I’ve noticed teams like the Patriots and the Saints are usually still tweaking things going into Week 1 of the season.

While obvious, yes, I mean to highlight that they will typically treat week 1 like pre-season week 5. Remember a few years back Austin Carr was our starting slot WR until roughly the 3rd game then he never saw the field again beyond injuries?

With one less pre-season game I expect this to be even more pronounced.

For at least the next 3 weeks these games will be glorified pre-season games where teams with A1 coaching staffs and mostly set rosters will have the biggest advantage.

Granted we’re facing the Packers week 1 nullifying this a bit, the Saints next 4 games are versus Mac Jones, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Of those 4 only Jones has been with his team more than 1 year and under Garrett they finished 31st in Total offense and points scored in 2020. Coaches already complain about the limited time they have with players and less stable teams really tend to feel that more!

There’s potential to go 5-0 at best, 4-1 if the Packers results in a loss and 3-2 at worst.

If one of your counters is “Yeah but Jameis Winston is also on his 1st year as starter, keep in mind it’s his 2nd year in the offense.

Cheers🥂
All great point. I just need to add another one.

We all know we have one of the best offensive lines in football, but the unit tends to start slow, and be dominant by week 6. I really don't know the reason, since we are not changing players, but every single year we read the complains of our line not playing up to part at the start of the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom