Song of Ice & Fire: GoT Spoilers Within (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Kind of Messed Up
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since the Game of Thrones thread has gone off topic a bit with fighting about book spoilers and such (I have seen it in every GoT thread on any message board, so not calling anyone out), I thought I would open a separate thread to discuss the books and the show.

THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS. So, if you haven't read the books and don't want to know what will be happening, read no further. Otherwise, enjoy the various theories of what may happen in the next books.

I always thought she would end up with Jon Snow in the end...until I just read that she IS his aunt. But then again this is GOT and the Targaryens have a history of incest...as do the Lannisters and many others we've encountered.

Pulled this from the other thread to get the discussion started here. I don't think it has ever been established who Jon Snow's mother is. There is speculation that he is Targaryan, but it is just speculation at this point. Some of the more avid readers may correct me, but I think that is the status as of the last book.

It's been awhile since I read the books, but doesn't Jon Snow die at the end of the last book? I understand there is some theory about the red priests reviving people, but Jon Snow is not a believer in that god, but in the 7 gods.

Pulled this from the other thread to get the discussion started here. I don't think it has ever been established who Jon Snow's mother is. There is speculation that he is Targaryan, but it is just speculation at this point. Some of the more avid readers may correct me, but I think that is the status as of the last book.

I started the "aunt" rumor on the other thread. It is theory not fact. The theory is...

Ned Stark's sister (Lyanna) was betrothed to the oafish brute Robert Baratheon, but instead ran off with pretty-boy knight-poet Rheager Targaryen (already married with children, but no matter). This sparked Robert's Rebellion. Lyanna hid in a tower in Dorne, and died giving birth to their love child, as Ned came to save/arrest her. He promised to protect the child, and did so by claiming it to be his own. (You thought the honorable Ned Stark really cheated on his wife???) And the story was believable because Jon Snow looked like he had Stark blood - he did but from his mother not his father. Still a ******* though. One of Ned's bannermen lives to tell the tale: Jojen Reed, the Swamp Lord, (Westeros equivalent of Cajuns) whose children are assisting Brann with his "trips" up north.

Rheagar's wife and children were supposedly murdered by the Lannisters - that some survive is another theory (with less support).

A third theory was that Rob Stark's wife survives with his unborn son. She was not at the Red Wedding in the book. The HBO version of the Red Wedding pretty much sinks this theory, unless they plan a MAJOR divergence from the books.

I started the "aunt" rumor on the other thread. It is theory not fact. The theory is...

Ned Stark's sister (Lyanna) was betrothed to the oafish brute Robert Baratheon, but instead ran off with pretty-boy knight-poet Rheager Targaryen (already married with children, but no matter). This sparked Robert's Rebellion. Lyanna hid in a tower in Dorne, and died giving birth to their love child, as Ned came to save/arrest her. He promised to protect the child, and did so by claiming it to be his own. (You thought the honorable Ned Stark really cheated on his wife???) And the story was believable because Jon Snow looked like he had Stark blood - he did but from his mother not his father. Still a ******* though. One of Ned's bannermen lives to tell the tale: Jojen Reed, the Swamp Lord, (Westeros equivalent of Cajuns) whose children are assisting Brann with his "trips" up north.

Rheagar's wife and children were supposedly murdered by the Lannisters - that some survive is another theory (with less support).

A third theory was that Rob Stark's wife survives with his unborn son. She was not at the Red Wedding in the book. The HBO version of the Red Wedding pretty much sinks this theory, unless they plan a MAJOR divergence from the books.

Very interesting theory. Is this your personal theory or did you read this somewhere else?

It's been awhile since I read the books, but doesn't Jon Snow die at the end of the last book? I understand there is some theory about the red priests reviving people, but Jon Snow is not a believer in that god, but in the 7 gods.

He is stabbed, and it goes dark. No confirmation that he is dead. He could have just gone unconscious, and the next book picks up with him waking up. Or he could be dead and is brought back.

Or, he could be dead and stays dead. This is GRRM.

Its a general consensus that the fan based has come too based on what we know to date. That Jon Snow is the ******* Son of Raegar Targarian and Lyanna Stark. Weather or not Martin chooses to confirm this in the next book or too remains to be scene.

Oh and Jon doesn't have to be a believer in the Lord of Light for Melisandre to revive him. Beric Dodonarian wasn't a believer when Thoros revived him the first time.

Its a general consensus that the fan based has come too based on what we know to date. That Jon Snow is the ******* Son of Raegar Targarian and Lyanna Stark. Weather or not Martin chooses to confirm this in the next book or too remains to be scene.

If that holds true, that would give us three Targaryen heirs in Jon, Dany, and that third kid who Tyrion stumbled upon in the most recent book. So, 3 Targaryen's, 3 dragons. Works for me!

Yeah, i always kind of thought that he would turn out to be the son of Raegar and Lyanna. i really do hope they bring Jon Snow back somehow. Not saying I'm going to lose any sleep if they don't , but his story along with Arya, the Hound and Tyrion were all the most compelling to me. I think the books will really lose something with his character gone. By the way, the full blown melt down in living rooms all over the world when this happens is going to be epic....

By the way, you might want to put asterisks outside the word "spoilers" in the the thread title, cuz we've gone off the deep end right off the bat....

He is stabbed, and it goes dark. No confirmation that he is dead. He could have just gone unconscious, and the next book picks up with him waking up. Or he could be dead and is brought back.

Or, he could be dead and stays dead. This is GRRM.

I'm guessing his spirit is going to go into Ghost. In the novels the connection between the Starks and their dire wolves is more pronounced. Arya dreams of being her wolf at night and raiding killing stray Lannister soldiers for example. Bran does the same....which, BTW, his plot line really underwhelmed me. A tree? Really? You spend all this time hinting that Bran had this latent magical power that would be other worldly powerful and it is to become one with a tree?

Yeah, i always kind of thought that he would turn out to be the son of Raegar and Lyanna. i really do hope they bring Jon Snow back somehow. Not saying I'm going to lose any sleep if they don't , but his story along with Arya, the Hound and Tyrion were all the most compelling to me. I think the books will really lose something with his character gone. By the way, the full blown melt down in living rooms all over the world when this happens is going to be epic....

As soon as I finished the chapter where Jon was stabbed, I immediately figured that Melisandre would play a role in his resurrection. (if he is in fact dead)

You spend all this time hinting that Bran had this latent magical power that would be other worldly powerful and it is to become one with a tree?

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I am guessing he is stuck in that cave for the rest of his life. Granted, he can travel anywhere and any time through trees and such, but still kind of sucks in my opinion.

I'm guessing his spirit is going to go into Ghost. In the novels the connection between the Starks and their dire wolves is more pronounced. Arya dreams of being her wolf at night and raiding killing stray Lannister soldiers for example. Bran does the same....which, BTW, his plot line really underwhelmed me. A tree? Really? You spend all this time hinting that Bran had this latent magical power that would be other worldly powerful and it is to become one with a tree?

I can't help but wonder about Bran. His character holds the most intrigue for me. He controlled a human, and Jojen said that he wasn't supposed to be able to do that. Can he control a dragon?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom